Show us your vintage headphones!
Nov 4, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #2,131 of 3,123
@Tascam - I have a pair of these - if you mod them with cottom wool around the edges of the inside of the cups and a piece of felt in the middle behind the driver
they improve hugely!
I also put velour pads on mine - They are a nice headphone :)
Ps I think they [sometimes/maybe] share the same driver as the DT100 !!

Thanks for your sharing!

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #2,133 of 3,123
Also posted on a couple of threads.

Fostex T30. One of the few that I've been searching for a while.

1.jpg1 - 5AdneH1.jpg 2 - zhq5IHK.jpg 3 - RAFWxHk.jpg 4 - 3LrCKlj.jpg 5 - HF6NKh5.jpg

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #2,135 of 3,123
24991438_1591528637593096_8220995979790739961_n.jpg

Dec 28, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #2,139 of 3,123

Attachments

• _DSC9602.jpg
    _DSC9602.jpg
    551.7 KB · Views: 0
  • _DSC9578.jpg
    _DSC9578.jpg
    888 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 28, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2,141 of 3,123
Difficult to say if it's 'worth' the price, as I know how much significance this particular headphone has in Beyerdynamic history.
I like to think that the price of a headphone is not just a reflection of it's rarity or history but also a mark of it's technical achievement and performance at the time of it's release.

Since I'm fully aware of the objective abilities of almost all of it's contemporary dynamic siblings and a significant chunk of the competition (between the late 70's, up to the mid 80's), I think it has earned some of the hype.
I also think the over-inflated prices are more a reflection of an increased number of collectors, the growing number of people taking interest in vintage electronics and the inevitable rise of 'antique electronics'.

TLDR: I like it.

Dec 28, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #2,142 of 3,123
Does this even have history with Beyerdynamic? Aren't these drivers made by another manufacturer?
Actually, funnily enough the "sweet spot" for vintage electronics is probably right before you start calling them "antique." Like look at all the antique stuff available right now- seems like the prices are often dead cheap because there are no buyers, or it sits at the same high value forever, only moving between hands when a museum spots a piece they need. Often the largest cost is in shipping, since old stuff is usually big and heavy.

Jan 5, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #2,143 of 3,123
The AKG K250 - These headphones have blown mw away! - Imagine combining the AKG 240 Sextett (LP) with the Beyerdynamic (1985) DT 990, then add some 3D imaging
and you have the K250. Those of you have heard both those cans will appreciate what I am saying here about the K250's !!
The separation and detail of each individual instrument is breathtaking. It takes a LOT for me to find a headphone that reveals sounds in songs I haven't
heard before and yet here we have just that. I think I need to write a full review of these truly magical cans!

Of course they are not perfect. I had to find a thicker foam insert as the highs sometimes stop just short of being TOO sparkly - Listening through a hybrid tube amp though
makes them shine
You can hear how the 6 baffles being made of paper give less warmth than the sextet cloth baffles but I think the engineers deserve serious praise for what they produced here
I can understand their frustration that this model didn't do as well as they hoped!
I think they may well be one of the best 'treble-head' headphones out there - They have plenty of low end but the clarity and detail is incredible, especially for the times they were made

File 31-12-2017, 19 32 08.jpeg
File 31-12-2017, 19 30 35.jpeg

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,144 of 3,123
The AKG K250 - These headphones have blown mw away! - Imagine combining the AKG 240 Sextett (LP) with the Beyerdynamic (1985) DT 990, then add some 3D imaging
You can hear how the 6 baffles being made of paper give less warmth than the sextet cloth baffles

I've owned all three and K250 didn't impress me much if I'm honest, but that's mostly because I'm not a fan of strong treble.
Yours is in beautiful condition, nice find :)

Sextett cloth baffles? I guess you mean passive mylar diaphragms? I don't recall AKG ever using cloth for baffle port tuning.
Also it's worth mentioning the paper ports are not baffles, but baffle ports (since they're part of the baffle), but we get what you mean.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #2,145 of 3,123
Thanks GREQ, I appreciate the clarification!
TBH I didn't expect much from them - I don't like the regular K240 for music but thought the K250 may be a slight improvement so thought it would be worth the gamble.
I suspect I may have been lucky with this particular pair. Mr Tech wasn't impressed with the 250's either! butttt, I do find them very much as I described - I agree in that the treble 'can be' their weak point on some tracks and as such they are not perfect but listening to some creamy smooth Ella Fitzgerald from the wonderful Verve records gives a buttery smooth treble and a soundstage that is astonishingly good
Technically speaking though you appreciate the how good the sextet is in comparison - I can find the 250's fatiguing sometimes due to their WoW factor
Time and experience certainly means you don't get fooled by headphones that exaggerate qualities that at first can seem exciting but later you see how they are actually more HiFi than Reference.
Anyway, Im finding more and more over the years that the synergy of everything in your signal flow can make or break a listening experience.
I think I have been lucky with my current set up, more than anything!
Its certainly a headphone that has something unique to offer and has its own special place in my collection now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back