Shopping for new headphones need some advice
Aug 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

XxTearGodxX

New Head-Fier
I finally decided I'm going to pick up a pair of good headphones.

I want something that sounds great yet looks stylish. My budget is $50-$60. I want over the head headphones NOT EARBUDS! I can not buy online only in store, some stores I have access to are ( best buy, j&r, kmart, radio shack, staples, target, walmart

I mostly plan on using these to play my Nintendo 3DS and to listen to music on the side.

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 9
It seems to be difficult to locate the headphone models worth buying at that price point in the stores. Its like they just don't want to carry the phones that give the best bang for your buck. Amazon is truly the way to go. Unless you want Beats or some junky Skullcandys, good luck.

What kind of environment will you be using these in? Noisy areas? Are you concerned about bothering people around you?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 9
I will be using them both in doors and out doors while gaming on my Nintendo 3DS sometimes on a subway and mostly will be used in New York City, so I suppose there may be some noise while out and about. Don't really care about bothering the people around me honestly lol.

I honestly did pick up a pair of Skullcandy Supreme Sound Hesh Headphones for $50 bucks but haven't opened them. I think I am going to check more stores locally online before I commit to a pair.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 9
Often you can find some of the lower end Sennheisers, and the odd decent Sony or Panasonic headphone in local stores. At least, I can here.

My advice is to look around at what is recommended at that price point generally, keeping in mind that larger names will likely be easier to find in store, then just see what your local one actually offers.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM Post #6 of 9
Not sure if you can find a pair of AKG K81 or K518's in stores, but if you can, they're well worth the price.

EDIT: Looks like Best Buy sells them on their site. You could see if they have them at your local store, or if they don't, see if they can order them.

Aug 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Just checked Best Buy's website, the only Sennheiser they have in stock at a few local stores are these below.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sennheiser+-+Around-the-Ear+Headphones+-+Black/Metallic+Chrome/9417295.p?id=1218102966969&skuId=9417295

I'm on J&R's website looking as well but it doesn't tell me if their store in NYC has anything listed in stock.

Aug 5, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks, I just took a look at B&H Photo Video's website, but I don't see anything I like within my price range.

So far I have these 2 in mind but am leaning more towards the Shure

Shure SRH240A
http://www.jr.com/shure/pe/SHU_SRH240A/

Sennheiser HD419
http://www.jr.com/sennheiser/pe/SEN_HD419/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back