Shanling Q1 - Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Fi Music Player
Jan 28, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #421 of 584
Just got the Q1, does anyone has any idea which file systems are supported by the default firmware besides FAT? I'd like keep the original album name and unfortunately FAT doesn't support question mark or colon characters.
I replace colons and question marks with alternative characters that look like colons and question marks and keep the format as FAT. This is an extract of a Python program I use for renaming. Unfortunately the question mark is one of the least convincing replacements since it has a lot of white space after it (there is only a single character between the quotes in all cases. The angle brackets look better in most fonts than the one used here.

ord('/') : u'∕',
ord('|') : u'¦',
ord(':') : u'∶',
ord('\\') : u'∖',
ord('*') : u'∗',
ord('>') : u'›',
ord('<') : u'‹',
ord('"') : u'″',
ord('?') : u'?'

IMG_2094.jpg

Jan 29, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #422 of 584
Do those characters disappear when the files and folders with them are copied to the card? Or are they replaced by spaces? Someone else had this problem with apostrophes turning into spaces and I was able to confirm it on my Q1, and my M5s, too, for that matter.

I replace colons and question marks with alternative characters that look like colons and question marks and keep the format as FAT. This is an extract of a Python program I use for renaming. Unfortunately the question mark is one of the least convincing replacements since it has a lot of white space after it (there is only a single character between the quotes in all cases. The angle brackets look better in most fonts than the one used here.

ord('/') : u'∕',
ord('|') : u'¦',
ord(':') : u'∶',
ord('\\') : u'∖',
ord('*') : u'∗',
ord('>') : u'›',
ord('<') : u'‹',
ord('"') : u'″',
ord('?') : u'?'

They won't copy, so I have to manually put the renamed one to the card, the real issue was with rsync and name mismatch but I later found out about the --fuzzy flag so it's alright now. FAT's mtime is also imprecise so I had to rely on size only and it's not exactly fine, as file names with ? or : are still ignored by rsync.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #423 of 584
They won't copy, so I have to manually put the renamed one to the card, the real issue was with rsync and name mismatch but I later found out about the --fuzzy flag so it's alright now. FAT's mtime is also imprecise so I had to rely on size only and it's not exactly fine, as file names with ? or : are still ignored by rsync.
I'm using rsync as well like so:

rsync -rltv --size-only --exclude "@*" --exclude ".*" --del /BIGRED/AAC/ /Q1/

I didn't know about the fuzzy flag, but if I had it might have saved me from having to do all those renames :). OTOH my colons and question marks are syncing (because they aren't really colons or question marks).

Thanks for the info.

Jan 29, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #424 of 584
I read this thing can do gapless? I’ll be using wav not flac, hoping for no blips between tracks. If not, is there another dap around this size/price that can do it? I’m open to any suggestions on daps that can do gapless actually, as long as it’s relatively portable and not crazy expensive.

Jan 29, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #425 of 584
I read this thing can do gapless? I’ll be using wav not flac, hoping for no blips between tracks. If not, is there another dap around this size/price that can do it? I’m open to any suggestions on daps that can do gapless actually, as long as it’s relatively portable and not crazy expensive.
There is a gapless setting and it works as advertised for me. Transitioning from track-to-track has been absolutely fine.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #427 of 584
There is a gapless setting and it works as advertised for me. Transitioning from track-to-track has been absolutely fine.
Does this work with WAV too?

Other things (i.e. ReplayGain) do not seem to work with WAV. I think WAV is a fairly unusual use case for DAP's.

Also WAV is a container not a codec so it could contain things like PCM audio or even MP3.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #428 of 584
Does this work with WAV too?

Other things (i.e. ReplayGain) do not seem to work with WAV. I think WAV is a fairly unusual use case for DAP's.

Also WAV is a container not a codec so it could contain things like PCM audio or even MP3.
Well, wav is not the extension of any of my local files.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #430 of 584
Another question, can earphone mics control the volume on this player or is it one of those that cuts out a channel if it has a mic? Also bump again for if there any other smaller sized players that can do gapless.

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #431 of 584
Another question, can earphone mics control the volume on this player or is it one of those that cuts out a channel if it has a mic? Also bump again for if there any other smaller sized players that can do gapless.
This thing doesn't support remote playback controls on cables. I remember the HiBy R3 Pro could do that, but my unit no longer works correctly in other ways and has been shelved.

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #434 of 584
Do earphones that do have mics still play sound normally on the Q1?
Sure, the cable works fine. You'll encounter some people who will favor cables without mics because the presence of mics and playback controls have been accused of messing with channel matching. DAPs have to have special hardware to support remote playback controls on cables, and the Mtouch Shanlings, like the Q1, just don't have the hardware for it.

Feb 7, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #435 of 584
I posted here before Christmas looking for help replacing an iPod classic, and got some helpful feedback. I am happy to report that I now own a Q1!

I am really impressed so far! Really think Apple missed a trick not continuing to develop the iPod into something like the Q1. The UI really works well, it looks nice, I have found it easy to learn, the touchscreen is responsive and precise - scrolling through hundreds of items is a charm and there is no lag at all. Having seen how ugly and clunky the UI of some of the cheaper DAPs looked in youtube reviews I was really worried about this, but turns out Shanling have done a good job here.

Screen quality is great, loving how sharp the album art looks now.

Synchronising the Q1 with my MusicBee library went smoothly (I rec MusicBee highly if anyone cares. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I can't compare the sound quality with other DAPs, and I am certainly not going to win any audiophile of the year awards, but there is quite a clear difference in the crispness and clarity of the music on this device compared with my old iPod. Quite startled, I wasn't sure if I would notice any difference. (Using 320kbps MP3s.)

Thanks to everyone that replied to my first post. Even just knowing there is an active forum where users and the manufacturer post was a big comfort before buying.

PS I imported it into the UK from China using HiFiGo.com. I completely recommend them. Shipping was $10 and it arrived at my house 9 days after ordering; they handled whatever customs stuff needed to happen themselves. They are legit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back