Should I sell my K702's?
Nov 5, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 19
Had some k701's for over 3 years and always liked them, but they always failed to really impress me. I didn't realize how many weaknesses they had until I compared them to my HD-600 (and DT-990) I got later on. My DT-990 lost out to the k701, but  my k701 lost to the HD-600 due to how much more natural some instruments sounded. Comparing the k701 to the HD-600 is just kind of stupid and I wish I didn't sell my k701 since they're so stupid expensive now. I would never ever pay $399 for them now! $250 MAX!

Sometimes I like a headphone like the k701 over the HD-600. HD-600 can be a bit too laid back for me and that's why I sometimes prefer my new k601 and my k240.

What sound signature do you like? I like fairly neutral headphones, but one that is still fun, but with a decent amount of bass. I guess I prefer slightly forward mids. Good mids/vocals are my #1 priority. In the past I didn't mind rolled off highs, but now I don't like that as much. I still can't get into most Grado and Beyer headphones though. The treble on the DT-880 600 was not something I could like. Right now my k601 and k240 have my preferred sound signature. SRH-840 is pretty close too.

So yeah, not everyone will like the k701. I never found mine bright at all, but I had the old 701 and it seemed different then my 702 for some reason! The sound of my k701 was never really that engaging, but at times I liked that.

The only things I don't like about the k701 is the excessively large soundstage and how some instruments sounded a bit thin and un-natural. Any type of stringed intrument was just so much better on my HD-600.

My k601 seems to fix everything I don't like about the k701. I think a lot of people who disliked the k701 might like the k601. Vocals are definitely better to my ears on the k601. The mids are a  bit more forward, but this of course means the k601 is less neutral then the k701, which is OK with me.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #17 of 19
I haven't really had a chance to audition many headphones, so I really can't make any comparisons from experience. That being said, I don't think I can describe what kind of sound signature I like to an accurate extent. If I had to make my best guess: moderate bass (slightly more than the K702s), midrange of the K702s are about right for me (though some vocals seem bit recessed on some tracks), and highs can be a little less sharp. I agree with you that the excessive sound stage can be a bit much at times. It's welcome on some tracks, but depending on the mastering, I sometimes get annoyed that one instrument seems to be completely removed from the music or a large channel imbalance seems to be present. After owning the K702s and the Grados/Alessandro's, I think I prefer a more fun/energetic sound compared to analytic.
Quote:
Had some k701's for over 3 years and always liked them, but they always failed to really impress me. I didn't realize how many weaknesses they had until I compared them to my HD-600 (and DT-990) I got later on. My DT-990 lost out to the k701, but  my k701 lost to the HD-600 due to how much more natural some instruments sounded. Comparing the k701 to the HD-600 is just kind of stupid and I wish I didn't sell my k701 since they're so stupid expensive now. I would never ever pay $399 for them now! $250 MAX!

Sometimes I like a headphone like the k701 over the HD-600. HD-600 can be a bit too laid back for me and that's why I sometimes prefer my new k601 and my k240.

What sound signature do you like? I like fairly neutral headphones, but one that is still fun, but with a decent amount of bass. I guess I prefer slightly forward mids. Good mids/vocals are my #1 priority. In the past I didn't mind rolled off highs, but now I don't like that as much. I still can't get into most Grado and Beyer headphones though. The treble on the DT-880 600 was not something I could like. Right now my k601 and k240 have my preferred sound signature. SRH-840 is pretty close too.

So yeah, not everyone will like the k701. I never found mine bright at all, but I had the old 701 and it seemed different then my 702 for some reason! The sound of my k701 was never really that engaging, but at times I liked that.

The only things I don't like about the k701 is the excessively large soundstage and how some instruments sounded a bit thin and un-natural. Any type of stringed intrument was just so much better on my HD-600.

My k601 seems to fix everything I don't like about the k701. I think a lot of people who disliked the k701 might like the k601. Vocals are definitely better to my ears on the k601. The mids are a  bit more forward, but this of course means the k601 is less neutral then the k701, which is OK with me.

Nov 6, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #18 of 19
Also, as much as I love open headphones, I'm could also be looking into getting a pair of closed headphones (so I don't bother my roommate too much). If I do go with closed though, I'd probably keep the K702s and just have another pair lying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back