Should i buy the Razer Orca headphones?
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:
Lol, never did see that you replied to my comment over a year ago. Sorry, I just don't like these people who talk **** about Razer Orcas when its obvious they never used them. That goes for any other gaming headphone or other low/no name branded head phones. I've read your review on the mono price headphones that cost $25. It was a good review and I'm curious about them now lol.

Since this thread though, I've bought the M50s, and I can say once again, the Orcas hold up against the M50s quality wise. They jus both have different sound signatures, especially since one is open and one is closed.

I've listened to both... and it's not close...  

Not a fan of either one, but the M50 sounded a lot better to my ears.... the bass was a lot more controlled and they were much more engaging listen.

If you like them as much, more power to you... go use them etc.  But you can see how little concensus there is on here about so many more expensive headphones... everyone likes something different.  People aren't idiots cause they think the M50's are better.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #17 of 43
I would like to give my to thoughts on this subject.
I am not a fan boy (razor or audio tehnica) even thou I own ATH M50 and ATH A500x. And from Razer a Blackwidow, Deathadder, Goliathus.
And I like to be free of prejudice before i test something miself.
In my experience with Razer I never had problem with their product but i did hear a lot of "horror" stories in terms of build quality and so on...

My friend does own a razer headphone. Its the Razer Electra. I have tested it and have to say that it did sound ok. Build quality is good, they sound a lot like my XB600. Bass is there but everything else is not so clear as I would have liked. Comfort is very good and I know it is a subjective matter but I think they look good. Especially in all black color.

If I had to pick Razer Orca or ATH M50 I would go for M50 every time.
Hope it helps and feel free to ask if I can help you more.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #18 of 43
Quote:
I've listened to both... and it's not close...  

Not a fan of either one, but the M50 sounded a lot better to my ears.... the bass was a lot more controlled and they were much more engaging listen.

If you like them as much, more power to you... go use them etc.  But you can see how little concensus there is on here about so many more expensive headphones... everyone likes something different.  People aren't idiots cause they think the M50's are better.

Since when does better bass mean its a better headphone??? I agree that the M50s have better bass, and they're better for most the music I listen to, but the Orcas are much better for vocals and classical music. More clear and the sound stage is much bigger since they're open, which also makes them a lot better for gaming, especially paired with an Astro Mix amp using Dolby Headphone.

BTW, I never once called anyone an idiot for saying M50s are better, so please read the thread before posting BS comments and putting words in my mouth. I called people idiots for saying Headphones like the Orcas "suck" just because they're not known for their headphones, especially when its obvious they have never used them before.

PS...don't forget that you're comparing a headphone that costs $120 (M50) to a headphone thats costs $50 (Orca). They're less than half the price. If it was 2011, it would be 1/3rd the price since the M50s use to cost $150.

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #19 of 43
Quote:
Since when does better bass mean its a better headphone??? I agree that the M50s have better bass, and they're better for most the music I listen to, but the Orcas are much better for vocals and classical music. More clear and the sound stage is much bigger since they're open, which also makes them a lot better for gaming, especially paired with an Astro Mix amp using Dolby Headphone.

BTW, I never once called anyone an idiot for saying M50s are better, so please read the thread before posting BS comments and putting words in my mouth. I called people idiots for saying Headphones like the Orcas "suck" just because they're not known for their headphones, especially when its obvious they have never used them before.

PS...don't forget that you're comparing a headphone that costs $120 (M50) to a headphone thats costs $50 (Orca). They're less than half the price. If it was 2011, it would be 1/3rd the price since the M50s use to cost $150.

1. OP said he likes good clear bass that doesn't distort at all.  You said orca is as good. I simply said that is wrong imo... the bass is not as tight and controlled as the M50.  

2. noone who posted that said they hadn't listened to the orca or any other razer headphone.  I've listened to a few pairs... they've all been pretty bad, even for the price.   I've listened to old akg earbuds I payed $20 for I've liked more than any razer headphone.   From a bit of experience I 100% agree with the "gaming companies don't do headphones well" view.  You do not know people haven't had experience with the orca, so instead of calling them idiots ask them why they think it's bad instead of just being super aggressive.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #20 of 43
Quote:
1. OP said he likes good clear bass that doesn't distort at all.  You said orca is as good. I simply said that is wrong imo... the bass is not as tight and controlled as the M50.  

2. noone who posted that said they hadn't listened to the orca or any other razer headphone.  I've listened to a few pairs... they've all been pretty bad, even for the price.   I've listened to old akg earbuds I payed $20 for I've liked more than any razer headphone.   From a bit of experience I 100% agree with the "gaming companies don't do headphones well" view.  You do not know people haven't had experience with the orca, so instead of calling them idiots ask them why they think it's bad instead of just being super aggressive.

How do you know they have used the Orcas? You dont. I said its "Obvious they never used the orcas". I wasn't guaranteeing that they never used them, but when you have 3 people post in a thread basically saying "they suck" with no explanation other then "razer is a gaming company so their headphones must suck" then its pretty obvious they never used them before.

Why should I need to ask them why they don't like them? Maybe they should explain that without me having to ask them, instead of saying "they suck" with basically no valid explanation.

I honestly don't believe you used them either. If you have, then I feel bad for your ears. You must also think the HD555/595 suck too because guess what?...the Orcas use the same drivers as them. Don't tell me otherwise either because I was told by numerous people on this forum that they used the same exact drivers.

So, if a headphone that costs $50, uses the same drivers as the 555/595 and is half the price as 555s and 1/3 the price as 595s sound bad to you, and worse than a $20 dollar pair of earbuds, then thats pretty sad. Especially when both Sennheisers headphones have been praised for years for having audiophile quality sound.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #22 of 43
sorry for being slightly unrelated, but as far as razer having "top tier" stuff. Not really .-. At least as far as keyboards go.  They're pretty flashy, but my friend has a razer black widow keyboard, and my WASD and his roomates Das Keyboard just blow it out of the water.  The build quality is significantly worse (although its not bad, just the other two are really near top notch) and Razer drivers are total ****, if the stories and his experiences are to be trusted.  Really think their mice are probably their most solid piece of gear.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 43
Quote:
sorry for being slightly unrelated, but as far as razer having "top tier" stuff. Not really .-. At least as far as keyboards go.  They're pretty flashy, but my friend has a razer black widow keyboard, and my WASD and his roomates Das Keyboard just blow it out of the water.  The build quality is significantly worse (although its not bad, just the other two are really near top notch) and Razer drivers are total ****, if the stories and his experiences are to be trusted.  Really think their mice are probably their most solid piece of gear.

The drivers are ****? Ok, go tell that to the numerous other on headfi that said they know for a fact that the Orcas use the same drivers as 555/595.

Feb 14, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:
The drivers are ****? Ok, go tell that to the numerous other on headfi that said they know for a fact that the Orcas use the same drivers as 555/595.

I need proof of this. pictures and substantal proof. I have used the Orca's when my cousin had them and they sounded NOTHING like the 555's

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #26 of 43
Quote:
I need proof of this. pictures and substantal proof. I have used the Orca's when my cousin had them and they sounded NOTHING like the 555's

^^

I owned a pair of 555s.  I don't think the orcas sounded like them at all.  It's not all about the drivers anyway, the cups are a completely different shape, and so are the pads.  If it was the same drivers, razer must have done something horrid with this trying to change the sound signature...

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #27 of 43
I like headphones that Good Bass that doesn't vibrate, distort or bang too much

clear sound

minimal leakage

noise cancellng

comfortable

Good sized cable

I was originally going to purchase the Audio Technica ATH M50's (still have my eye on them) but i can get these for ALOT cheaper and they have in my opinion a perfect design (I'm a bit of a design freak)

V-MODA LP2, M80, V80 or M100.

Audio Technica? Ugh. Plastic.

Look on the V-MODA website, it has everything you specified you wanted. I use my LP2s everyday. So much that I have two pairs. :3

'Nuff said.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #28 of 43
i own orcas, and I think they sound pretty good. However they dont meet your criteria at all. They arent noise canceling and they def leak. They are however VERY comfy... the only headphone that ive owned where i can wear for 15 hours straight without any discomfort at all. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #29 of 43
Well, since Razer is a gaming company (and I do buy a lot of products from them), I would still suggest you buy a product from a company that is more 'dedicated' to music. In one way or another, the Orcas are still in it's essence, geared towards the 'gamer' audience, but not with 100% audiophile in mind. Not that the Orcas don't sound good, in fact, at it's price range, it sounds pretty decent. I do have some gripes with Razer's sound, to me, they tend to amp up the bass and the detail as well as soundstage isn't that great. But anyway, since it's already '13, why don't you look at the Electra as well as Kraken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back