should i get the Grado sr60s or fiio e7?
Jun 8, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #46 of 92

Quote:
so the results are 50/50. now i need to do some thinking. i know grados are fast for rock but are they revealing? also from what people are saying here the fiio e7 doesn't do anything but get rid of static and amplify the source. which one would be most wise to get. i have heard my shure srh840 is slow for rock. i assume the fiio e7 won't make it faster. personally i just really want to try grado for once as they are so hyped up and highly rated for rock music. how is the build quality/ durability of grado. also i will be using them at home so that should have no issues. how long is the cord? how heavy duty is the cord? and about the piercing highs. i don't notice any piercing highs or sibilance on the shure srh840 anymore. those were caused by bad recordings. i also love emphasized treble so i think these would be worth it. is the grado really that harsh? if it is would the harshness go away after modding?

lol the grado headphones' designs are so simple that there's hardly any way to break them, other than the driver itself. cord is about 10-12 ft I'm guessing. Cord isn't flimsy at all in my opinion.

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #48 of 92

Quote:
so the results are 50/50. now i need to do some thinking. i know grados are fast for rock but are they revealing? also from what people are saying here the fiio e7 doesn't do anything but get rid of static and amplify the source. which one would be most wise to get. i have heard my shure srh840 is slow for rock. i assume the fiio e7 won't make it faster. personally i just really want to try grado for once as they are so hyped up and highly rated for rock music. how is the build quality/ durability of grado. also i will be using them at home so that should have no issues. how long is the cord? how heavy duty is the cord? and about the piercing highs. i don't notice any piercing highs or sibilance on the shure srh840 anymore. those were caused by bad recordings. i also love emphasized treble so i think these would be worth it. is the grado really that harsh? if it is would the harshness go away after modding?

I voted for Grado because it provides more of a learning experience. I don't think you've ever owned an open headphone and it would be good to know how the Grado sound is like. Everyone on Head-fi knows how they sound like. However, they have many negatives about them, but there is a very good reason why many people like them. If I had to recommend a Grado, it would be either the SR60 or SR80 with flats. The treble is not as strong as the Grados with bowls but just as energetic and aggressive sounding.

Not noticing piercing highs on the Shures probably doesn't mean much since Grados have more treble and upper mids. Oddly enough though, I would expect the Shures to have piercing highs too from the looks of FR graphs.

My SR125i's cords broke three times even with me babying them. The build quality and durability of Grado headphones are questionable, at least to me.

I rarely have anything good to say about Grado. =P  If you ask a certain aspect, I may give my opinion though.

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #49 of 92
i just got word guarenteeing 100$ so is there any other headphones that are options in this price range for rock music. i can guarantee up to $150 will be spendable after i get my pay check. i still have my eye on the grado sr60i.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #50 of 92
If you can go up a bit, the SR80i might be a good choice instead of the SR60i.  You might check out the Ultrasone HFI-780 if you like pronounced highs and a set of headphones that do well with rock and metal.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #51 of 92

Quote:
If you can go up a bit, the SR80i might be a good choice instead of the SR60i.  You might check out the Ultrasone HFI-780 if you like pronounced highs and a set of headphones that do well with rock and metal.

whats the difference between the sr60s and sr80s?

can you explain this graph?

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #52 of 92
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Alessandro MS-1?

Not that I have hands on experience, but it's been described all too often as " the Grado without (as much) sibilance" .

If that's true, it might be a good idea to check out. It's in the SR80 price range and they ship directly to Canada for $15.

Otherwise, I personally like my AKG K240's for rock/metal. The only problem is that they're extremely overpriced in Canada, so you'll have to buy online from Amazon.

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #53 of 92

Quote:

Not that I have hands on experience, but it's been described all too often as " the Grado without (as much) sibilance" .

If that's true, it might be a good idea to check out. It's in the SR80 price range and they ship directly to Canada for $15.

Otherwise, I personally like my AKG K240's for rock/metal. The only problem is that they're extremely overpriced in Canada, so you'll have to buy online from Amazon.

i already have a place i can order grado so i will stick with that.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #54 of 92
I thought the MS-1 was just the "international" version of the SR60i/SR80i, since Grado has some sort of unrequited fear of selling their normal headphones overseas for reasonable prices?

Quote:

I honestly couldn't tell you what the difference is; the SR80i is supposed to be slightly better.  Grado's website claims the 80 uses a four-conductor cable and a special "de-stressing process" for the drivers, to increase performance over the 60.
Quote:
whats the difference between the sr60s and sr80s?

can you explain this graph?

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #55 of 92

Quote:
I thought the MS-1 was just the "international" version of the SR60i/SR80i, since Grado has some sort of unrequited fear of selling their normal headphones overseas for reasonable prices?

I honestly couldn't tell you what the difference is; the SR80i is supposed to be slightly better.  Grado's website claims the 80 uses a four-conductor cable and a special "de-stressing process" for the drivers, to increase performance over the 60.

well according to the website i will be ordering from they will cost me $150 so i think i will stick with the sr60s. keep in mind i am getting grado because i am a metal head and grado is highly rated amongst metalheads.

edit: the grado sr60s cost the same as the ms-1 but the grados will come in 2-3 days vs a few weeks. luckily headphonebar is in vancouver which is only a 5 hour drive away.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #56 of 92
Ouch!  The SR80i here in the US is something like $85 on Amazon.

I'm a headbanger myself, but I could never really get into Grado - they were just a little too "right there" for me.  Great if you're listening to a live album and want to imagine yourself 10' from the stage, but they're a little too strident for long-term listening.  But, Grado headphones are one of those things that everyone should try at least once.

Quote:
well according to the website i will be ordering from they will cost me $150 so i think i will stick with the sr60s. keep in mind i am getting grado because i am a metal head and grado is highly rated amongst metalheads.

edit: the grado sr60s cost the same as the ms-1 but the grados will come in 2-3 days vs a few weeks. luckily headphonebar is in vancouver which is only a 5 hour drive away.

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #57 of 92
Get the Grados imo, it will be a totally different musical experience with you for those. As for the amp, there will be lots of other options in the future :)

Out of the entry level grados I would prefer the MS1i as it works for most music and is less fatuiging than the SR60 and SR80. I heard that they were based off the SR125 drivers as well

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #58 of 92
i'm getting them from here.

seriously guys. after watching and reading reviews i am certain i will love the grado's. they also look incredibly good imo. to bad they make bad portables. probably won't stop me.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #59 of 92
how good do electric guitars sound on grado's and how about distorted guitars.

Jun 11, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #60 of 92
why do all headphones seem to have a spike in the 9khz region. i find it irritating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back