Show us your vintage headphones!
Aug 26, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #2,776 of 3,128
Or earbuds for that matter. I'm definitely trying to find some but at the prices... Still though, a MDR-CD7 is a dream phone
If sound quality is the goal, don't bother with vintage earbuds.
Modern buds have long surpassed their vintage ancestors.

Some of them are still nice to have though.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #2,778 of 3,128
If sound quality is the goal, don't bother with vintage earbuds.
Modern buds have long surpassed their vintage ancestors.

Some of them are still nice to have though.
Well, it depends on what are the subjects of the comparison. My mdr-e262 held it's own against a 300+ priced AkG not long ago. Modern stuff are tend to overdo on the bass department in many cases, whereas these specific (not all) vintage stuff are significantly more balanced.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #2,779 of 3,128
Or earbuds for that matter. I'm definitely trying to find some but at the prices... Still though, a MDR-CD7 is a dream phone
Earbuds for sure. MDR-E series, or Aiwa HP-V, D series. Although I don't recommend you the CD-5-6-7. They surely were a big thing when they came out, but the later models (still in the eighties, early nineties) are so much better.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #2,780 of 3,128
Well, it depends on what are the subjects of the comparison. My mdr-e262 held it's own against a 300+ priced AkG not long ago. Modern stuff are tend to overdo on the bass department many times, whereas these specific (not all) vintage stuff are significantly more balanced.
Earbuds, not IEMS.

Aug 26, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #2,782 of 3,128
Earbuds for sure. MDR-E series, or Aiwa HP-V, D series. Although I don't recommend you the CD-5-6-7. They surely were a big thing when they came out, but the later models (still in the eighties, early nineties) are so much better.
I am always fond of that era of Japanese hi-fi, the insanity of the bubble era. Not just headphones either~

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #2,783 of 3,128
I am always fond of that era of Japanese hi-fi, the insanity of the bubble era. Not just headphones either~
Best era for sure. Approx 1982-1996-97, crazy amount of money were invested into the industry (which was not the kind of industry how it is today) - and awesome stuff were born. The bulk of my stuff are from that era. I prefer them to what most I heard from today's gear. And even more beautiful. The peak of Japanese industrial art. And you're right, not just headphones. Though I know mostly those. :)

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #2,784 of 3,128
The 40 is great but with recessed bass, the 51 has a greater soundstage
I remember my original mdr44 from the 90s to have very thin (and fragile and unobtainable) earpads. Today I use portapro pads on them, they seem the most similar to the originals, although I wonder if with the maybe thinner originals there was more bass in all of these little gems.

Aug 27, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #2,785 of 3,128
I remember my original mdr44 from the 90s to have very thin (and fragile and unobtainable) earpads. Today I use portapro pads on them, they seem the most similar to the originals, although I wonder if with the maybe thinner originals there was more bass in all of these little gems.
Yes! I had the M44. Sold it, and I regret my decision. I plan to buy one when the opportunity comes. You are correct, those pads were made exactly to fulfill their acoustical purpose, and it seems like almost nothing can replace them as their shape and lightness contributed to the sound with their specific bass enhancement/isolation factor. Their strength is their weakness, as they are very fragile and almost impossible to replace.

Aug 27, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #2,786 of 3,128
You mean earbuds are better? I'm genuinely interested, can you mention a few? I'm a Sony earbud maniac and-if not else-would like to extend my knowledge. I know some recent stuff, but nothing I heard so far were as good as my favourite vintage gear.
The only two modern buds I have that I really enjoy are the Sabia V6 and Y.i.nyoo BK2, although BK2 does clearly stand a clear level above the rest of my buds.
I haven't heard the modern super-high-end super expensive stuff, but BK2 does beat what some consider the peak of vintage ear buds.... specifically, Technics dual driver technology, which does require significant EQ'ing to be enjoyed.
That said... once EQ'd it does produce the best bass I've heard from an earbud... so it is a bit 'swings and roundabouts' with these.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:32 AM Post #2,787 of 3,128
The only two modern buds I have that I really enjoy are the Sabia V6 and Y.i.nyoo BK2, although BK2 does clearly stand a clear level above the rest of my buds.
I haven't heard the modern super-high-end super expensive stuff, but BK2 does beat what some consider the peak of vintage ear buds.... specifically, Technics dual driver technology, which does require significant EQ'ing to be enjoyed.
That said... once EQ'd it does produce the best bass I've heard from an earbud... so it is a bit 'swings and roundabouts' with these.
Thanks, interesting! I'll look for a BK2. Never heard the dual driver Technics, but had a phone call not long ago with another crazy vintage enthusiast from my country (we are both Hungarians, but we "met" at a Thai Earbuds forum on Facebook, funny life :) ) - and he said that the Technics might not even be that strong on the bass, the dual driver thing does not necessarily bring out what we might consider a strong bass when we talk about a 20mm driver earbud - which might correlate to what you write about the strong EQing. Otherwise what I find with the MDR-E262 or the MDR-E282, is that they are usually good out of the box. The 262 is a bit more natural (although it has the reflex tube), the 282 has it's own world, definitely colours the sound, but in a way that is quite appealing- at least for my taste. And the soundstage is fantastic.

Aug 27, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #2,788 of 3,128
Thanks, interesting! I'll look for a BK2. Never heard the dual driver Technics, but had a phone call not long ago with another crazy vintage enthusiast from my country (we are both Hungarians, but we "met" at a Thai Earbuds forum on Facebook, funny life :) ) - and he said that the Technics might not even be that strong on the bass, the dual driver thing does not necessarily bring out what we might consider a strong bass when we talk about a 20mm driver earbud - which might correlate to what you write about the strong EQing. Otherwise what I find with the MDR-E262 or the MDR-E282, is that they are usually good out of the box. The 262 is a bit more natural (although it has the reflex tube), the 282 has it's own world, definitely colours the sound, but in a way that is quite appealing- at least for my taste. And the soundstage is fantastic.
I think I know what you mean with those Sonys.
I also have the JVC HA-F105 from around the same era as those 2, and it's just about perfectly balanced and natural sounding.
Instead of a 'reflex tube' it has something called a 'spiral duct'... which is likely doing the same job with a different design.
Definitely was the golden age of buds... all the modern stuff is just copying and improving on the old designs.

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #2,789 of 3,128
Their strength is their weakness, as they are very fragile and almost impossible to replace.
I remember that they were almost impossible to buy already at the time. Note, I was referring to the mdr-44, not the bigger M44, which seems a very good headphones indeed :)

Aug 27, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #2,790 of 3,128
I think I know what you mean with those Sonys.
I also have the JVC HA-F105 from around the same era as those 2, and it's just about perfectly balanced and natural sounding.
Instead of a 'reflex tube' it has something called a 'spiral duct'... which is likely doing the same job with a different design.
Definitely was the golden age of buds... all the modern stuff is just copying and improving on the old designs.
Ooo man, that JVC...always wondered how it might sound :) Yeah, it's the bass duct or spiral duct, I just say reflex tube sometimes, and you are right, it's about the same thing. On that, the Aiwa HP-V99 might be the best of all with it's 6MM duct. I owned a stock version, but it was a bit small for my ears somehow. I'd like a standalone version of that one day, bu when we talk about crazy prices, well...the V99 really fits the description. TBH I can't see how these could be improved. I think those times reached perfection. I mean everything I hear today are usually metal sounding, a bit artificial, too much bass, overpowered dynamics, not balanced...what is surprisingly good imho is the Monk. The original, Plus, Lite, they are all decent little buds, especially for the price. And Lee is a cool guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back