Show us your vintage headphones!
Dec 15, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,801 of 3,128
Are these in any way related to the Jecklin Floats? If I remember correctly, there were both electrostatic and dynamic versions of that model...

Dec 16, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #1,802 of 3,128
Are these in any way related to the Jecklin Floats? If I remember correctly, there were both electrostatic and dynamic versions of that model...

Yes, Precide manufactured the Floats. After the Floats were discontinued, Precide introduced the ERGO line. 
Now QUAD still makes the Float, "QA' or something like that. 

Dec 18, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #1,803 of 3,128
Originally Posted by MrTechAgent  

Precide ERGO 1.
The assembly of the Drivers is shallow yet it sounds absolutely mesmerizing after some major correction.  

The dynamic driver looks similar to those in MB Quart headphones. The magnet may be different.

MB Quart Phone 50

MB Quart Phone 85

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #1,804 of 3,128

The dynamic driver looks similar to those in MB Quart headphones. The magnet may be different.

Indeed, you are correct. 
That relation is due to the Peerless's acquisition of MB-Quart in the 1970s and close work with the Jecklin team. I haven't seen the Model 2 Drivers but it's safe to assume they use MB Drivers as well. 

That QP-85 is beautiful, very lucky man! 

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,806 of 3,128
Please explain where that awesome stainless headband came from!

Dec 19, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #1,807 of 3,128
Please explain where that awesome stainless headband came from!

Just a local hardware supermarket. 
Had many various steel and aluminium strips, and right angles, rods, pipes, square tubes of various thicknesses and finishes.
It's actually on the heavy side and doesn't flex as much as I thought it would... I may buy a thinner grade steel in future, but I don't think they had a thinner stainless variant.
So the next time I post, it might be a black-painted steel band, but I wore it for over 4 hours yesterday without discomfort, so I might just leave it for the looks.

The stock one comes off easily with 4 screws, completely non-destructive and reversible mod - so now it actually fits my head properly, the stock band is TINY.
I just had to file the edges a bit to fit in where it gets more narrow at the base of the plastic joint housing, and not screw-up drilling the 19mm distance between the holes.
Then I glued on two short bolts with epoxy directly to the steel, popped out some small holes for the leather for these bolts to thread through, and just hold it in place with two washers either side of the leather and a nut.
I will probably get shiny round-topped nuts later, I was sure I had a few spare, but alas, grimy old nuts will do for now.

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #1,809 of 3,128

Radio Shack Realistic Pro-60. They have Koss embossed on them but I couldn't tell you what model they are based on. Very lightweight so they may be from the late 80's-early 90's. They came with homemade cushions but I replaced them with a some Earzonk copies of Grado L cushions that fit over my ears because of the Pro-60's flat baffles. They came with the original box and spec sheet and the spec sheet says 100 ohms. They respond to my amp quite well. 

I purchased my first pair of these in 1981 or 1982, absolutely fantastic sound for the time. The speaker itself is made of titanium. They were sold by Koss as the HV-7, HV/X, and HV-pro. The Koss version was a chocolate brown, and the pro-60 is black. Indeed the pads would always rot, and are no longer manufactured. The twisty mechanism for the earpiece sometimes would cause the wires to separate inside of the earpieces from the driver.
I recently bought a new in the box pair of the pro 60 from an eBay dealer, the pads had rotted, Koss sent me a replacement pad of dis-similar construction that does not sound as good . . . so I will probably take the same route you did for pad replacement.

Jan 15, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,811 of 3,128
Jan 15, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,812 of 3,128
  looking to buy sennheiser 414,  2000 ohms.

anyone heard a set of janszen z 400?

do you know what headphone amplifer could drive 2000ohms? 

Jan 15, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #1,813 of 3,128

I don't understand your question?

I  think the answer is a marntz 2325. 

any thing you want as it was explained to me back in the day.

the sennheisser 414, came with 8 ohm drivers. 600 ohm drivers and 2000 ohm drivers.

as far as wattage 125 watts was the most I could put thru them.

tho I did hook them to the concord car stereo. 25 watts (.2 thd), metal tape, 3 band eq built in. with aux in/output. very capable unit.

attached portable panasonic cd player.

dire straits in the cd player gave new meaning meaning to the word "cartoons".

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,814 of 3,128
sorry.i didn't read few pages from this thread. i was asking that.because i have toshiba hr 810.there's this switch in the headphone plug.it could change the ohm nominal to 8, 300, and 1000 ohm. i don't have enough experience with headphone amplifier or receiver.but everytime i had a chance to plug them to audio store.i couldn't drive the headphone in 1000 ohm without distortion

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/aurex/HR-810.html&usg=ALkJrhgh1cLVIpiPZswhJqdFFheGffUiqA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back