Shaving, gents
Dec 6, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #241 of 943
X2 on joining Badger & Blade, or just lurking to read how to shave correctly. I never really had trouble with ingrowns, but used to get razorburn and had trouble getting a few tough patches.

Since I switched fully to DE and learned to do it right, I have no irritation and perfect shaves that last 5-6 hours longer than a cartridge shave. Done right, you barely notice that you're shaving at all and the aftershave doesn't sting, either. It can be slow going the first few months while you adjust and learn, though. Early on, it'd take me a good 30-40 minutes to shave. Now it's about 10-15. You'll also spend some time going through a couple dozen brands of blades until you find the right one for you. Blades are very individual.

Anyhow, give it a try. There are some pricey razors and brushes, but the inexpensive ones work well. Also, you're going to find a world of products, so there's a lot to see and try. And compared to audio, everything seems very inexpensive. :)

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #242 of 943
Quote:
And compared to audio, everything seems very inexpensive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Amen to that, brother...

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #243 of 943

Quote:
Well, one of the main reasons why a DE is better is because of the way the hairs are actually cut.  A DE tends to cut at a "flatter" angle, and cuts close to the skin surface cleanly.  A multiblade cartridge is designed to cut in stages, while "pulling" the hair (The famous "Lift & Cut").  what this does is a couple of things...yes, it shaves close, but in pulling the hair slightly, you are actually cutting below the skin surface, and the angle that the blade cuts at causes the hair to have more of a pointy edge (cuts at more of an angle).  Those two things combine to produce a hair tat lies below the skin surface, and that point actually causes the hair to "curl" as it regrows, so it grows under the skin. 

Another thing that contributes is bacteria...you didn't mention wether you use an aftershave or not, but when you've just shaved the surface skin gets scraped away and you are left with an unprotected layer of fresh skin.  Pores clog easier, and bacteria has an easier time getting into your pores, causing inflammation and irritation.  If you use an alcohol based aftershave or something with witch hazel it'll help close pores, kill surface bateria, seal nicks and scrapes, and help protect your skin in the crucial hours after shaving.

And ANOTHER thing you might want to consider is your pre-shave preparation...I shave after I shower, and the steam helps soften the beard and open up your pores, but I also lather up with a shaving cream and leave it on my face while I'm in the shower, and when I'm out I lather up with a badger brush.  The scrubbing and softening not only makes the hair easier to cut and helps free any "trapped" hairs, it also feels really good, lol.  Seriously though, the prep step will cut down immensely on hair pulling.

Thanks again for the advice.  It's been a long time since I've used aftershave - I never liked it.  The stuff the doctor had me use was some kind of aftershave though - but like I said, I never found it to make much of a difference.  Maybe today, since it's a whole lot better now than in the past.

The pulling thing is definitely why I have trouble with the multi-blade razors.  They never feel like they're cutting.

Not sure I could keep shaving cream on my neck when showering though...  Water always drips right down my neck there.

Anyway, I guess my eyes are being opened to the whole world of wet shaving and double edge razors - hopefully I'm able to find shaving nirvana there... or somewhere, at least.

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #244 of 943
Dec 26, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #245 of 943

New to DE shaving..bought myself a Feather AS-D1 and some DE blades and I'm very pleased with the shave! :)

Dec 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM Post #246 of 943
I currently use an early 50's flair tip superspeed from Gillette or a carbohydrates. I use a custom shavemac d01 silvertip badger brush with English creams mostly. Use a nice aftershave milk and Osage rub to finish it off.

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #247 of 943
Been a big fan of Feather. Got myself a Feather Artist Club DX Special in stainless steel holder and teak wood handle..this thing is real nice!

Feb 12, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #248 of 943
Gillette Superspeed with Derby blades.

Umpteen times better than modern multi-storey jobs.

Appeals to me because of the bomb-proof quality of the thing. It's made of Real Honest To God Metal Like They Don't Do Any More.The butterfly doors open smoothly with no slop, wear or backlash, and it looks literally as good as new.

No serial number, but it does have the hook to pull the blade out of the dispenser so that you don't Dexter all over the place, so that places it as manufactured 1948 to 1950.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #250 of 943
Holy crap, I wish I had known about all this years ago. I couldn't find my father's DE shaver nor cutthroat either.  I'm getting tired of using an electric and not liking the shave, or using a multi-blade and the pain in exchange for the smoothness.  I shall indeed check out Badger & Blade.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #251 of 943

Quote:
Holy crap, I wish I had known about all this years ago. I couldn't find my father's DE shaver nor cutthroat either.  I'm getting tired of using an electric and not liking the shave, or using a multi-blade and the pain in exchange for the smoothness.  I shall indeed check out Badger & Blade.

Give it a try :) I stumbled on a wetshaving thread here around 4-5 months ago and signed up at Badger & Blade and haven't looked back. I haven't posted there but just lurk and grabbed a good deal on a brush and a razor. I got a sample pack of blades and no longer need a bunch of them but will use them until I run out and just use feather blades whenever they all run out.

There's a bit of a learning curve from multi blade cartridges to DE but it's not too bad and plenty of videos on youtube by mantic showing you how to shave with a DE.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #252 of 943
They do have an awesome sticky thread with links to enough info to get one started. I read through the glossary and beginners' guide and I think as well as grabbing the kit, I shall have to ponder a similar intro and glossary for Head-Fi.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #253 of 943
I'm 18 here, being of light colored hair I shave every few days, usually just with water & a mach 3 after a hot shower, or with gel if i'm taking my time.

Dumb question: My skin rarely, if ever gets irritated by my Mach 3, shaving with the grain first, then against (because if i'm going to take the time to scrape the stubble off of my face, I want it to be freaking SMOOTH). If one were to switch to a DE razor, could a shave that close be acheived without going against the grain? Also: whats a good cheap razor/blade setup to start out with (forgoing brush and such for now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back