Shopping for Portables...
Aug 16, 2010 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Daft_Luvr_94

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a while, guys!  I'm back, looking for some new headphones for the upcoming school year.  I worry about wearing my DT 250s in public, for obvious reasons, so I thought I'd choose something a little cheaper/smaller.  I'd be running these un-amped out of an iPod, and my music collection consists mainly of electronic/rock.  My budget is around $30-40.

Here are a few I've considered:

-Koss PortaPros
-Audio-Technica ATH-P3
-Sennheiser PX 200s

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free!  Thanks in advance for the help.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #3 of 9
Koss PortaPro: Bass and Soundstage are it's forte!

Black one here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Koss+-+PortaPro+Portable+Headphones+-+Black/9492391.p?id=1218113927982&skuId=9492391&st=koss%20portapro&cp=1&lp=1

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm actually partial to the blue/silver PortaPros, which are stocked by my local Best Buy.  They also have the Sony MDR-570LP.  They're pretty snazzy, but I haven't heard good things about the sound.  Personally, I love the look of the PortaPros, I'm just worried about the durability.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #5 of 9
Don't worry about the durability - there's a lifetime warranty on them from Koss, you just pay shipping ($6 I think).  I've only had mine maybe 2 months, but they don't seem to need to be babied.  I jog with them (they're great for that btw, they don't isolate so you can hear cars/dogs etc), I do yard work with them...they've been my toss around pair and seem to love it.  Very glad I bought them.

Edit - you would be surprised by how well they stay on..also they're very comfortable, so it's very easy to forget they're on.  But as mentioned, they don't isolate, so expect to hear everything going on around you behind the music.

Aug 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 9
I wore them in the store, and you're right: they're really comfortable.  I plan to use them mainly at school, and it can get pretty noisy in the hallways.  Do you think the lack of isolation would be a problem?  It may help to know that I'm transitioning from earbuds, and I was fine with those.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 9
Shouldn't be a problem then if you are used to earbuds... maybe a bus with the windows open, but hallways are usually fine for me, even with the crowd noise. Another consideration for the black model is that it has a cloth sheathed cable.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 9
Are you referring to the rope-ish cords?  Because the blue one I sampled had those, too.  Regardless, I think I've made my decision.

Aug 17, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 9
Yes, it feels like shoestring... Glad you landed on the PortaPro!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back