Shielding the Ibasso D12
Mar 21, 2011 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Sorensiim

Headphoneus Supremus
I love my Ibasso D12, I really do. Sat down this saturday night for just a very quick listen and didn't even notice the 4 hours flying by while wearing my Sennheisers. 

With that out of the way, there is one major problem with the D12: This thing picks up more signals than NORAD. Not while I'm at home, but if I bring it to work it responds LOUDLY to every single cell phone within a 2-metre radius. Not only incoming calls or texts, but just the cell phone looking for signal will trigger massive interference in the D12, enough to make me rip the headphones off my head. The network coverage at work is lackluster at best, so I guess the cell phones have to work harder to get a clear signal or something like that :)

My Cowon J3 get's the job done for playing music at the office, but I'd love to be able to use my D12 here as well. I've been looking at different shielding materials to find something suitable for fitting inside the D12's case as I don't want to spoil the looks of the poor thing. I've been looking at ERS paper, 3M EMI-blocking tape and sheets of EMI/RF blocking material, basically thin sheets of ferrite covered in rubber.

Does anyone here have any experience with shielding devices like the D12 from EMI/RF noise?

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 11

It is likely that your D12 is picking up the interference via the input cable, which can act as an antenna.   Have you tried a shielded input cable or perhaps one of a different length? 
Quote:
I love my Ibasso D12, I really do. Sat down this saturday night for just a very quick listen and didn't even notice the 4 hours flying by while wearing my Sennheisers. 

With that out of the way, there is one major problem with the D12: This thing picks up more signals than NORAD. Not while I'm at home, but if I bring it to work it responds LOUDLY to every single cell phone within a 2-metre radius. Not only incoming calls or texts, but just the cell phone looking for signal will trigger massive interference in the D12, enough to make me rip the headphones off my head. The network coverage at work is lackluster at best, so I guess the cell phones have to work harder to get a clear signal or something like that :)

My Cowon J3 get's the job done for playing music at the office, but I'd love to be able to use my D12 here as well. I've been looking at different shielding materials to find something suitable for fitting inside the D12's case as I don't want to spoil the looks of the poor thing. I've been looking at ERS paper, 3M EMI-blocking tape and sheets of EMI/RF blocking material, basically thin sheets of ferrite covered in rubber.

Does anyone here have any experience with shielding devices like the D12 from EMI/RF noise?

Mar 21, 2011 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 11
Ive tried two different cables but I think I have a few more lying around... Will give them a go :)

Mar 21, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
The D12 is doing you a favor by revealing the flood of EMF that is slowly cooking your brain :)

Dude - I live in Denmark. We have the crappy British weather AND the worlds highest tax pressure. It would appear that there is no more brains left for the EMF to cook...

Mar 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Latest update from Fried Brains City: I dug through my impressive collection of cables last night and found no less than 5 USB -> Miniusb cables, including one that's quite thick and a lot stiffer than the others. No interference so far at work, using that cable...

Edit: Yes there is. My cell phone just came to life, effectively microwaving everything around it. Still a lot less intereference than before...

Mar 22, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 11
Just tossed my cell phone in an antistatic bag. No more noise from that thing. No calls either... Mmm the silence...

Edit: This was done after I listened to the D12 without a usb cable attached at all, just the headphones. Same amount of rf/emi, so we can rule out the usb cable as the "source". I wonder how well it would work if I tossed the insides of the D12 in the antistatic bag, cut the necessary holes for plugs and switches and then put it all back in the casing. 

Not terribly well I guess, the entire amp, sans usb cable, still picks up plenty of noise when inside the antistatic bag. Guess it's time to try this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EMI-COPPER-FOIL-SHIELDING-TAPE-LOW-IMPEDANCE-CONNECTION-/390299649999?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5adfac07cf#ht_887wt_905

Mar 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 11
Jasonb had the same problem with his pa2v2 amp.  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/516838/anyway-to-eliminate-interference-from-a-cell-phone-on-a-pa2v2-e5

He used aluminum tape, which you can get at any hardware store.

Mar 22, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Nicely done! I'll be looking forward to the copper tape getting here. Coulda found some locally, but getting it from the UK was literally 1/3 of the price, even when you factor in the shipping cost :)

Mar 22, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Maybe slap some ferrite beads around your inputs and outputs? Can't hurt to try, and those are just a couple bucks from an electronics shop.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 11
I just covered the inside of the D12 with the copper foil tape and it made an audible difference. Much less noise (I no longer have to yank off my headphones when the RFI hits), but still enough to annoy me. I'll pick up a shielded Belkin USB cable (praised here on Head-fi) in my lunch break, and I have a shielded copper cable for my Senn HD25-1 IIs on order as well as a short IC made from the same shielded Mogami cable. For the price I paid for the copper foil, I'm satisfied with the result. I only have the RFI problem at work where my cell phone really has to yank it radios up to "Insta-fry" strength to get a signal, but I'd still like my D12 to be usable here.

Edit: There are some uncovered gaps inside the case, in the corners and the grooves where you slide in the PCB. Will be covering them next and report back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back