Short review of a AKG listening session, various headphones
Nov 26, 2010 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Coldcut

New Head-Fier
Hi, went down to my local hifi dealer to get a pair of headphones for portable use, not walking or running though, will mostly be used on the train, busses, airplanes etc. Used my Iphone 4 for the tests.

Contenders are:
AKG K518 DJ
AKG K540
AKG K530
AKG K514
AKG K142HD
AKG K242HD
AKG K172HD

AKG K518 DJ

Started with this headphone.

+ tight and controlled sound
+ ok bass
+ nice size and ok portability
+ easy load for source
- only so-so in comfort
- not a very wide soundstage
- details get lost a bit sometimes

= About what you can expect in this pricerange, sounds reminds  a bit of a good set of earplugs.

AKG K540

A fairly new, closed headphone.

+ Warm and easy to listen to sound
+ Good bass
+ more details then the K518DJ
+easy load
+comfortable
- not the best build quality
- not very neutral sounding
- bass gets too heavy on some music

= Pleasant sound, but build is a bit cheap. Not worth twice the money of the K518DJ.

AKG K530

Big, semiopen over ear headphone.

+ Better neutrality than K540
+ very comfortable
- a lot of plastic
- very big
- a bit boring, flat sound

= Best value for money so far, but accuracy take its toll on engagement and musicality. Too big for portable use.

AKG K514

One of the cheaper models of AKG full size headphones

+ Good value
+ Some qualities inherited from its more expensive siblings
- Not close to the other headphones in soundquality

= Did only spend 2 minutes with this headphone, not good enough in the competition

AKG K142HD

A semiopen on ear headphone with studio looks

+ Very open and wide soundstage
+ Smooth, but yet detailed sound
+ Deep and refined bass
- Heavy load for a mp3 player
- Leaks sound due to its open design

= Best headphone so far

AKG K242HD

Big brother to K142HD, over ear.

All of the pros and cons of the K142HD, maybee 5% better in soundquality, but in even greater need of an amp.

AKG K172HD

A closed headphone in the studio series.

+ A lot of details!
+ Deep and precise bass
+ Easier to drive than its semiopen siblings
- A bit narrow soundstage
- Not all like the "live" presentation

= Great headphone with a lot of musicality

Conslusion:  Best in the bunch is no doubt the K242HD and K172HD. To make a final decision I asked if they could be hooked up to a headamp and a cd player.

AKG K242HD with headamp

Wow. An even wider soundstage. Deeper bass. More details, but still a very smooth presentation. Very relaxing to listen to.

AKG K172HD with headamp
Details, details, details. Very articulated and precise bass, yet deep. Not as wide soundstage as the K242HD, but in return you get very close to the musicians. Great separation between instruments, voices and audience.

Final decision: I bought the AKG K172HD. A very engaging and detailed sound. A precision instrument. Also bought it because of its closed design. Highly recommended.

Equipment used: Iphone 4. Marantz S15 CD Player. Project Headbox.
Music; Chris Jones, Muse, Nils Lofgren, Dream Theater, Youn Sun Nah.

Nov 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 14
Interesting read as I have never tried AKG's lower end. Ever compared any of these to the K701/2s?

Nov 27, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 14
sumathias: Yes; I have listened to the K701, but not at this occasion. From what I remember sound is similar to the semiopen K142 and K242. From the sub 100$ headphones there is a huge difference up to the K701 of course, but im very impressed of the the sound you get from AKDs HD series, well worth an audition before you spend twice the money on the K701.

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 14
Hmm I guess I should have gave them a listen before I jumped on the K701s then. Thanks!

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 14
Great Post! I was hesitant whether or not I should buy the K242HD as the sort of low tier (what an understatement!) carry around headphones, but this made clear that I won't be disappointed by it. 

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 14
About the K518 DJ, did you notice if they had that extra layer of foam inside the earpads? The K518 series has got an extra layer that you can remove (just pluck it out) and that reduces bass a lot at the same time as it opens up the mids and highs. The K518 DJ/LE sound okay with the extra foam layer, and without it, they sound very good. Especially considering the low price.

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #7 of 14
pearlfact: The 242s are very good headphones, but they are rather big and are hungry for power. Bass didnt come out great from my Iphone on higher listening volumes.

danneq:  Interesting, didnt notice that. Im sure they will improve a lot by removing the foam. Main reason why I did not go with them was more of a ergonomics issue than sound.

Nov 27, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #8 of 14
I do not own the K518, but I am thinking of buying the LE version for my wife. While we are living in Japan this year (she's Japanese and I'm Swedish), I waste little time in going to Japanese electronics stores which can be like heaven. All the headphones sold can be tried using your own MP3 player.

Today I just went for a short while and compared the Sennheiser HD25 1:II (I am considering these for myself), and the AKG K518 DJ. The Sennheiser and AKG booths are next to each other and I could easily compare. During an earlier visit I plucked the foam layer out of the K518 and put them on a shelf (where they still are lying). Overall, the difference in sound between the HD25 and the foamless K518 is not very big. The HD25 are better, but not 2 or 3 times better considering the price. So the K518 are a great bang for the buck.

But you are correct in the K518 can clamp a lot. I have read that it can become uncomfortable during longer listening sessions. You can counter that with trying to loosen the headband by stretching it out over a stack of books or so.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with your K172HD. In the AKG booth at the local Yodobashi electronics store, they hang next to the K518 DJ. I'll have to give them a try the next time! I did try the K701 today. Very nice, but not exactly ideal for portable use.

Nov 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 14
Welcome to head-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Interesting contribution, nice to have comparisons on some of the (maybe too much) AKG models.

I'm a bit surprised you got more detail out of the 172HD vs 242HD and better instrument sep. with Dream Theater. Nice you asked for amp!

Nov 27, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 14
Thank you!

I dont think the K172 necessarily has a better separation or a higher level of details than K242, its just different. Since the K172 is closed, it gives you a more direct, compact and forward sound, while the K242 is more relaxed and open. If the K172 takes you very close to the stage and accentuates the start and stop, pace and rythm, K242 takes you 40 feet back and puts more air and space between notes and instruments.

For longer listeng sessions at home I would have chosen the K242. For portable use I prefer the K172.

BUT I expect them to meet during burn in, K172 will probably be smoother with time, and K242 more lively with better defenition in the low freq. area.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 14
Hi Coldcut,

Is the AKG172HD sibilant with female vocals? Does it improve after running in? I am contemplating buying the 172, Thanks.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the post Coldcut!  I've been considering getting the K518LE myself, but now I think I may want the K182HD instead.  I'm looking for a closed & portable companion to the K240 Studio I just picked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back