Should I refund a buyer?
Nov 23, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #106 of 143
Jesus H just refund the guy (minus shipping if that floats your boat) you've really got nothing to lose....... re-sell the amp....... do you ship to the UK? (I'm being serious) I'm an interested buyer.

All the best.

Mike.

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #107 of 143
Another thought re PayPal. I don't know if they've changed their practices, but I would caution you to be careful with them. If you have any money on deposit, or if your bank account or credit card is linked to your PayPal account I would closely monitor those accounts. PayPal has been known to freeze accounts and to initiate debits to your linked checking account or charges to your linked credit card to settle disputed transactions.

Nov 23, 2004 at 11:37 PM Post #108 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by skr
Another thought re PayPal. I don't know if they've changed their practices, but I would caution you to be careful with them. If you have any money on deposit, or if your bank account or credit card is linked to your PayPal account I would closely monitor those accounts. PayPal has been known to freeze accounts and to initiate debits to your linked checking account or charges to your linked credit card to settle disputed transactions.

yes i know how they work, i've been with paypal for 4.5yrs, have 675 transactions in these years. i know how paypal is. heck they called me when i sent off a $2000, followed by a $900 to japan on the same day.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:30 AM Post #109 of 143
ufo you may consider contacting PayPal & Amex so they understand the situation.

Steve-
If you expected a trial period or a return policy you should have clearly stated that before you made the deal. There is no implied return policy on any FS/FT forum online or on eBay (I'm a registered user of about 30 forums around the Internet so I only speak of those, but they're all the same). You should contact Amex & Paypal and cancel your complaint, send UFO money for return shipping and re-list the amp for sale. You may also ask him (very nicely) if he would consider shipping it to Pinky. I don't think any of us think you're a bad guy and this incident certainly shouldn't make you feel unwelcome here at Head-Fi. It should just show you how important good communication about your expectations is prior to a transaction (any transaction).

It wasn't UFO's job to educate you before you made the purchase so you can't hold him accountable for your misinformed decision. It is certainly nice to see that your correspondence hasn't come to cursing & all that sort of ugliness.

Good luck to both of you.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:37 AM Post #110 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Jesus H just refund the guy (minus shipping if that floats your boat) you've really got nothing to lose....... re-sell the amp....... do you ship to the UK? (I'm being serious) I'm an interested buyer.

All the best.

Mike.

well ufokillerz shouldn't be busting his A** after probably explaining to steve about the amp and everything. it was a sale and its steve's amp now. if anything steve should resell it, not ufokillerz, becasue it was out of his hands, but ufokillerz was being too nice to find the problem and fix it. guess people take advantage of one another too much.

Nov 24, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #111 of 143
Quote:

All the best.

Mike.

That sounds like a nice resolution to this whole matter.
And a classy gesture.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #112 of 143
Here is the solution :-

* UFO has the amp
* PF wants the amp
* UFO ships to PF
* PF pays UFO - The Full Sale Price + Shipping
* UFO sends Steve - Full Sale Price - $25.00
* UFO leaves Feedback for Steve
* Steve may leave feedback but if he complains then the "admins/mods" act appropriately

Sounds good?

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #113 of 143
Steve must be thick. There is no trial period when buying off an auction site or an online forum! Anyone above the age of 7 knows that. If it was broken, that would be one thing, but it clearly wasn't. If you want to buy something with Best Buy's policies, buy from Best Buy. He's clearly just trying to take advantage, especially with the veiled niceness in that email threat. This guy is clearly a scammer.

He probably won't tell Paypal the entire story either, how the amp works, but he doesn't like how it makes his headphones sound, that the seller took it back to make sure it was in working order, and that it was. No, I'm sure he'll leave all that out.
rolleyes.gif

Because otherwise it would sound like this:

I bought this product from someone, and it works, but I don't like it. I sent it back to the seller, who made sure everything was in working order and it was, so he sent it back. I demanded a refund, on the grounds that I didn't like the product and changed my mind, but he actually refused! The product works, but I demand my money back!

Riiiiiiiight. In what fantasy world?

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:53 PM Post #114 of 143
Quote:

All the best.

Mike.

Pinky, that is what I call a stylish answer to the problem.

Nov 26, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #115 of 143
Quote:

I always offer a full refund to anybody who is not 100% satisfied with anything I sell on the for sale forum

..... if the situation were reversed and you weren't happy with a piece of equipment you'd bought wouldn't it make you feel good if you got your money back?

Did you ask the guy what source he would be using before you sold the amp to him? ipod and PPA seem a pretty weird combo to me
eek.gif

I confirm this is what Mike ( PinkFloyd ) did with me with a product he packed and sold to me. He asked about when i noticed the item wasn't "right" on my ears on arrival ,we had a quite easy conversation and Mike offered himself to take it back and refund me.

Nov 29, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #119 of 143
Thanks for the update!

Well, if you don't mind, definitely keep us further updated. Obviously it's none of our business, but it is an interesting story. I think it also provides some good insight into how to properly conduct an online person-to-person sale, and what contingencies to anticipate.

Additionally, it's also valuable to see how Paypal and Amex work in these sort of situations, both from a buyer and seller standpoint.

Nov 29, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #120 of 143
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
Thanks for the update!

Well, if you don't mind, definitely keep us further updated. Obviously it's none of our business, but it is an interesting story. I think it also provides some good insight into how to properly conduct an online person-to-person sale, and what contingencies to anticipate.

biggrin.gif
It's kind of our business now, isn't it? I mean we posted over 100 messages on the subject. And it may affect our expectations when buying or selling on the forum. Personally, I've done business with Ufokillerz on a couple of occasion and he's always been a pleasure to deal with -- he shipped things quickly and they were exceptionally well packed and arrived as described. I don't like see people that I've had good transactions with have troublesome transactions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back