Show us your vintage headphones!
May 22, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #2,701 of 3,147
Koss Pro/4AA from 1970-something. The pads were dried out and hard so I replaced them with some foam pads. Didn’t sound good, they were muffled and boxy, with no bass. I got a pair of new 250 ohm drivers from Aliexpress, and now they sound slightly less muffled and boxy, with no bass. Oh well. They look cool at least. D43B2BE3-F332-478C-9AA7-ACC9AB08CA34.jpeg

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #2,703 of 3,147
This thing is so hard to power but I seem to get decent, clean output with my Chord Mojo, that and my home theater amps. The Topping A50S could barely power it, the dial was at max :p

0870570A-B504-4443-BDEC-BCDA0AF4E4C1.jpeg

May 23, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #2,705 of 3,147
Howdy friends!
I'm a relatively new member here and am the appreciative recipient of some this board's sage advice. I own a pair of all original, vintage Yahama YH-1000. Here are a few pics. They were originally purchased by my father, in Westport, CT. I am unsure of the store name, somewhere in the early 80's. They survived many years by sitting in his stereo cabinet, with his Yamaha B-4 amps, powering his Yamaha NS-1000 M's. Quite a set up to grow up around. Anyhow, the amps are gone and so are the speakers, but the headphones live on! Thanks for hosting a helpful and friendly message board!
That's one hell of a post! Not one but two YH-1000s! Shame about the speakers and amps though, two other legendary audio equipment

May 23, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #2,707 of 3,147
One of my dream headphones right there, how do they sound?
Hi,
look at my impressions at post 2 696. With the right song it can compete with the 009 in speed, clarity and detail. But never forget: Bass is not his strong part!
Which kind of Lambda is this on your picture? For me, the Lambda Normal is still on of the best, most musical headphones of all. Drive it with a SRD-7 on a got amp and you get 95% of sound for 10% of the price of TOTLs.
Enjoy it!

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #2,708 of 3,147
Hallo,
yes, the ERGO AMT was recabled by ATT Saar to give him more bass. But bass still is the weakest part of it. Mids and Highs are magically, very fast and clean. So if you listen to the right music, it is first class. Good for hot weather. Problem: the cable is heavy like a snake.
Can't believe I missed it~ It's curious though as the last headphones using AMT, the TakeT H2+ had phenomenal bass.

Hi,
look at my impressions at post 2 696. With the right song it can compete with the 009 in speed, clarity and detail. But never forget: Bass is not his strong part!
Is this a Lambda Normal on your picture? For me, the Lambda is still on of the best, most musical headphones of all. Drive it with a SRD-7 on a got amp and you get 95% of sound for 10% of the price of TOTLs.
Enjoy it!

No, rather the Lambda Nova Signature however....
20210523_113911.jpg

I do have a Lambda normal bias which is probably my favourite headphone in my collection. And I run my Stax off a Stax SRA-3S tube amplifier~

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #2,709 of 3,147
Can't believe I missed it~ It's curious though as the last headphones using AMT, the TakeT H2+ had phenomenal bass.

No, rather the Lambda Nova Signature however....
20210523_113911.jpg
I do have a Lambda normal bias which is probably my favourite headphone in my collection. And I run my Stax off a Stax SRA-3S tube amplifier~
Nice to here you collecting Stax too! I do have quite a few, missing only a SR-X Mk3 Pro and the Orpheus (too expensive). The Nova Signature for me is the best of the older Lambdas. Took me a while to get a nice one. Here is a picture of my collection:
98AE987E-4D93-44BE-B3FF-A79AF7750544.jpeg

May 23, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #2,710 of 3,147
Nice to here you collecting Stax too! I do have quite a few, missing only a SR-X Mk3 Pro and the Orpheus (too expensive). The Nova Signature for me is the best of the older Lambdas. Took me a while to get a nice one. Here is a picture of my collection:98AE987E-4D93-44BE-B3FF-A79AF7750544.jpeg
That's one hell of a collection! But indeed I own a few stax including,
20210523_120121.jpg

An Alpha pro which shares the driver with the SR-X MkIII Pro. Though for some reason it won't work with the modified pro output of my amp, unlike the LNS. I think the rarest stax I own is a first generation SR-X which is sitting in a box with other stax stuff in a different country~

May 23, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #2,711 of 3,147
That's one hell of a collection! But indeed I own a few stax including,
20210523_120121.jpg

An Alpha pro which shares the driver with the SR-X MkIII Pro. Though for some reason it won't work with the modified pro output of my amp, unlike the LNS. I think the rarest stax I own is a first generation SR-X which is sitting in a box with other stax stuff in a different country~
Didn’t know about the Alpha. Sound is comparable to the Lambdas?
Do you know this side, where all the Stax are described and measured? https://www.inexxon.com/stax-modelle/stax-kopfhörer/

May 23, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,712 of 3,147
Didn’t know about the Alpha. Sound is comparable to the Lambdas?
Do you know this side, where all the Stax are described and measured? https://www.inexxon.com/stax-modelle/stax-kopfhörer/
Compared to the Lambda NB, a much more intimate and warmer sound. They sound fuller and just as musical though the treble isn't as good. Harsher I'd say. I do think they're much more detailed than the lambda, in fact, one of the most detailed I have alongside the Beyer DT-48 and Elega DR-631 but it's not in your face. It's there, hidden away by the slight colouration though still not forgiving of bad recordings. Definitely not as open or airy as the Lambda, it's like sitting in a pub rather than a concert hall. But yeah, they're a short second to the Lambda NB for me. If you heard the older stax like the SR-3 or SR-5, the alpha pretty much has the same signature but fuller and better resolution.

I didn't know about the site so thanks! Very interesting to see how they graph.

May 23, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #2,713 of 3,147
Compared to the Lambda NB, a much more intimate and warmer sound. They sound fuller and just as musical though the treble isn't as good. Harsher I'd say. I do think they're much more detailed than the lambda, in fact, one of the most detailed I have alongside the Beyer DT-48 and Elega DR-631 but it's not in your face. It's there, hidden away by the slight colouration though still not forgiving of bad recordings. Definitely not as open or airy as the Lambda, it's like sitting in a pub rather than a concert hall. But yeah, they're a short second to the Lambda NB for me. If you heard the older stax like the SR-3 or SR-5, the alpha pretty much has the same signature but fuller and better resolution.

I didn't know about the site so thanks! Very interesting to see how they graph.

Its nice to see oldies can be enjoyed :D . For music "enjoyment" my road ended with vintage Stax. Sigma NB + SR-5NB which i think share drivers of the SR-X MKIII 2 micron IIRC. I made a poor man's 007 by slapping the sheepskin pads on them. I like the boxy sigs which never go overboard and are pleasant. Though when i am bass hungry I need Fostex biocellulose. And to study the music, the vintage dt48/480.

Crazy how the flimsy plastic STAX have survived 40 years and many heads and shipping.

May 23, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #2,714 of 3,147
Its nice to see oldies can be enjoyed :D . For music "enjoyment" my road ended with vintage Stax. Sigma NB + SR-5NB which i think share drivers of the SR-X MKIII 2 micron IIRC. I made a poor man's 007 by slapping the sheepskin pads on them. I like the boxy sigs which never go overboard and are pleasant. Though when i am bass hungry I need Fostex biocellulose. And to study the music, the vintage dt48/480.

Crazy how the flimsy plastic STAX have survived 40 years and many heads and shipping.
Quite right, with the Lambda NB I pretty much stopped looking for the "best" headphone. If I wanted something with more resolution then I go with the DT-48. I'm still looking for headphones but more out of interest for how they sound rather than how good.

Though a Lambda Signature would be nice~

May 23, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #2,715 of 3,147
Quite right, with the Lambda NB I pretty much stopped looking for the "best" headphone. If I wanted something with more resolution then I go with the DT-48. I'm still looking for headphones but more out of interest for how they sound rather than how good.

Though a Lambda Signature would be nice~
Same with me. I don`t rank them anymore and leave each of them their charakter. But listening to music starts with the Lambda NB. The older models are more for collection - maybe I am wrong with the Alpha (Thanks for your detailed description!)
I don`t see myself as collector. I just can`t let them go and hate selling and all the problems around it.
@ SHAMuuu : Life isn`t sooo nice, if you spend ALL your money for headphones, because you are addicted. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back