Should I sell my K702's?
Nov 5, 2010 at 4:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

XTTX

Head-Fier
So here's my setup:

Azalia HDA -> Valab NOS DAC (via TOSLINK) -> Matrix M-stage -> K702

I got all this stuff pretty recently (within the last month). Everything was new aside from the DAC which I bought off a member here. I've given the K702's about 145 hours of playback. The flaws that I saw in it originally (lack of bass, and piercing treble) have appeared to even out sufficiently. I just don't see myself liking the sound signature of it; rather, I don't find it worth the cost. My other set of cans is the Alessandro MS1, which I had loved for years. I just don't seem to have the same appreciation for the K702's. Some things to note: I hear with much better clarity using the K702's than the MS1's, and there is a more expansive sound stage with the AKG's. They're just hard to fully appreciate.

Should I give these a couple hundred more hours to burn in? Is something else in my setup holding these back? I really would love to love these headphones, but I just can't at this point.

Edit: If I do sell these, I would probably try out the DT880's or the HD650 next.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 19
IMO you're not going to like them better. You're probably looking for something more similar to the Grados, and not as bright. I'd suggest the hd650 next!

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #4 of 19
Personally I noticed very noticeable improvements with my k702s 3 times: 100, 250, and 350 hours. Also, the M-Stage with the browndog/opa627  made it a heck of a lot better as well. I'd suggest to keep burning them in for another week, and see what you think. Is your M-Stage stock, or what?

-Daniel

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
Personally I noticed very noticeable improvements with my k702s 3 times: 100, 250, and 350 hours. Also, the M-Stage with the browndog/opa627  made it a heck of a lot better as well. I'd suggest to keep burning them in for another week, and see what you think. Is your M-Stage stock, or what?

-Daniel

It's got a Class-A Biasing mod, but other than that it's stock (stock opamp).

Edit: Yeah, I was going to give these a week or two before making any decisions. Perhaps I'll even do some opamp rolling between now and then. With regard to the HD650's is there a noticeable difference between the current run and older versions? I know there was some discrepancy between them.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 19
If you're considering the DT 880s, which impedance will you be getting? I bought my gf a DT880/32, and I was astonished to find that it sounded VERY similar to my AKGs, when fed from my uDac-->M-Stage! Seriously, like 90% the same! Very smooth, forward mids, great bass. The Beyers were a tiny bit smoother, I think cause they had more bass presence (barely), even though I preferred the bass in the AKGs. The Beyers were noticeably better with electronic rock (think The Killers), but not by much. I was actually dissappointed by all of this, because I was looking to buy some Beyers (albeit the 600 ohms) as a second set of cans, but they didn't differentiate themselves enough from my AKGs in this setup to justify it!

-Daniel

edit: You should definitely buy the OP627 it helped a LOT to improve the soundstage, calm the treble, and improve the bass I                  thought. Coolfungadget sells it for $15 after shipping, and mine arrived in about 6 days.

Nov 5, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 19
I was considering the 600 Ohm impedance for the more balanced (or so I hear) sound; however, my one concern would be if the M-stage is enough to drive it (or rather, a good pairing). FWIR, tube amps fit the high impedance of the DT880-600 Ohm better. Oh, and did you do the soldering of the OPA627 on the Browndog adapter yourself?

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 19
Nope. I bought the combo unit ($20) shipped that was pre-soldered! There are some people on here using the M-Stage to drive their T1s, DT880/990s all at 600 ohms without a problem at higher gains, either +18 or +20 dB. Not necessarily a synergistic match, but more than ample power. Hope that helps.

-Daniel

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 19
I listened to the K701 and 325i side by side back when and chose the Grado. They were simply more fun. After messing with pads a bit (HD 414's were brought out) they also became comfortable too! I had a similar impression to you, that the AKG was the "better" phone, just a little too matter of fact. These days I'm sorta looking to see what might sound like a Grado but also have a wider sound stage and more comfort. I've taken to EQing my music anyway, so I wanna give the K701/2 another try sometime.

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #10 of 19
A headphone HaiKu:

Should you get new phones
Your wallet runs and cowers
I can hear it all

Seriously:
Do you like the K701? 
If so, buy something else just to try it. This is the head-fi way.
If not, sell them and then buy something else. 
In either case, give the new headphones a few weeks of dedicated listening time (dont listen to anything else) before you pass final judgement on them. Some headphones take a little time to grow on you.

Nov 5, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 19
I believe your problem is the amp lacking power to drive them correctly, the AKG are very revealing to the gear/recording, or simply it is not your cup of tea in this case the HD650 should be a good contender.

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I believe your problem is the amp lacking power to drive them correctly, the AKG are very revealing to the gear/recording, or simply it is not your cup of tea in this case the HD650 should be a good contender.

The M-Stage is known as simply one of THE best amps to drive the AKGs, and has NUMEROUS testimonials throughout this board that claim that. Please get your facts straight.

-Daniel

Nov 5, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
The M-Stage is known as simply one of THE best amps to drive the AKGs

really... I haven't heard the M-Stage myself but that is an extremely bold claim. You're basing this on your own comparisons with a good number of high end and respected amps obviously, right?
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back