Should members that steal money from other members remain members?
May 26, 2012 at 9:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

PiSkyHiFi

100+ Head-Fier
I had a bad experience with my first attempted purchase via Head-fi For Sale/Trade recently.

The seller has decided to return to head-fi and is choosing to ignore me, despite having stolen a large amount of money from me. It was my first purchase and his first sale after having a presence on the site as a contributor for quite some time.

The details of the sale are here.

I feel that if a participant can show evidence that another head-fi member is engaged in criminal activities, maybe moderators can consider the evidence and take action for the sake of the community here - I think banning known offenders maybe a good option. I know that they can easily start up again under a different name, but they would of course lose all their karma, both good and bad.

There is nothing I can do legally with such global transactions that rely on trust - once its out of Paypal's hands, there is no further avenue. My main concern in posting here is that the community here would benefit from being able to banish users that are proven to have stolen from others.

This community has so many great members here, I was amazed that some contacted me directly after this incident and showed very strong support for me and it was a relief to know that others here can feel that maintaining a strong sense of community and openness is a hallmark of head-fiers around the world.

Maybe there is a static trading/buying guide available already here - if so or not, I think it should be almost compulsory reading for any traders to confirm they have understood any possible risks before entering into private agreement.

I made some mistakes that allowed someone to take advantage of my trust and now it has cost me.

I would be happy to start a guide and have it refined if people think this could be viewed by all potential traders here easily.

Any questions and/or thoughts?

May 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 13
I hope you payed by paypal (not the gift option) so you can at least claim back.

May 26, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Provide proof to a mod and see if they can ban them. However think before you do. You may be able to get him to talk or file the ebay claim if you didn't use gift. The moment he's banned...he can still make another account and do damage. Even if Head-Fi blocks by the ip he used, he can easily use a proxy or have his ip changed if he uses a dynamic ip (most do). 

May 26, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 13
Ouch thats a good amount of money too

May 27, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #6 of 13
Hmmm.....strange question. It's like asking should a criminal still be invited to your son's birthday party and flirt with your wife?

IMO, head-fi is a bad place to do business. I was burned before and I would rather to business on ebay even though eBay stinks too. Their is no perfect world. Head-fi certainly does have it's flaws but other places can rob you too in hidden ways.

May 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 13
But in all fairness, Head-fi is a great place to buy and sell. Remember, Head-fi is the wild wild west. You can score big and get great things or you can get robbed and ripped apart like the Single Power amps fiasco.

I don't blame Head-fi. I blame the human race. You can win big or you can lose your shirt.

May 27, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 13
I'm a little suspicious of this.

The proof posted states that it weighed some 525 grams when shipped and received.

The T5p weighs 350 grams according to headroom, or .5 lbs (225 grams) according to Amazon. 350 grams sounds like it includes the pouch, and retail box. While the 225 gram figure sounds like it's the phones alone.

Normal medium corrugated cardboard boxes weigh ~90 grams per square meter.
I have the T1, whose retail packaging is the same as the T5, and I know I could pack it in 1.5 square meters, maybe 2, of normal corrugated cardboard.

350g (T5) + 135-180g (shipping box) = 485-530g. Add a bit for packing peanuts, tape, etc, and we quickly arrive to the 525 gram mark.

Why does an empty cardboard box weigh the same as a packed and sealed T5p?

May 27, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #10 of 13
When I freaked out at the post office, I was trying to work out what to do about this - I knew I needed to get whatever evidence I had and put it all together.

I have kept everything, so I'd be happy to break it down into the components that made up what's in the image.

The main thing your missing is the extension cable and the instruction manual - I don't even know if it was the original T5P cable, but its a hefty 10ft cable that was sent to me.

I received a cardboard box containing the T5P box with the instruction manual and the extension cable wrapped inside - in total, these actually do weigh ~525 grams- when we went through it at the post office we estimated all of these with the phones should weigh around 850 grams together, based on the figures from the Beyerdynamic website.

If you are not sure, I can find the time to place each item separately on scales and show you.

May 27, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 13
One more thing, one can go through the the conversation we had and see how it evolved. I'd be happy to send anyone the head-fi PM transcript via PM.

Request via PM and you shall receive.

May 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:
Here is a listing with the item wholesale that points out that the shipping weight for the retail box is 2 pounds:

http://ace.audiogoshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8355&offer_id=B004C04P46

Right, which is ~907 grams. I didn't know bout the extension cable included.
And it looks like you are right. 350g is just the weight for the phones themselves without cable.
I came to 500-550 grams, which turns out is just all the packaging and shipping materials. Add 350 grams to that and it's now ~900 grams (or 2 lbs).

Amazon puts shipping weight at 2 pounds also. 

I was going on the 350g figure, which is an erroneous base. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back