Should I get bowl pads (L-Cush's) for my Grado SR60i?
May 26, 2011 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

soaringcheetah

New Head-Fier
The main reason I'm looking at the bowl pads is because I wear glasses and the flat pads that came with my Grado SR60i's can become really painful after a short time. I also heard that bowl pads give the bass a little more punch. The main reason that I'm holding back is that some Amazon reviews say that the foam starts crumbling in a short time period. Does anyone have information on this?

May 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2 of 12
will those pads fit on a Grado SR80 (not SR80i)?

[edit]
actually, it seems like these might be the ones my Grado SR-80s came with. i think i'm going to go with the replacement cushions for the Sennheiser HD414. They look more comfy, even if i'm not crazy about the yellow color.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD414-headphones/dp/B002B4OEZ0/ref=pd_cp_e_1

May 26, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 12
Do you have flat pads or comfy pads?  The stock pads on the sr60 are comfies, not flats. I'm not really sure about going from comfies to bowls, but the bowls decrease bass if anything.  It might sound more punchy because it has less lower bass, so it sounds more tuneful.  But it doesn't give them more bass volume.

May 26, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #4 of 12
I've got a pair of the SR60is with both the stock pads and the bowl pads.  IMO, the bowl pads don't do good things to the sound.  I'd say the bass doesn't change all that much, but switching to bowl pads seems to make the SR60i even brighter and more fatiguing.

Moreover, I have to say that I find the stock pads more comfortable than the bowl pads.  When I would try to wear a Grado headphone with bowl pads, I would constantly readjust them, trying to figure out what the "right" way to wear them was.  I don't think the bowl pads were designed for a human being.

May 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 12

[size=medium]

[/size]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Do you have flat pads or comfy pads?  The stock pads on the sr60 are comfies, not flats. I'm not really sure about going from comfies to bowls, but the bowls decrease bass if anything.  It might sound more punchy because it has less lower bass, so it sounds more tuneful.  But it doesn't give them more bass volume.

Sorry, I'm new to Head-Fi. The correct term for the pads that come with the Grado SR60i's are comfies, not flats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophonax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've got a pair of the SR60is with both the stock pads and the bowl pads.  IMO, the bowl pads don't do good things to the sound.  I'd say the bass doesn't change all that much, but switching to bowl pads seems to make the SR60i even brighter and more fatiguing.

Moreover, I have to say that I find the stock pads more comfortable than the bowl pads.  When I would try to wear a Grado headphone with bowl pads, I would constantly readjust them, trying to figure out what the "right" way to wear them was.  I don't think the bowl pads were designed for a human being.

[size=small]Hmm, I'll have to look around more. I just want bowl pads because they're circumaural.[/size]

May 26, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:
will those pads fit on a Grado SR80 (not SR80i)?

[edit]
actually, it seems like these might be the ones my Grado SR-80s came with. i think i'm going to go with the replacement cushions for the Sennheiser HD414. They look more comfy, even if i'm not crazy about the yellow color.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Cushions-Sennheiser-HD414-headphones/dp/B002B4OEZ0/ref=pd_cp_e_1

I thought that pads for the SR80i's and SR60i's were the same...
I might consider these pads.

May 26, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:

[size=medium]

[/size]

Sorry, I'm new to Head-Fi. The correct term for the pads that come with the Grado SR60i's are comfies, not flats.

[size=small]Hmm, I'll have to look around more. I just want bowl pads because they're circumaural.[/size]

No apologies needed.  The bowl pads are only curcumarual if you have very small ears. 

May 27, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:

x2

The bowl pads are also prone to crumbling/breakage.  The best solution I have found is the Yellow Senn pads.  They are more comfortable than either the Grado "comfie" or "bowl" pads, and they sound better than both Grado house pads as well.

May 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #9 of 12
From everything I've read about Grado ear pads in the past few days, it seems most people prefer buying the Sennheiser HD 414 pads (the yellow ones) and quarter modding them for use on their headphones.  I think I'm going to do the same thing, but mostly for the looks and not the sound or comfort.  Another mod I've heard about is buying bowl pads and flat pads.  You then cut off most of the rim of the flat pads, put it on the speakers, and then mount the bowls on top of them.  It supposedly is more comfortable/doesn't sound terrible, but I have no first hand experience with them.  I don't have many posts, so I don't know if I can post links yet, but the yellow pads are here:http://shop.sennheiserusa.com/retail2002/ProductDetails.aspx?direct_cat=Parts&direct_prod=019545

They're rather cheap, but I think shipping is about 5.50 for them, I'm not certain.

May 27, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 12
The Senn pads have less bass than the comfies, whether you qtr mod them or not.  A lot of people find them scratchy, as I did.  Try hand washing them, that helps with the scratchiness.

The bowl pads fit on your ears.  I find them very uncomfortable.  Less bass than the comfies too.

I have tried them all, and the big jumbo pads are true circumaural pads, and they are the most comfortable, but I think they suck out too much of the magic from the very nice Grado mids.

I don't understand you saying the comfies are uncomfortable with glasses.  I have glasses and wear my HF2's and RS2i's many hrs per day with the comfies.

Have you adjusted the headband for comfort?  Just like the info sheet says: bend the headband for a personalized, very comfortable fit.

May 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
I don't understand you saying the comfies are uncomfortable with glasses.  I have glasses and wear my HF2's and RS2i's many hrs per day with the comfies.

Have you adjusted the headband for comfort?  Just like the info sheet says: bend the headband for a personalized, very comfortable fit.

Unfortunately, that only increased my listening sessions to one hour.
I've looked around and I found that a lot of people don't like bowl pads so I might opt for the Sennheiser pads. After I wait to see if the Grado's break in anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back