should i get the Grado sr60s or fiio e7?
Jun 18, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #76 of 92
Ah, you did sort of go for both.
Enjoy 'em.  
tongue.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #78 of 92

Quote:
Good luck! I hope one of those would be to your liking.

correct me if i am wrong but isn't the alessandro ms1 just the grado sr80s without the harshness? thats the impression i am getting.

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #79 of 92
That would make them a completely different headphone then. :confused_face_2:

I was tempted one one of these a while back but then decided to skip the entry level stuff. I'm still waiting on the day to finally hear what Grados are all about.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #80 of 92

Quote:
That would make them a completely different headphone then.
confused_face_2.gif

I was tempted one one of these a while back but then decided to skip the entry level stuff. I'm still waiting on the day to finally hear what Grados are all about.

well apparently the ms1 is just a modded grado.

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:18 AM Post #81 of 92
Hi bcasey25raptor long time no see you seem to be all over the threads on head fi just like me.
rolleyes.gif

If you don't  mind me interjecting I've been quietly lurking in the background on this thread and I never bothered commenting because you seemed to be in good hands. If you don't mind I'm going to give you a little more information that probably will put your mind at ease.

First of all I've been rocking out to a pair of Grado SR60i's for almost two years now. The Sr60i is a neutral sounding headphone which is known as having a slightly hot treble and very forward sounding mids. The can overall has very good detail and with good source recordings they will shine. The sound stage on the these cans is very small and when playing music you'll notice a coming from inside your head feeling. They're also a very aggressive sounding headphone and as you put it in another thread are very fast for rock. Because of their sound signature they will make guitars especially distorted guitars sound very good. You will also notice that the drumming especially the type of blast beat drumming used in metalcore and progressive death metal sound great. One warning I have to give you is because the sound stage is so small some getting used to will be required on your part. For example when you try em out for the first time those great sounding drums I mentioned on some rock songs the drums will sound like the drummers banging his sticks on your forehead. If you really want to see what a Grado can do try throwing in Opeth's Orchid album or the Kataklysm Prevail album. As headphones go there's by far better out there of coarse but for the price the entry level SR 60i's bring a lot to the table. The only bad thing I have to say about the sound signature is sometimes if the music is on the busy side because of the small sound stage the sound can become a little muddled up. The best way I can describe it is on really busy pieces of music it sounds like the band is standing shoulder to shoulder on a small stage. It becomes a little harder to pick out the exact positioning of say the bass guitarist because it sounds like he's standing shoulder to shoulder with the guitarist.

Now I've never owned the MS1 but I have heard it and I've read up enough about them. Basically you're right in your statement that the Grado MS1 is just a modded Grado. One of the mods involved is the driver's are vented which means you'll have more bass and your music wont be as bright sounding as a straight up Sr60i or 80i. Don't worry though you won't be sacrificing any treble detail (at least I didn't notice any) and because of the driver venting you will get slightly better bass and a very slightly more tamed treble. I really suggest you check with other users on here who have MS1's if you want more specific information on the MS1 sound signature.  One thing I like to always point out when discussing Grado's especially the SR 60i's is they are great rocker headphones and very good headphones for other genre's like jazz but they are not good headphones for the electronica genres. Grado's are not bass head headphones and the bass slam bass heads crave is not present in the Grado's I've heard. If you're a bass head you'll find Grado's to be bass shy.

I hope my two cents helps put your mind at ease. I hope you really like your MS1's. Feel free to message me if you would like to know anything and keep us updated if you like them or not.

P.S.

Welcome to Team Grado. You'll find our little group to be comprised of screwball's which in my opinion is a good thing 
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #82 of 92

Quote:
Hi bcasey25raptor long time no see you seem to be all over the threads on head fi just like me.
rolleyes.gif

If you don't  mind me interjecting I've been quietly lurking in the background on this thread and I never bothered commenting because you seemed to be in good hands. If you don't mind I'm going to give you a little more information that probably will put your mind at ease.

First of all I've been rocking out to a pair of Grado SR60i's for almost two years now. The Sr60i is a neutral sounding headphone which is known as having a slightly hot treble and very forward sounding mids. The can overall has very good detail and with good source recordings they will shine. The sound stage on the these cans is very small and when playing music you'll notice a coming from inside your head feeling. They're also a very aggressive sounding headphone and as you put it in another thread are very fast for rock. Because of their sound signature they will make guitars especially distorted guitars sound very good. You will also notice that the drumming especially the type of blast beat drumming used in metalcore and progressive death metal sound great. One warning I have to give you is because the sound stage is so small some getting used to will be required on your part. For example when you try em out for the first time those great sounding drums I mentioned on some rock songs the drums will sound like the drummers banging his sticks on your forehead. If you really want to see what a Grado can do try throwing in Opeth's Orchid album or the Kataklysm Prevail album. As headphones go there's by far better out there of coarse but for the price the entry level SR 60i's bring a lot to the table. The only bad thing I have to say about the sound signature is sometimes if the music is on the busy side because of the small sound stage the sound can become a little muddled up. The best way I can describe it is on really busy pieces of music it sounds like the band is standing shoulder to shoulder on a small stage. It becomes a little harder to pick out the exact positioning of say he bass guitarist because it sounds like he's standing shoulder to shoulder with the guitarists.

Now I've never owned the MS1 but I have heard it and I've read up enough about them. Basically you're right in your statement that the Grado MS1 is just a modded Grado. One of the mods involved is the driver's are vented which means you'll have more bass and your music wont be as bright sounding as a straight up Sr60i or 80i. Don't worry though you won't be sacrificing any treble detail (at least I didn't notice any) and because of the driver venting you will get slightly better bass and a very slightly more tamed treble. I really suggest you check with other users on here who have MS1's if you want more specific information on the MS1 sound signature.  One thing I like to always point out when discussing Grado's especially the SR 60i's is they are great rocker headphones and very good headphones for other genre's like jazz but they are not good headphones for the electronica genres. Grado's are not bass head headphones and the bass slam bass heads crave is not present in the Grado's I've heard. If you're a bass head you'll find Grado's to be bass shy.

I hope my two cents helps put your mind at ease. I hope you really like your MS1's. Feel free to message me if you would like to know anything and keep us updated if you like them or not.

P.S.

Welcome to the Team Grado. You'll find our little group to be comprised of screwball's which in my opinion is a good thing 
biggrin.gif

yes i will pm you now. thanks for that.

Jun 23, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #83 of 92
my fiio e7 should arrive tomorrow. im so excites and i will tell you all how much (if any at all) it changes the sound on my computer.

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #84 of 92
Grado make the Alessandro series to Alessandro's requirements. That might sound obvious, but the MS1 is a markedly better headphone than either the 60i or the 80i, and I've owned all 3. Its not chalk-and-cheese, but they offer great VFM at that end of the headphone spectrum. All of it became a little moot when I started opening up my Grados and realised just how much of that brilliant driver is being 'hidden away' with the stock entry-level Grados. '

Its interesting that the guy who created the first 'MS1000' claims that he cant achieve the same sound with the base model Grados - I'll leave that one to the experts to discuss.

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #85 of 92

Quote:
my fiio e7 should arrive tomorrow. im so excites and i will tell you all how much (if any at all) it changes the sound on my computer.

Hope they're everything you're hoping for. By the way nice Wintersun avatar, you ever heard of the bands  Mygrain, Nightrage, Before the Dawn, The Absence, Dismoria Mundi, or Callenish Circle? Big melodic death metal fan on this end.

Jun 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #86 of 92

Quote:
Hope they're everything you're hoping for. By the way nice Wintersun avatar, you ever heard of the bands  Mygrain, Nightrage, Before the Dawn, The Absence, Dismoria Mundi, or Callenish Circle? Big melodic death metal fan on this end.

ok to begin in red. they were not what i was hoping for. i hear no improvement with the fiio e7 over my onboard audio. i am extremely disatisfied with my purchase. but on the bright side at least i am getting some alessandro ms1's. those will definitely be worth the money HOPEFULLY.

second in blue i haven't heard of those bands but i will find some time to check them out. i am also a huge melodic death fan but i listen to every genre of metal from folk metal to death metal to black metal.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #87 of 92

Quote:
ok to begin in red. they were not what i was hoping for. i hear no improvement with the fiio e7 over my onboard audio. i am extremely disatisfied with my purchase. but on the bright side at least i am getting some alessandro ms1's. those will definitely be worth the money HOPEFULLY.

second in blue i haven't heard of those bands but i will find some time to check them out. i am also a huge melodic death fan but i listen to every genre of metal from folk metal to death metal to black metal.

Sorry to hear it. Have you tried to see if there's a difference with just your iPod?
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #88 of 92
There shouldn't be much of a difference just out of his ipod (unless enabling the bass boost on the E7) as it still employs the ipod's dac when using an lod cable. It should be an improvement but it'll be subtle. The increase in sound quality from onboard to the E7's dac should be more apparent though. I hope he's using usb to the E7 and doesn't have any processing through software (eq or otherwise) affecting the sound.

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #89 of 92

Quote:
There shouldn't be much of a difference just out of his ipod (unless enabling the bass boost on the E7) as it still employs the ipod's dac when using an lod cable. It should be an improvement but it'll be subtle. The increase in sound quality from onboard to the E7's dac should be more apparent though. I hope he's using usb to the E7 and doesn't have any processing through software (eq or otherwise) affecting the sound.

i was using the usb cord that came with it. i will keep it for a few weeks and see if my opinion changes. i really think my conexant hd onboard might actually be pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back