Shouldn't they combine open and closed designs into one headphone?
Nov 14, 2011 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

kingpage

1000+ Head-Fier
This thread will be continually updated with more information without providing too much details or defining characteristics.

It would be nice to see companies to fine tune the drivers to suit open and closed designs, so that we could use the headphones open or closed as we like it.

Unless there is a physical or fundamental limit that says headphone drivers can't be designed to sound their best that way, which I don't believe exists.

Imagine we have an awesome open-back headphone that allows us to slap some covers onto the cups making it closed, which don't change the sound much except the soundstage or change the sound in a way that's still pleasing to us.

Some ideas:
-Sonically transparent grilles as the default
-Sound signature changes kept to minimal for the first product
-Switchable impedances 32ohm, 250ohm, 600ohm? Variable impedance adpator/built-in?
-Detachable cables and detachable mic

It would be great if anybody can comment a little on the costs that are associated with the whole headphone manufacturing process, such as prototyping, making a small test batch, producing them on a small scale, and so on. Should I have the same manufacturer doing both the drivers and the parts or different ones?

I am currently looking for opportunities to make this happen, before someone steals this idea.

I am also willing to design it myself, in terms of things such as 3D models, drivers, accessoris, etc. The process would be quicker if I had a team to work with. I'm interested in potential partnership opportunities, regardless of whether you represent a company or come forth as an individual; an engineer or an invester.

Contact me if you're interested in this proposition and in partnering with me, and would like to make it come to fruition.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #2 of 85
It is mainly not the drivers that prevent this (in fact, there are often open and closed models of a manufacturer in a particular price range that use the same drivers), but rather that switching between open/closed will inevitably change the frequency response due to changing the acoustics of the ear cups, and so would need different filtering/damping/etc. to sound about the same.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #3 of 85
That can be easily solved by having two pairs of removeable covers for the earcups, one pair is open whereas the other is close.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 85
Heya,

You wouldn't need it if they just spent more time on making a better closed headphone in terms of sound stage and imaging. Isolation, I find, is a huge thing with headphones. I for one don't like hearing house noises or life noises while listening to something. I'm not a studio person. I'm a home enthusiast. I'm not dampening the walls just yet (that's coming though). But you bet your butt, I would love it if Hifiman made a closed back version of the HE-500. It's why I like the D5000 so much, great headphone and closed back. Unfortunately most high ends are open headphones. I would like to have better closed headphones. Then you wouldn't need open anyways. That solves the problem better and easier than trying to make a hybrid headphone housing.

Very best,

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #5 of 85
But that's still not as good as TWO headphones in one package. It's more cost effective and more flexible. They'd make more money, because I can clearly see the demand.

A headphone for home, office, and out and about, I can't think of something better than this.

Seriously, what's the downside? First two people to respond are already not too receptive to this suggestion. They could even make it optional, so people like you can pick ONLY the open version or the closed version. But I can't see people doing that at all, because who doesn't love extra free accessories?

One less (fewer?) thing to worry about for audiophiles. We can focus on more important things when making purchases.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 85
If you put "a lid" on the outside of each cup on the HE-500s, what does it do to the sound?

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 85
I dont think that's possible at all, the resonance of the cover is matched exactly to that of the driver, and even if they came up with something like that it would be ugly (when you raise the covers) and expensive or bad sounding.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #8 of 85

Quote:
If you put "a lid" on the outside of each cup on the HE-500s, what does it do to the sound?

You're assuming they won't redesign the drivers, and put lids on existing headphones.

Quote:
I dont think that's possible at all, the resonance of the cover is matched exactly to that of the driver, and even if they came up with something like that it would be ugly (when you raise the covers) and expensive or bad sounding.

Not necessarily, if you make the open lids and closed lids both removable.

Come on, guys, four people, still no support? People are really afraid of change.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 85

Quote:

On the HE-500's, when covering the grills, the bass and sound stage go away. You're left with a tweeter that spits upper mids & treble at you.

But my Fischer Audio FA-011's, actually don't change much at all when you cover their grills. It's actually quite surprising that they don't change.

Very best,

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #11 of 85
Quote:

You're assuming they won't redesign the drivers, and put lids on existing headphones.

Not really, I actually like the idea a lot. I'm more curious, and already thinking of ways something could be fabricated to make the HE-500 more broadband in usage possibilities...

Quote:
The bass and sound stage go away. You're left with a tweeter that spits upper mids & treble at you.

Well, so much for that then...

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #12 of 85
Here is how i see it.. your idea is to have a headphone that is able to an open and closed headphone with the same housing.. I'd say that would be impossible, open and closed headphones requires different tuning to make it sounds good, not only the driver, but also the different acoustic or resonance chamber, the different damping, etc. It would be really hard to tune a driver to fit both type of housing.

lets take a look at the denon open back mod that someone posted here sometimes ago, it requires a lot of effort to tune the sound to adjust the different housing, And while the finish result is satisfying, it is not reversible (you cant just put a closed cup back to the headphone). Based on that, I'd find it hard to do

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #13 of 85
How about a two-driver system where the drivers are easily detachable like cables are?

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 85
Then why not have two headphones instead of a frame that can hold two different headphones?

The thing is it is pretty impossible to make open headphones sounds the same when closed, vice versa.

Also, have a think on the headphone maker side. If you are making one headphone that is holding two different headphones, wouldn't it be much more profitable to sell them separately?

Nov 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #15 of 85
Much cheaper for consumers and the producers. I study economics. I think the profits will depend on the elasticities of demand and supply. If audiophiles really appreciate this idea, I'll set up a bussiness based on this. Now, all I need is funds, good engineer(s) and good manufacturer(s) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back