Should I refund a buyer?
Nov 29, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #121 of 143
Yes, keep up posted on what's going on. If this guy does end up scamming you (because IMO this what this is - when you want something for nothing it's a scam) - the very least you will get is the satifaction of knowing this guy's credibility is permanently screwed here.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:58 AM Post #122 of 143
i consider this finished, i left him the negative feedback.

he file a complaint with paypal, then had amex do a chargeback, so now i'm out $10 from paypal because they charge you $10 for chargebacks, and i am now out the money for shipping to him, as well as depreciation from him using it, as well as the time and effort he has caused me to waste.

Please do not deal with a Steve Beyer from Mesa, AZ or somewhere in the west coast.
beyerphoto.com is his domain as well.

Dec 8, 2004 at 1:08 AM Post #123 of 143
That really sucks.

Edit: Guilty as charged.
I once again did not read your entire post.
tongue.gif

Dec 8, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #124 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by ufokillerz
i consider this finished, i left him the negative feedback.

he file a complaint with paypal, then had amex do a chargeback, so now i'm out $10 from paypal because they charge you $10 for chargebacks, and i am now out the money for shipping to him, as well as depreciation from him using it, as well as the time and effort he has caused me to waste.

Please do not deal with a Steve Beyer from Mesa, AZ or somewhere in the west coast.
beyerphoto.com is his domain as well.

So Stever Beyer gets the last laugh, because he got a full refund and bilked you out of $10 plus shipping plus greasy hands-on-amp usage? That's entirely wrong. At least you have the amp back, instead of him keeping the amp then him getting amex to refund. Can you imagine if he did that? Then you'd have to try to fight amex, and that would have taken forever to show you were in the right, etc etc - man what a hassle, i guess it could have been worse. Still, big pain incurred I'm glad it's over for you.

Dec 8, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #125 of 143
Registrant:
Decisive Web (Domain for Sale)

P.O. Box 183
Saline, Michigan 48176-0186
United States

Registered through: Decisive Web
Domain Name: BEYERPHOTO.COM
Created on: 21-Apr-99
Expires on: 21-Apr-05
Last Updated on: 09-Jul-03

Administrative Contact:
Beyer, Steve domains@decisiveweb.com
P.O. Box 183
United States
Technical Contact:
Beyer, Steve domains@decisiveweb.com
P.O. Box 183
United States

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.DECISIVEWEB.COM
NS2.DECISIVEWEB.COM

Dec 8, 2004 at 9:58 AM Post #127 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
Steve must be thick. There is no trial period when buying off an auction site or an online forum! Anyone above the age of 7 knows that. If it was broken, that would be one thing, but it clearly wasn't. If you want to buy something with Best Buy's policies, buy from Best Buy. He's clearly just trying to take advantage, especially with the veiled niceness in that email threat. This guy is clearly a scammer.

Some small companies at eBay sell with "good" policies regarding about being able to return the product for whatever reason. Some others only allow if the product is broken, ect. It varies.

Dec 8, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #128 of 143
Raymond
if i was in your situation , I would have very likely took the amp back after exchanging 2 or 3 mails with the buyer and after understanding the context, this would have avoided further compliances in general and also for me..
i would have resold the amp on the forum without so many hassles for loosing some money on shipping, the PPA it's not so difficult as a sale on the forum
..this is just to let you know what i would have done

anyway as everyone stated here you had no obligation to do that, so there's no concrete fault from your part -this counting in also you took the amp back for testing and the test said that the amp was ok- and from the stricty legal side of the things the faulty part here is the buyer, who wants refund and use amex to be refunded , when he can't claim any kind of refund becuase private sales here have not any kind of return policy , standing the item sold is in listed condition.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:38 PM Post #129 of 143
I've found it seldom pays to be a stickler in an exchange, especially when dissatisfaction surfaces during the deal or soon after a deal is done. After a few days have passed, it is a different matter--a person should not be required to hold onto funds pending a possible refund for a long period.

But in general, it is almost always better for the buyer to be happy, even if the buyer is stupid, misinformed, hesitant, flaky, or otherwise incompetent (as was the case with the buyer in this situation). It's just not worth it to stress, risk your reputation/feedback, or have to deal with heated exchanges. IOW, mercy is often better than justice--it's just less stressful and spreads good vibes wherever you go.

-coma

Dec 8, 2004 at 4:48 PM Post #131 of 143
i would have given him a refund if he had a legitimate gripe against me, but for returning it for bs reasons as auditioning it and prefering a sr-71 over it isn't one of them, especially when he lies about it. he has had the link to this thread for a while now, but has never posted once here. guess why?

Dec 8, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #133 of 143
i lsot the money i spent to ship it to him, as well as paypal charging me $10 on top of the chargeback.
also i lost in the time and effort i had to spend to deal with him.

Dec 8, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #134 of 143
This situation also confirms what we already knew; that paypal is a bad (dare i say evil) company with poor business policies. It's business strategy seems to be based on siding with those who abuse the system and take advantage of legitimate sellers/buyers. Unfortunately it has the market share to make it hard to do online business on a small scale without them.

Dec 9, 2004 at 1:15 AM Post #135 of 143
You may also be entitled to reimbursement from Paypal from the chargeback, if you conformed to their policies (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/websc...ctions-outside). It really depends on whether or not the amount is worth the effort to fight for it.

You may have other recourse as well. Amex did a chargeback, which is only legal under certain circumstances. As described, the buyer committed fraud. But it's no longer you vs. the buyer. If the circumstances are as claimed, you now have grounds against Amex. If you're sure of your ground, small claims court is usually less than $20 to file. You'll have to find out the local agent for Amex in your state. They'll have one, as a national company, usually an attorney's office. Be sure of your facts, and then file. It's going to cost Amex more to send an attorney to small claims court than to settle with you. Your odds are actually pretty good that you'll never get as far as court.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back