Show us your vintage headphones!
Jan 19, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #2,161 of 3,123
Sorry for the position....
20180119_101145.jpg

Jan 19, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #2,163 of 3,123
It's worth mentioning the 880 is a fully open-back and 990 is a semi-open back, with a much smaller opening.
The grills deceptively cover the entire rear of the headphone, but behind the white cloth is a hole about 15mm in diameter in the middle of another plastic cup.
So they served different purposes and were tuned differently.

Thanks for that GREQ - I have long suspected I needed the '85 DT880 now we can happily confirm it - How does it compare to the '85 DT990 ?

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #2,166 of 3,123
The brochure of the 1985 DT 990 doesn't exactly help :D (Not the best translation!)

PROFESSIONAL HIFI STEREO HEADPHONES
DT 990 PRO
To improve a top-handset like the DT 990 is hardly possible. On the other hand
Can you give it to special Ve
fit. The single-sided spiral cable facilitates handling
the listener, if this must constantly be set up and set down - a robust
Spring steel headband not only gives it a secure fit, but also
the mechanical reliability, which is indispensable in daily use.
such as studio use,
open
5-35,000 Hz
Nominal impedance (DIN 45581)
Characteristic sound pressure level (DIN 45581):

Another Brochure from 1998 has a bit more:

Closed headphone. Bass reflex system provides incomparable sound volume and unadulterated reproduction of lowest frequencies.
Impulse response is sufficient for electrostatic headphones. diffuse field equalization.
Robust spring steel headband. One-sided cable management
DT 99o PRO
Open headphone based on the legendary DT 990. more spacious,
Balanced sound due to diffuse field equalization. Excellent rendering
Robust spring steel headband for a secure fit
One-sided cable management.
Cutting edge technology and strength combined in a modern

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #2,167 of 3,123
The HR-V7's finally came in today!

Aurex HR-V7 Electrets - complete with paperwork and box!

Specs:

Diaphragm - 51mm 4 microns thick polyester film
Impedance - 4000 ohms
Frequency range - 20-20,000Hz
Sensitivity - 107 dB/3V
Cable length - 2.5m
Weight - 190g

Needs a LOT of juice. I think these use the same diaphragms as its bigger brother: the Aurex HR-V9. The specs of the diaphragms on both headphones are exactly the same. Tyll's measurements of the HR-V9 show a very good FR. My impressions of the headphones do kind of mirror Tyll's measurements. I would've assumed it remained neutral after 1 kHz until 2 or 3 kHz, but hey I don't know. I may be completely wrong.

First general impressions:

- Very little earcup articulation - some top and bottom adjustments, no forward and back adjustments
- Very low clamp
- Lightweight at 190g
- Looks very pretty
- Cable's pretty long at 2.5m
- Earpads are kinda flaking
- Solid build, flexible and supple

I think my Gustard H10 amp is not powerful enough to push these. Again, these need a LOT of juice. There is a noticeable amount of distortion in the bass on +12 gain past 12 o'clock (no idea if this is the headphone or the amp at its limits). EDM is a no-no past 12 o'clock. It's a fair listening volume though.

As a comparison, I was able to listen to an HE-6 comfortably at +12 gain around 12 o'clock.

First impressions on sound:

Tight and quick bass that does seem light due to the low clamp. A decent amount of punch although not dynamic or planar level. Pushing the back of the earcups does make them sound fuller and seems to extend lower. The bass response seems similar to the response of the AD2000X when earcups are not pushed against the head. Actually the overall response seems to be very similar to the AD2000X with the AD2000X having more emphasis in the 4 kHz region.

The mids seem to be pretty natural sounding. Maybe a slight sense of shoutiness, but that would be if I were to be critical about it. Female vocals sound pretty great on these as they do on the AD2000X. So far I don't notice anything terrible about the mids.

The overall treble response is inoffensive and smooth. Maybe a bit of sparkle up top, but very little. Not an immediately detailed sounding headphone and doesn't seem to be airy sounding. I'd say it's on par with an HD650 in treble response.

Overall signature is a bit mid-centric. A smooth sounding headphone with an inoffensive treble response and tight low end.

A good amount of soundstage width actually. I'd say it's about the HD650 in width. Maybe. Very good imaging and separation of instruments. I would say less so than an HD650, but still very impressive. Doesn't sound like a jumbled mess.

It's weird. As I'm listening and typing my thoughts down, I'm starting to like these more and more for less bassier songs. EDM or anything bassy is stuck around 12 o'clock though.

Overall, I'm liking these quite a bit. It's lightweight and sounds pretty good. I think plugging these into something that swings more power will really make these shine.

0124181634a.jpg

More pictures:

0124181502.jpg 0124181502a.jpg 0124181502b.jpg0124181502c.jpg 0124181502d.jpg 0124181503.jpg 0124181506.jpg0124181506a.jpg0124181506b.jpg 0124181506c.jpg 0124181507.jpg 0124181508.jpg0124181634.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,168 of 3,123
The HR-V7's finally came in today!

Aurex HR-V7 Electrets - complete with paperwork and box!

Specs:

Diaphragm - 51mm 4 microns thick polyester film
Impedance - 4000 ohms
Frequency range - 20-20,000Hz
Sensitivity - 107 dB/3V
Cable length - 2.5m
Weight - 190g

Needs a LOT of juice. I think these use the same diaphragms as its bigger brother: the Aurex HR-V9. The specs of the diaphragms on both headphones are exactly the same. Tyll's measurements of the HR-V9 show a very good FR. My impressions of the headphones do kind of mirror Tyll's measurements. I would've assumed it remained neutral after 1 kHz until 2 or 3 kHz, but hey I don't know. I may be completely wrong.

First general impressions:

- Very little earcup articulation - some top and bottom adjustments, no forward and back adjustments
- Very low clamp
- Lightweight at 190g
- Looks very pretty
- Cable's pretty long at 2.5m
- Earpads are kinda flaking
- Solid build, flexible and supple

I think my Gustard H10 amp is not powerful enough to push these. Again, these need a LOT of juice. There is a noticeable amount of distortion in the bass on +12 gain past 12 o'clock (no idea if this is the headphone or the amp at its limits). EDM is a no-no past 12 o'clock. It's a fair listening volume though.

As a comparison, I was able to listen to an HE-6 comfortably at +12 gain around 12 o'clock.

First impressions on sound:

Tight and quick bass that does seem light due to the low clamp. A decent amount of punch although not dynamic or planar level. Pushing the back of the earcups does make them sound fuller and seems to extend lower. The bass response seems similar to the response of the AD2000X when earcups are not pushed against the head. Actually the overall response seems to be very similar to the AD2000X with the AD2000X having more emphasis in the 4 kHz region.

The mids seem to be pretty natural sounding. Maybe a slight sense of shoutiness, but that would be if I were to be critical about it. Female vocals sound pretty great on these as they do on the AD2000X. So far I don't notice anything terrible about the mids.

The overall treble response is inoffensive and smooth. Maybe a bit of sparkle up top, but very little. Not an immediately detailed sounding headphone and doesn't seem to be airy sounding. I'd say it's on par with an HD650 in treble response.

Overall signature is a bit mid-centric. A smooth sounding headphone with an inoffensive treble response and tight low end.

A good amount of soundstage width actually. I'd say it's about the HD650 in width. Maybe. Very good imaging and separation of instruments. I would say less so than an HD650, but still very impressive. Doesn't sound like a jumbled mess.

It's weird. As I'm listening and typing my thoughts down, I'm starting to like these more and more for less bassier songs. EDM or anything bassy is stuck around 12 o'clock though.

Overall, I'm liking these quite a bit. It's lightweight and sounds pretty good. I think plugging these into something that swings more power will really make these shine.

More pictures:

If you have one lying around, try directly from the terminals of a speaker amp. Just...be careful. :p

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #2,169 of 3,123
If you have one lying around, try directly from the terminals of a speaker amp. Just...be careful. :p

I could probably plug them into my old receiver with a weird imbalance going on. It might be able to swing more power. Both channels go quiet and back to normal intermittently though. I'll try it out.

Not sure if I wanna mod them to run off off a speaker amp though. The plug looks too nice :D

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #2,170 of 3,123
I could probably plug them into my old receiver with a weird imbalance going on. It might be able to swing more power. Both channels go quiet and back to normal intermittently though. I'll try it out.

Not sure if I wanna mod them to run off off a speaker amp though. The plug looks too nice :D
No no my dude, make an adapter. If you have a multimeter, check whether the two grounds have continuity or not. If yes, get one of these (NJ3FC6):
34.4740.jpg

And look up a guide on how to wire it properly. Should be relatively straightforward.

Jan 24, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #2,171 of 3,123
@Feilong4
congrats! did v7 came with bag?
try to play it over night, the diaphragms need to be recharge i think. i remember i couldn't play hr810 at 1000 ohm,it just distortion all over the place. but after a few weeks listening with hr810 in 300 ohm setting,i try the 1000 ohm setting again and it sounds very clear,no distortion whatsoever. i have no idea about gustard amp. but i'm using CK2III and in 1000 ohm setting the volume knob at 2.30 clock to get my normal listening level. the third generation of back electret toshiba supposed to be the most efficient of their back electret products, so it should be easier to drive them compare to their previous generation

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #2,172 of 3,123
No no my dude, make an adapter. If you have a multimeter, check whether the two grounds have continuity or not. If yes, get one of these (NJ3FC6):
34.4740.jpg

And look up a guide on how to wire it properly. Should be relatively straightforward.

Ah. I didn't even think of that haha. If and whenever I do get a speaker amp, I'll make an adapter. Thanks!

@Feilong4
congrats! did v7 came with bag?
try to play it over night, the diaphragms need to be recharge i think. i remember i couldn't play hr810 at 1000 ohm,it just distortion all over the place. but after a few weeks listening with hr810 in 300 ohm setting,i try the 1000 ohm setting again and it sounds very clear,no distortion whatsoever. i have no idea about gustard amp. but i'm using CK2III and in 1000 ohm setting the volume knob at 2.30 clock to get my normal listening level. the third generation of back electret toshiba supposed to be the most efficient of their back electret products, so it should be easier to drive them compare to their previous generation

Hmm, what kind of bag? Like a carrying bag?

Yeah, I'll try playing them over night. I may have to give it a few weeks. I know I've read around with some people having to do so as you did with your HR810.

Here's the specs of the Gustard H10 amp (assuming it's correct): Output power: 570 mW (600 ohm load); 2200 mW (100 ohms); 2700 mW (50 ohms); 2000 mW (32 ohms); 1000 mW (16 ohms).

I have yet to try them on my receiver. Will update this post when I have.

Update:

Tried them on my receiver; it's a JVC R-X40.

Like with the AD2000X, it seems to be noticeably warmer and much nicer to listen to actually. Still a fair bit of distortion at higher volumes, but the R-X40 can definitely can push more power. The lack of a perfect seal makes the bass kinda flabby though. Pressing the earcups to my head really makes the bass much more controlled.

Too bad the receiver's got a really bad channel imbalance. I tried blowing out the dust with compressed air and cleaning the ports with contact cleaner which helped for a day but then returned the next. Anyone know what may be happening?

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #2,173 of 3,123

Nice pickup! Something with higher gain is definitely recommended to drive them. The HR-V7 may very well have the same guts as the HR-V9, they certainly looked very similar last I opened them up to have a look. Key difference is that the HR-V9 has a disc of fiberglass damping between the driver and tiny transformer built into the cup. You may want to try modding the HR-V7 with some damping material. I never got around to trying myself, but if they indeed share drivers with the HR-V9, then they should be capable of more bass quantity and a little smoother treble.

Jan 24, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #2,174 of 3,123
Nice pickup! Something with higher gain is definitely recommended to drive them. The HR-V7 may very well have the same guts as the HR-V9, they certainly looked very similar last I opened them up to have a look. Key difference is that the HR-V9 has a disc of fiberglass damping between the driver and tiny transformer built into the cup. You may want to try modding the HR-V7 with some damping material. I never got around to trying myself, but if they indeed share drivers with the HR-V9, then they should be capable of more bass quantity and a little smoother treble.

Thanks! Just tried them on my receiver and it definitely pushes more power. The bass is actually quite something when I push the earcups against my head for a better seal.

I haven't tried damping electrets so that'll be a fun exploration thing. I know you said you haven't got around to trying it, but any sorts of material you or anyone else reading this would recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back