Shouldn't they combine open and closed designs into one headphone?
Nov 14, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #31 of 85

Quote:

Wow, I didn't realise something similar is around in the IEM world. I left it for more than a year now. It is very recent too. It will still be much harder to implement it in full-sized headphones, due to many factors. Not to sound pessimistic or anything; but realistic. Can you comment on the efficacy of that product (SP51)?

Don't be so sure. You may sell them for this.

I'm thinking of neutrality for the closed back and fun for the open back, like FA-003 and FA-011. In fact, that's how I came to this. I was struggling so much to decide which to buy, FA-011 or FA-006/3, because of the sound signature, pads, the price, and the cup design. Ideally, I'd buy both. But I'm a student, and there are minor things that would bug me even if I bought both.

I have yet to try the SP51's, but I have other MEE earphones and they're pretty decent. Granted I've jumped from the M9's to Grado SR80i's. I commute to college via bus, so the openness of the grado drives me crazy, but I love the open soundstage coming from it when I'm in a quiet place. I'd definitely buy a pair of headphones that changed from open to closed with little difficulty.

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #32 of 85
I've seen closed back - removable/reversible mods for the Sennheiser HD-650 - adding a large sound chamber closed back to them. No idea how the final sound was, or if they isolated well at all - but worth looking at. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #33 of 85

Quote:
I've seen closed back - removable/reversible mods for the Sennheiser HD-650 - adding a large sound chamber closed back to them. No idea how the final sound was, or if they isolated well at all - but worth looking at. 

I haven't seen or looked up those mods, but from the way you describe it, it sounds a bit clunky and rudimentary,. If it has decent SQ and isolated pretty well, it'd be worth a shot in my book.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

Any links?

It would be great if anybody can comment a little on the costs that are associated with the whole headphone manufacturing process, such as prototyping, making a small test batch, producing them on a small scale, and so on. Should I have the same manufacturer doing both the drivers and the parts or different ones? What design software do they usually use?

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #35 of 85

Quote:
Quote:

Any links?

It would be great if anybody can comment a little on the costs that are associated with the whole headphone manufacturing process, such as prototyping, making a small test batch, producing them on a small scale, and so on. Should I have the same manufacturer doing both the drivers and the parts or different ones? What design software do they usually use?

I know little to nothing about manufacturing, but I do know that for prototyping, 3d models are usually made via computer programs. I have friends in the engineering major here at university. Its how they do things for their production project.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #36 of 85
Yeah, that's why I asked as I'd like to give it a try even if no one else wants it to happen. I suppose as an "free-lancer", I can bring it to the market quicker than anyone, even if they try to do the exact same thing. The only difference between them and me is the financial backing and the experience needed.

If someone can make $30,000 in a few months as a complete noob by programming apps, I can too. (A story I recently heard from another head-fier) Now, let's see whether I have the same creativity, dedication, business opportunities and luck as that guy.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #37 of 85

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I asked as I'd like to give it a try even if no one else wants it to happen. I suppose as an "free-lancer", I can bring it to the market quicker than anyone, even if they try to do the exact same thing. The only difference between them and me is the financial backing and the experience needed.

If someone can make $30,000 in a few months as a complete noob by programming apps, I can too. (A story I recently heard from another head-fier) Now, let's see whether I have the same creativity, dedication, business opportunities and luck as that guy.

$30k in a few months?! I need to stop attending college and do whatever the hell he did.

Nah, my majors are psychology and criminology. I need my degree, technical expertise isn't my strong point.

Either way, I want it to happen, and if you get it up and running I'll even test them for you :3.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #38 of 85
The benefits of an open design are sonic - besides that is only has drawbacks. If they could really make a headphone that sounded as good closed as open then why even bother making it open?

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #39 of 85

Quote:
The benefits of an open design are sonic - besides that is only has drawbacks. If they could really make a headphone that sounded as good closed as open then why even bother making it open?

For some people, like me, we need to be able to hear when people are talking to us. Open cans allow us to do that while still giving us the benefit of good sounding music. Also, it seems easier for manufacturers to make better sounding cans easier just by making an open version. Maybe they don't want the time, effort or possess the engineering skill needed to make a closed high end can worth the price. For example, the tma-1 is a closed can, costs roughly 200, and it's debatable on whether the sound quality is worth the price, causing it to be a heavily underrated phone. I like to think that it is worth it, despite the need for EQing for certain genres (or for better highs). 

long story short, i think that open high end cans might just be a whim of laziness on the manufacturer's part.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #40 of 85

Quote:

Any links?

Headphile offers replacement open and closed back options for the 580/600/650. 
http://www.headphile.com/page4.html

No idea how it sounds. I've seen others around too - but this was what I could find fast. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #41 of 85
They cost as much as a lower mid-tier headphone. It's a luxury more than anything else, like J$ pads and fischer custom woodies.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #42 of 85

Quote:
Headphile offers replacement open and closed back options for the 580/600/650. 
http://www.headphile.com/page4.html

No idea how it sounds. I've seen others around too - but this was what I could find fast. 

The closed options look like you simply plop them on over the existing backing or somehow replace the existing with the wood and there you have it. Seems simple, but does it actually work, and is this simple solution really 'the' solution to open/closed problems? Seemed to me that you'd need some sort of more complex solution.

also, another solution could be to install high end active noise cancelling stuff into open phones. not sure how it would work, or if it would even work, but its an idea my friend came up with.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #43 of 85
I present it more as a proof of concept - and to spur conversation about the possibilities. Not recommending them. As I said - I have no idea how they actually sound. 

The existing grill is removed, and replaced with the wood back. 

I'm not sure active noise cancellation is the way to go - I have yet to hear an headphone whose sound was not seriously degraded by the implementation of the tech. 

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #44 of 85

Quote:
$30k in a few months?! I need to stop attending college and do whatever the hell he did.

Nah, my majors are psychology and criminology. I need my degree, technical expertise isn't my strong point.

Either way, I want it to happen, and if you get it up and running I'll even test them for you :3.

Now the problem is I have a close deadline for my economics thesis. What's left for me to do is lit review and the writing up. But still... I need to triple what I got in three months. I have already spent well over one year on this, and didn't do much this year. I regret so much that I got into academic research; I would have been working for two years by now, with a stable job, regular income, and not much stress.

I wish I'd choosen engineering as my major. While all that's happening, I also started doing Stanford's free AI class. I'm in so much trouble. LOL. Don't tell my supervisor.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #45 of 85
How old are you? You're talking about amassing funds to start a research team or headphone company; but your writing style and approach to multiple advanced topics is that of a very inexperienced and young person. I'm thoroughly confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back