Shanling Q1 - Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Fi Music Player
Jun 11, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #556 of 584
You provided the M0 kernel sources, which was mildly helpful, but I still had to disassemble & decompile the real Q1 kernel after dumping it from onboard flash because of all the differences between the players. I know you said you simply provided what your engineers tell you is correct, but they are wrong. Offering "approximately the same" kernel sources doesn't comply with the GPL.
@amchronic you've done amazing work on Rockbox, considering the effort you had to make. Frankly, the Rockbox port is the only reason I own an Q1. MTouch is dreadful. I tested the latest version to see if it had improved, but some fundamental requirements are still missing. How did this device get to market with such abysmal playlist functionality? It's worse than some of the MP3 players I used up ~20 years ago. It should only require simple drag-and-drop of an m3u playlist, and MTouch should recognise the tags on each track. Instead, you have to import the playlist, and MTouch ignores tags and #EXTINF data. It only displays the filename. Awful,. And they're still using MTouch OS on new devices? WHY?

Aside from MTouch, he device is too heavy (eg for running with) so I'm looking for alternatives... If you can think of anything that Rockbox works well on, let me know.

Jun 11, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #557 of 584
@amchronic you've done amazing work on Rockbox, considering the effort you had to make. Frankly, the Rockbox port is the only reason I own an Q1. MTouch is dreadful. I tested the latest version to see if it had improved, but some fundamental requirements are still missing. How did this device get to market with such abysmal playlist functionality? It's worse than some of the MP3 players I used up ~20 years ago. It should only require simple drag-and-drop of an m3u playlist, and MTouch should recognise the tags on each track. Instead, you have to import the playlist, and MTouch ignores tags and #EXTINF data. It only displays the filename. Awful,. And they're still using MTouch OS on new devices? WHY?

Aside from MTouch, he device is too heavy (eg for running with) so I'm looking for alternatives... If you can think of anything that Rockbox works well on, let me know.

That's interesting. Where can I download this Rockbox firmware? TIA

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #559 of 584
Can songs marked as favorites be exported as a playlist file?

Sep 16, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #560 of 584
I love the q1 so much i bought 2. i would have thought the retro design would have kept this in the public eye for years, along side my retro looking satellite radio receiver and my retro looking blender. shanling really needs to make a version 2/ pro version of this, maybe a little lighter for us joggers and runners. maybe a new ui. it's really a wonderful device that impresses everyone i show it to. wow, 8 posts in 4 years...i talk too much

Sep 16, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #561 of 584
Well I still hate my Q1. Even with Rockbox, the device itself is just too heavy. Sure, it looks nice, but it's a lead weight. Anyone want it?

I just bought a HiBY R2 II, and it's better in every single way, except for sound quality, which is on a par (with my IEMs). The physical size isn't very different, almost the same but the HiBY is slimmer.

Why the HiBY is better:
  • It's lighter (70g vs 135g) so it's barely noticeable in your pocket. I can go jogging with the R2. My pants would fall down if I went running with the Q1.
  • It's cheaper.
  • The buttons require a sensible amount of pressure - it doesn't accidentally change tracks in your pocket.
  • It can import m3u playlists and display track tags. The Q1 only displays filename in imported playlists, which is just trash.
  • HiBY OS is miles better than the MTouch atrocity in too many ways to list. I'll just say, HiBY OS actually makes sense.
  • Battery life is better.
  • Bluetooth is more stable. I played it with my hifi and it played like a trooper for hours without a glitch
  • Streams from Tidal or Qobuz

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #562 of 584
Well I still hate my Q1. Even with Rockbox, the device itself is just too heavy. Sure, it looks nice, but it's a lead weight. Anyone want it?

I just bought a HiBY R2 II, and it's better in every single way, except for sound quality, which is on a par (with my IEMs). The physical size isn't very different, almost the same but the HiBY is slimmer.

Why the HiBY is better:
  • It's lighter (70g vs 135g) so it's barely noticeable in your pocket. I can go jogging with the R2. My pants would fall down if I went running with the Q1.
  • It's cheaper.
  • The buttons require a sensible amount of pressure - it doesn't accidentally change tracks in your pocket.
  • It can import m3u playlists and display track tags. The Q1 only displays filename in imported playlists, which is just trash.
  • HiBY OS is miles better than the MTouch atrocity in too many ways to list. I'll just say, HiBY OS actually makes sense.
  • Battery life is better.
  • Bluetooth is more stable. I played it with my hifi and it played like a trooper for hours without a glitch
  • Streams from Tidal or Qobuz
What color? How much? Can you reply to me @aol.com. Just put aginthelaw in front

Sep 16, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #564 of 584
That’s nice. I can give one of mine to my friend (they’re the same color). He listens for hours when we get together. We’ll meet the second week in October when we go camping.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #566 of 584
Hello! My Q1 has been freezing up for a while now. When this happens, I need to use the power button to restart the device. I replaced the msd with a new one to no avail. I also tried the FW update but it says the version is current. I have tried factory reset too. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #567 of 584
Hello! My Q1 has been freezing up for a while now. When this happens, I need to use the power button to restart the device. I replaced the msd with a new one to no avail. I also tried the FW update but it says the version is current. I have tried factory reset too. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Same issue appears not long time ago ((
I think - it's some hardware, because I hear some part inside is broken and moving, when I shaked it. It freezes, power off/on , turn off/on screen already.
I didn't try to fix this - just buy a Hiby R2 II - the same price or even cheaper - but the functionality and UI is better. The sound is also same, for me
Sad, that Shanling M1s has such a bigger price. And Shanling M0 Pro is too small.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #568 of 584
I think - it's some hardware, because I hear some part inside is broken and moving, when I shaked it. It freezes, power off/on , turn off/on screen already.
I didn't try to fix this - just buy a Hiby R2 II - the same price or even cheaper - but the functionality and UI is better. The sound is also same, for me
Sad, that Shanling M1s has such a bigger price. And Shanling M0 Pro is too small.
The same problem happened to me too. It's a pity that a player with such a good form factor and sound (for the price) is marred by qc issues

Nov 3, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #569 of 584
The same problem happened to me too. It's a pity that a player with such a good form factor and sound (for the price) is marred by qc issues
Agreed. And Shanling don't have any alternative for it - M0 hasn't any hardware buttons, only one wheel. M1s is another price. As I see - they didn't think about anything like Q1s or Pro in that style. Because it's really looks great and cute.
For example - cheap plastic of Hiby R2 II - not the same at all.

Nov 5, 2023 at 9:51 PM Post #570 of 584

If you have something moving inside, it can he loose shielding. It can result in the player shutting down or freezing.
Easiest fix would be to take the player apart and remove the loose shielding.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back