Should i buy an Audigy 2 ZS??
Jan 6, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #76 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
*yawn*
this thread is stupid.

Actually i enjoyed most of the anti-Creative statements since they have info/facts to back them up. However i find it amusing when someone who is pro-creative (or anything for that matter) tries to disguise himself as the defender of a product (or company) that doesn't deserve a bad reputation. Reminds me of companies like Bose and Monster cable. Marketing is king for them and it appears to be the same mantra for Creative.

My vote for the originator is to buy whatever you want, or at least do more research before you anything.

Jan 6, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #77 of 92
I know, for sure, that the Audigy 2 line is by no means "audiophile".
But what kind of speaker/phone equipment do you need to make waste of an Audigy? I mean, in the next couple of years i might be buying a 300-400 buck speaker system from logitech or something, will an emu 0404 sound better than an audigy2 zs on that one? And i mean definitely sound better..
If it will, i think i'll try to find an emu0404 here (because they are very rare where i live).

Of course audiophiles would not consider an Audigy card, and also gamers (or better, home-theatre enthusiasts) would not really consider a Terratec card or something like that..its like in video cards, there are the ati x800 for the gamers and the ati fire gl cards (which are at the same price as the latest x800 cards) for the cad users/designers etc. You really cant compare them, can you?

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #78 of 92
i have tried both the audigy 2 zs and the 1212m. I PREFER the audigy 2 zs sound. Does that make my ears FLAWED?

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #79 of 92
Quote:

Sorry but I could not stand this comment.

First we should start with some basic anti-creative literature

Yes, we all know that the Audigy 1 didn't live up to its claims. But its not like other companies haven't done this either. Look at the Revolution and its DVD-Audio support. Or Intel and the (lack of) Pentium 3/4 performance when the processors were first released. Or nvidia and ATi's "budget" videocards. Or Apple's G4 performance claims. Or the first Athlon64s and how it was basically an excuse for AMD to sell a processor at the same price Intel did. Or Linux supposedly being a viable alternative to Windows.

Everyone, and every company eventually misleads consumers at one point. Then theres a backlash, and the product that was SUPPOSED to be released eventually is. Eventually the Athlon 64s will be worth the money, eventually The P3/4 become fast, etc.

Quote:

OK. Now I HATE it that every Creative-defender across the net thinks that the CPU usage is a selling point anymore.

CPU usage IS a selling point. Listening to music in Winamp on an Audigy/Live puts the CPU usage at a flat 0%. I can even fire up Windows Media Player 10 and start a WMA9.1 encoded file and the CPU usage STAYS at 1%. Why should I sacrifice CPU time and shorten the life of my CPU by making it work when it doesn't have to?

And if one wants to game.. well, there are literally hundreds of benchmark results that prove that the Audigy 2 ZS is so far ahead in gaming performance that other cards shouldn't even be a consideration.

Quote:

Last time I checked, the current bottleneck in gaming performance was not the CPU. In the age of Athlon 64/FX processors we are worried about a maximum of 10fps loss?
And at higher resolution (maybe some AA/AF as well) when the CPU plays nearly NO PART AT ALL, its absolutely zero difference between CPU audio and hardware assisted.
You will see 0fps improvement. Unless you are on a Pentium2 still.

It should go without saying all serious gamers use good processors and high resolution graphics (1280x1024 or 1600x1200), which is the point where you will see very little FPS increase. It can vary depending on the game engine, but as you increase resolution the GPU becomes the bottleneck, not the 'strenuous sound processing'.. /sarcasm
And in cases where the CPU IS the limiting factor (some modern games and very low resolution; 640x480,800x600), you get beyond 100+FPS anyway.
Whether you get 110 with an Audigy or 100 with a M-Audio makes no difference.

Its not so much about high frame-rate as it is CONSISTANCY. Nothing is more distracting than small hiccups here and there. When I played games, nothing was more annoying than an occasional dropped frame. Sure, frame-rates may be high, but even a single dropped frame is noticable and distracting. Thats far more important than how high it is. If the frame-rate is even 30fps, it doesn't matter. As long as its consistant. A "serious" gamer will want a consistantly SMOOTH experience. Not a varying frame-rate caused by the soundcard eating up CPU cycles. You may only get 10 more frames per second than an M-Audio, but that variation could mean a lot to a "serious gamer".

Quote:

The bottom line is: if you feel yourself to be a hardcore gamer, and your gaming rig is brought to its knees from your game sound processing.. your rig probably isnt as hardcore as you think it is.

If you're a "hardcore gamer" then you need to get out of the house and live life.

Quote:

In fact, you will benefit more in going to a better QUALITY sound card.

You'll benefit from a card that provides a consistantly smooth experience. Not from a placebo induced "it must be better because they said so" card.

Gaming stresses every component in your system. Anyone who claims to be "hardcore" or "serious" knows this, and they need top performance. They also need to put down the mouse and go outside and get some fresh air.

Quote:

Now A3D, THAT was a great positional audio algorithm.
Positioning these days is entirely done by DirectSound3D.

Now that statement proves that you're just another anti-Creative fanboy. Every anti-Creative fanboy makes reference to A3D. Sure it was okay. But it's been dead and gone for what? 6 years now? Its time to let it go and stop making reference to it. It died before EAX2.0 came out. It was dead before there was even a revision to the Live! line of cards. Just let it go.

Quote:

To sum it all up: graphic acceleration is still THE bottleneck, CPUs are not, audio acceleration is not.

A system has to be well balanced for gaming, or any demanding application. The CPU and GPU are important in poorly optimized games, like Doom 3. So in that case, a good soundcard is important. Also, games like Alice, Grand Theft Auto 3/VC use the "Miles Sound System" which is heavily CPU dependent and benefits greatly from a good soundcard.

Everything you've said, combined with the Aureal3D comment just leads one to believe that you're another anti-Creative fanboy that likes to do the trendy thing and bash a company. Its pretty sad when someone bashes a COMPANY.

Quote:

Why would I have lost the argument? The rest of the head-fiers here don't even use a Creative for music. Of course, that doesn't get through your thick skull I guess.

Do you read this forum at all? Or have you only read this thread? Since registered just so you could reply in this thread, and make your other fanboyish thread. Plenty of people here use their Audigy 2 for music, and I even saw one or two that use an Audigy 2 NX. Use the "Search" button. Its your friend.

Quote:

Buggy drivers? You're talking about Creative, known to have damn buggy, bloated drivers.

Bloated? Never had a problem with bloat. They do install a lot of software. But anyone who knows how to click "Custom" knows that you can install only what you want and need. I've been using Creative as far back as the Sound Blaster 16 (which lasted for many many years). Then I switched to an ESS based Aureal3D card. I forget the name. Then I tried a MUSE, then a Fortissimo 2, then the Live. I've also played around with all of the Audigy cards and the USB Live! 24-bit. I've never had a problem with their drivers. Not a single one. You can also use the kX drivers.

Quote:

I invite everyone here to see 3dss Audigy forums.

Funny you should mention the 3dss forums. Remember how you said that the Audigy 4 Pro review would point out all of the flaws in the Audigy line?

Quote:

This card isn't like the comparison with the A2 vs the Revo 7.1, where the A2 had some better vocals on some songs, but the Revo is overall better, tho each has some flaws that some prefer to others. The A4 just brute forced outclassed it, period. It's like comparing the Revo to the 1820M.

http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/w...5&o=14&fpart=8

Seems like she liked it. She also points out that the Revo AND Audigy 2 have their flaws, and some people prefer one cards flaws to another. hmm.... interesting, isn't it?

Quote:

In fact, Victoria concludes that the Audigy 4 is the card that finally delivers on the promise and hype of prior Audigy editions and in the process becomes the first sound card to earn the 3DsoundSurge Gold Medal of Excellence!

http://www.3dss.com/#1105082951

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/...udigy4pro.html

Even though she makes obvious comments to please the anti-Creative fanboys.. for example, the comment about the Santa Cruz being better than the Audigy (please, that card was only an equal to the Live!), she makes up for it and proves that Creative DOES make good products.

Quote:

Now enter the Audigy 4 Pro. The user can now have superb, lossless multichannel audio on their home theatre rigs. Finally, we have a card that can produce the analog quality that is offered by external decoding these users have grown accustomed, matched with the defacto gaming support that Creative has come to be known for. More objective details on the audio quality later on in the review.

What? What happened to "pointing out all of the bad things in the Audigy?"

Quote:

When I first connected the Audigy 4 to my receiver, and played my music from Foobar2000, I was prepared for the worst. However, when I started listening, my first thought was that I was still playing music that was converted to analog on the Pioneer via SPDIF, and checked all my settings. I then learned that I had indeed had it all setup correctly, and that the audio was being produced from the Audigy 4 analog outputs. What a pleasant surprise, needless to say. The audio was clear, clean, instruments were distinct, and the background was not meshed into the foreground, and vice versa.

Ahem. I still don't see where she is point out the flaws in the Audigy line.

Quote:

In summary, the cards competes very well with my Pioneer, and it AK4586 DAC. The Revolution 7.1 was outclassed, pure and simple. The Audigy 4 had all the tonal strengths of the Revolution 7.1, and then some. The performance was literally like listening to a hi-grade component player, which was once only achievable by using professional studio cards. It's about time the Audigy lived up to its marketing name.

Such a BAD line of cards.

Quote:

Music lovers will be able to have the quality they desire for whatever rigs they use, be it multimedia systems, HT systems, or quality headphones and dedicated headphone amplifiers.
All in all a package of features, price and performance that add up to the very first sound card to earn the 3DSoundSurge Surge of Approval and Gold Medal of Excellence!

I thought that review was supposed to say how bad the Audigys were? Hmm. I guess that just goes to show that anti-fanboys of anything (cars, computers, music) will fabricate any lie to backup their argument.

Quote:

You can't even get the A2/A2ZS to playback 24bit properly without jumping through many configuration hoops either. And you think the AV-710 configuration is hard?

Configuration hoops? uh... You're talkin about something that was written about the Audigy 2 (not ZS) 2 years ago. You're proving yourself to be the ultimate anti-Creative fanboy by looking up old "facts" that are no longer true and completely outdated. Thats like looking back to a 1950s era Corvette and saying "all Corvettes are weak". Get with the times.

Quote:

I present to all, the Creative version of it.

Typical anti-Creative fanboy that has lost all credibility in this debate.

Quote:

But what kind of speaker/phone equipment do you need to make waste of an Audigy? I mean, in the next couple of years i might be buying a 300-400 buck speaker system from logitech or something, will an emu 0404 sound better than an audigy2 zs on that one? And i mean definitely sound better..
If it will, i think i'll try to find an emu0404 here (because they are very rare where i live).

You want 5.1 sound, right? Then the Audigy is your only option between the two. Espicially if you plan on playing games or watching movies at all. The EMU 0404 is designed for music creation. The Audigy 2 ZS is designed for 5.1 sound in games, movies, etc. The ZS is basically designed to do everything a receiver does.

Quote:

i have tried both the audigy 2 zs and the 1212m. I PREFER the audigy 2 zs sound. Does that make my ears FLAWED?

According to SoundStorm, you will be the root of all evil and the cause of all bad things in this world.

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:41 AM Post #80 of 92
You provide nothing to support your claims, but you result to insults like "Anti-Creative fanboy". Typical Creative fanboys that know nothing. You have less credibility than you think. Every single review points out differently, Creative cards are crap for music. Every single reviewer, from Maxim of IXBT/Digit-Life to Scott Wasson/Geoff Gassior of Techreport gives the nod to the Envy24 cards for sound quality.

http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/7249

Quote:

After hearing the audio solutions presented back to back in one of our listening test sessions, I decided I just didn't care about hardware acceleration of 3D positional audio anymore. You can have those 10 frames per second back; just give me good, clean audio with decent mixing of streams, and I'm happier with that. At least the best cards based on VIA's Envy24HT chip, which utterly lacks hardware 3D acceleration capabilities, can meet that requirement reasonably well.

http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=565

If you actually READ the 3dss review, the A4P is totally different from the A2/A2ZS. You of course conveniently left out some parts in your quoting.

Quote:

I came to the conclusion that this was not just a remake of the Audigy 2 series. Sure, the functionality is basically the same, but the core hardware got a very nice upgrade.

Creative only makes good products when they use the premium DAC used in the 1212M/1820M into the A4P? So basically if you only want to spend around the price of the A2ZS, you can't get the sound of the A4P. Remember, the A2 series have a 114dB flagship multichannel DAC from Cirrus Logic, yet everyone, reviewers and users alike prefer the sound of Envy24 based cards with lesser spec DAC. Quite an embarassment how they messed up the sound of a 114dB flagship multichannel DAC from Cirrus.

Jan 7, 2005 at 1:49 PM Post #81 of 92
oh man, you people keep repeating yourselves..

New question: is the Audigy 2 zs a worthy purchase now or should we wait for the audigy 4, some months so that the price will go down?

Jan 7, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #82 of 92
Why dont you two settle it with a slapfight?

Jan 7, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #83 of 92
Okay, stop this fanboyism!
mad.gif

I know that some of the Creative cards are absolute utter crap. The A2 ZS, while it falls short of the "better" cards in its price range in absolute sound quality, certainly doesn't deserve its "crappy" label IMHO. And every sound card in the A2 ZS's price range will disappoint you in one way or another, even if some of them sound much better than the others. Heck, some of the ultra-expensive "pro" sound cards don't support gaming at all whatsoever due to their lack of even basic DirectSound support, let alone DirectSound 3D support - they require proprietary APIs which are mostly or completely incompatible with games.

Jan 7, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #84 of 92
Mosxs that was the most defensive post I've ever seen.

I'm sorry to have stomped out your precious..

but I argued the facts of technology, and how even though the SB does offload the sound processing, its a moot point beyond 640x480 (which is where all of those benchmarks you rely on to prove that "all other cards are not worth consideration"), so enjoy your 640x480.

You are arguing for Creative. I'm not so much against them, their product is just heralded on false premise.

But who is going to argue with the guy who is.. and I quote

Quote:

Why should I sacrifice CPU time and shorten the life of my CPU by making it work when it doesn't have to?

That was laughable, like many of your replies. I'm not even going to waste my time.
When your ready to be openminded, reread what my first post said and you MIGHT be able to figure out what I'm saying instead of seeing it as an attack.
Like I said, to those who "want their 1% back", buy a Audigy, enjoy subpar sound.

I never thought I'd actually see someone take it to the level you did but I think I should alert the media and public officially: buy your Audigy2ZS and extend your CPU lifetime!!!
/takes Creative marchitechure hat off

Its not worth arguing with you guys, there is truth in my first post if you choose to see it. But instead, I'd bet you bought into a Audigy2ZS, dont like anyone stomping out your junk and now your defensive.

Sad.

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:10 AM Post #85 of 92
I own an Audigy 2 ZS and actually it sucks, especially the drivers. Creative admitted after a 50 page thread about the broken sub output in their forums that their current drivers are not designed for connecting the card to to home hi-fi equipment. Of course if you bought a Creative speaker system you wouldn't have any problem.
mad.gif

Only the included THX-console would be nice if it worked properly:

1. forget your subwoofer if you use 4.1 or 2.1 speakers. The sub redirection does not work with those configs! Then again that's not a problem if your hi-fi can do the sub redirection.

2. I have the honour of configuring the THX-console all over again everytime I switch from 5.1 to headphones for example.

3. the sub channel can't be set louder like the other channels, only lower.

Also the analogue sub output seems to be too weak. I haven't tried it myself because I use it only for gaming and this applies to multichannel sources only (50 page thread at Creative's forums). If you already have a DD/DTS processor you can connect the card digitally and there shouldn't be any issues though.
very_evil_smiley.gif

So this leaves you with a broken THX-console, mediocre sound and hardware (what about chinch connections like my AWE64 Gold had; and NO I won't pay 200 euros for that external connection box!), better performance only with 7.1 compared to the Terratec cards (5.1 isn't noticable) and EAX.

EAX is a joke! Ok, EAX 4.0 Advanced HD
eek.gif
provides basic functions like, umm, blending of the echo effects but that version isn't free and therefore you can't expect more than 1 game per year to have it (if at all). Yes A3D died because Creative bought it but obviously they have no intention of using the technology which is vastly superior than EAX. A3D 2.0 meant actual 3-dimensional tracing of the sound in the gaming enviroment.

edit: The Audigy 4 won't be more than a driver update AFAIK.

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:51 PM Post #88 of 92
First off, I am glad to see someone read my review on 3DSS.
biggrin.gif

However, if you are going to quote it, please let's use it in context.

1) The review is of the Audigy 4, and I would hope that it was noted that the card is not the same as the Audigy / Audigy 2 / Audigy 2 ZS series. The audio characteristics of the A4 outperform it's older siblings easily. The fact that opamp stress distortion is non-existant at master volumes above 77% (the RMAA scores were at 100% master volume), bass and treble settings do not cause bloated freq humps, etc are just some of the old issues that aren't in this iteration. The point I was trying to make that this card finally redeems the Audigy line to be worthy of being something called an "Audigy" (an Audio Prodigy). I was in no way suggesting that the whole line was great. I think my reference to "both love and loathing" suggested that there was compromises to be made with the past cards.

2) EAX Advanced HD uses some the old A3D 2.0 wavetracing code for it's own, which is not available to EAX 2.0 users. So the comment that EAX has nothing to do with 3D Audio positioning isn't exactly true, since one cannot extract the 3D positional code updates from the environmental effects code.

On another note:

3) "Not only that, you're STUCK with Foobar. You can't use better software like iTunes." When did Foobar2000 become inferior to iTunes?
blink.gif
Please don't tell me it's because of looks. With new additions like foo_dts and foo_channel_mixer, this is one great player.

4) Since I mentioned foo_channel_mixer, someone earlier discussed the LFE attenuation loss with analog out and multichannel 5.1 output. Since this DSP can convert stereo to upmixed discrete 6 channel audio, you can workaround this limitation, at least with music playback until it's fixed in the drivers.

5) With games still pushing the graphic envelope, offloading APU to hardware is still a notable benefit. If your gaming at your desired quality level hovers at about 30 fps, getting 36fps is appreciated.

All in all, I believe I was trying to state that for those who have multiple soundcards (one for games, one for music, which together can cost $150+) or are looking for a viable replacement for their Soundstorm / AV receiver combo since Soundstorm is not currently available with newer chipsets, then the Audigy 4 Pro may be what you were looking for as a one-card solution.

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:15 AM Post #89 of 92
I wanted to post a follow up to this earlier, but unfortunately I couldn't. Anyway, I just want to say a couple of things.

I still stand by what I said. The Audigy 2 isn't even half as bad as people make it out to be. It shouldn't be compared to the Emu cards, as the two product lines are vastly different. Comparing the two is like comparing an SUV to a Mustang Cobra. Similar purposes, but vastly different roles in life.

The Chaintech isn't as bad as I said it was, however, as an all around card, it's not as good as the Audigy 2. If one has an Audigy 2, theres no need to spend extra money on an additional card. If you want to improve the sound quality of your Audigy 2, or any Emu 10kx based card, use the kX drivers http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

From what I can tell, theres a pretty dramatic increase in sound quality when switching to those drivers. You get the benefits of the Audigy, as well as much improved sound quality.

Oh well, thats it. I was wrong on some things I said, others were wrong on some things they said.

End of discussion.

Feb 17, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #90 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoSXS
From what I can tell, theres a pretty dramatic increase in sound quality when switching to those drivers. You get the benefits of the Audigy, as well as much improved sound quality.

Speaking of benefits, the kX drivers - to my knowledge - still don't support EAX. That leaves, well, reduced CPU load and multi-channel audio I guess. Not something I'd trade sound quality for, but that's just me.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back