Should Head-Fi use StupidFilter?
Nov 10, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #16 of 52
Yes, why not.
If it only catch stupid posts (mostly spam anyway), and no real posts that is.

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #17 of 52
I thought no at first but after reading about it I voted yes.

I'm all for censoring stupidity.

The kinds of things they were talking about would be against the rules anyway, this is just a tool to enforce those same rules that we all agreed to.

People do have valid concerns though, such as non-native English speakers. Things like that would have to be sorted out, which it sounds like they would be. A few spelling/grammatical mistakes would not warrant filtering.

Things like posts in all caps or dozens of exclamation points, I don't think deserve a post.

It seems like it wouldn't find much to censor on head-fi anyway. The "stupid" posts we get here are crafty enough not to be caught by those criteria.

When will they invent a Willful Ignorance filter?...

Nov 10, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

It is not our intent to eliminate debate or disagreement, but rather to programmatically enforce a certain quality of expression. Put another way: The StupidFilter will cheerfully approve an eloquent, properly-capitalized defense of mandatory, state-subsidized rocket-launcher ownership for all schoolchildren.

So you can still make stupid comments, as long as they are eloquently stated.
icon10.gif

Actually this is more a writing style filter than a "stupidity" filter. It doesn't so much judge the stupidity of a piece of text but rather wether it has any semantic content at all.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like it wouldn't find much to censor on head-fi anyway. The "stupid" posts we get here are crafty enough not to be caught by those criteria.

When will they invent a Willful Ignorance filter?...

Luckily there's a manual version, of which I'm a thankful user by the way.

[rant mode]Some people here on Head-Fi just make my blood boil with the amount of ignorance and twisted facts they manage to inject into almost every single statement. And then there's the clincher: Condescending willful ignorance...kind of makes you start to consider the virtues of physical violence.
May I suggest a condescending willful ignorance filter hooked up to an auto targeting missile launcher?
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/rant mode]

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here.

There's so much stupidity, immaturity and plain ignorance on that site. StupidFilter REALLY needs to be applied to it.

Head-Fi doesn't need one IMO, since most of us aren't that stupid.
tongue.gif

Sir,

That is not the truth. We are, in fact, even more stupid. They just watch videos all day, we spend our fortune on devices that just make the air vibrate in a slightly different way.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #24 of 52
I say no filter, there aren't really that many stupid comments on Head-Fi and it would just result in posting problems. Some of what the filter would consider "stupid" end up being the funniest posts.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily there's a manual version, of which I'm a thankful user by the way.

[rant mode]Some people here on Head-Fi just make my blood boil with the amount of ignorance and twisted facts they manage to inject into almost every single statement. And then there's the clincher: Condescending willful ignorance...kind of makes you start to consider the virtues of physical violence.
May I suggest a condescending willful ignorance filter hooked up to an auto targeting missile launcher?
very_evil_smiley.gif
[/rant mode]

You mean it's not ok for me to say in a definitive manner that such and such headphone lacks treble/mids/bass is too this/that/the other without having them myself?

You mean I can't common how much or how little having a decent source matters to the sound, if I've never heard a decent source?

I can't say cables don't matter or this/that/the other is too this/that without having heard for myself??

Shock-horror!
eek.gif

wink.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #26 of 52
I am now convinced this stupidfilter is the way of the future. It could PREVENT people like Merton from ever posting again!

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #27 of 52
No to a filter. It is a bit like a lousy TV program, if you don't like it change channel. In our case change thread.

cheers
Simon

Nov 29, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #29 of 52
I don't think that there is much of a "stupid posts" situation on this forum - one of the reasons I like it so much, but as a concept, it's a wonderful idea. I tend to ignore the mindless posts of abbreviations and strange spellings of words, but if there is software to filter it, great, it just saved me a few seconds of looking at the text before I go on to the next.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #30 of 52
Agreed. One of the reasons I spend so much time on this forum is because the vast majority of users (at least the ones I care to read) take the time to express themselves properly.

Looking at the stupidfilter examples, there were a number of instances rated at 3. They had comparitively minor "infractions" and as far as I can tell, would pretty well guarantee that the language barriers mentioned earlier would become a problem. Leave censorship up to the individual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back