Shanling Q1 - Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Fi Music Player
Dec 21, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #406 of 584
Rockbox has been ported on the Q1.
https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/ShanlingQ1Port

any rockbox fan willing to try out and make a little video? (I don't own this device but maybe in the future, i miss having a rockbox player)

it support a lot of exotic files formats, you can customize the UI to your liking, its very fast, has scrobbling support, perhaps the battery can last longer too. But it seems like the official firmware has dramatically improved since the release and the device is snappy now? Been looking at videos.

I posted that in July, but is worth repeating as it has gotten a lot better since. It is still a bit rough, especially because Rockbox is not greatly optimized for touchscreens. I recommend reading through the comments on the Q1 port on the Rockbox forum for some usability suggestions.

The biggest difference for me was to turn on 'absolute point' mode (instead of '3x3 grid') and making the scrollbar wider so you can use it to jump around in long lists like on the Shanling firmware.

The battery life is not noticeably better for me and the amount of charge left might be a bit erratic but I also have that with the Shanling firmware. It often can play on for quite a long time when it is already 'red'.

Installed it today. There's a lot to tinker with.

It looks like on your picture that you could use a theme as what you are seeing is what happens when it fails to load the theme. There are some available on the Rockbox site but unfortunately because of the resolution of the Q1 screen there are no existing themes that can be reused (like it sometimes is with other players).

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #407 of 584
I posted that in July, but is worth repeating as it has gotten a lot better since. It is still a bit rough, especially because Rockbox is not greatly optimized for touchscreens. I recommend reading through the comments on the Q1 port on the Rockbox forum for some usability suggestions.

The biggest difference for me was to turn on 'absolute point' mode (instead of '3x3 grid') and making the scrollbar wider so you can use it to jump around in long lists like on the Shanling firmware.

The battery life is not noticeably better for me and the amount of charge left might be a bit erratic but I also have that with the Shanling firmware. It often can play on for quite a long time when it is already 'red'.

It looks like on your picture that you could use a theme as what you are seeing is what happens when it fails to load the theme. There are some available on the Rockbox site but unfortunately because of the resolution of the Q1 screen there are no existing themes that can be reused (like it sometimes is with other players).
No, that IS my theme. I intentionally set up it that way, I removed all icons and all graphics because that's how I like it.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:10 AM Post #408 of 584
Hello, first, I wish you an happy new year from France !!
I just bought the Q1 to replace my iPod classic 160 GB. The sound of the Q1 is very good but its features and ergonomics disappoint me a lot. For example, how to delete a song while it is playing? How to easily transfer a song from one playlist to another? I also notice that switching from the now playing screen works very badly ... I hope that the next updates will be able to resolve this problem ...

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #409 of 584
I just bought the Q1 to replace my iPod classic 160 GB. The sound of the Q1 is very good but its features and ergonomics disappoint me a lot. For example, how to delete a song while it is playing? How to easily transfer a song from one playlist to another? I also notice that switching from the now playing screen works very badly ... I hope that the next updates will be able to resolve this problem ...

Hello from France Too. I buy it too, but after an iPod Classic with iTunes I can't use it, then I return Q1. It's a great player, but I can't use for too bad Human Machine Interface...
16 september I post a french coment (my alias is L.L.) : https://www.son-video.com/article/nomade-baladeurs-baladeurs-audiophiles/shanling/q1-turquoise/avis

Jan 5, 2022 at 9:39 AM Post #410 of 584
Hello from France Too. I buy it too, but after an iPod Classic with iTunes I can't use it, then I return Q1. It's a great player, but I can't use for too bad Human Machine Interface...
16 september I post a french coment (my alias is L.L.) : https://www.son-video.com/article/nomade-baladeurs-baladeurs-audiophiles/shanling/q1-turquoise/avis
Bonjour Richelieu, j'ai lu ton post sur Son-video. Concernant l'ipod, j'ai hésité a le faire modifier avec remplacement du DD (qui est mort pour le mien) par une carte SD avec + de place. C'est ce que tu avais fait ? Merci et à bientôt

Jan 5, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #412 of 584
Thanks for purchasing our Q1.

There is no way how to delete file from currently playing screen. It can be deleted while browsing the songs.
You can copy songs from one playlist to other easily. Just open the playlist, select which songs you want to copy and click on + icon to add it to new playlist.
Switching from now playing screen? You mean the swipe up to jump back to my menu?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 10, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #413 of 584
Anyone use the Q1 with a dongle?
How well does it work? Whats the battery like? Any drawback?
Thanks.
did you get any response yet or find the answer? I plan to use the apple dongle with this device. Basically, I want a setup that provides as best resolution as possible with BT and Transport Capability built-in. Surfans F20 seems to be another option and one more with a completely different workflow is NW A105, both of which are bulky. I want something like BTR5/3k/Q1 so that I can just clip to my vest and forget about it. Let me know if you have any more suggestions. Thank you.

Jan 26, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #414 of 584
did you get any response yet or find the answer? I plan to use the apple dongle with this device. Basically, I want a setup that provides as best resolution as possible with BT and Transport Capability built-in. Surfans F20 seems to be another option and one more with a completely different workflow is NW A105, both of which are bulky. I want something like BTR5/3k/Q1 so that I can just clip to my vest and forget about it. Let me know if you have any more suggestions. Thank you.
i remember seeing someone on this website having shanling Q1 + apple dongle in their signature. So it seems that it is possible. Sony is expensive imo but at least the hardware and software support is good. fiio is buggy, i read complains that bluetooth range is very bad. I've never heard of surfans, but it's always a gamble to buy unknown chineses DAP. Personally, I am really interested in is the lotoo pico. the hardware seems really high quality although it is limited in features and sort of expensive.

Jan 26, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #415 of 584
i remember seeing someone on this website having shanling Q1 + apple dongle in their signature. So it seems that it is possible. Sony is expensive imo but at least the hardware and software support is good. fiio is buggy, i read complains that bluetooth range is very bad. I've never heard of surfans, but it's always a gamble to buy unknown chineses DAP. Personally, I am really interested in is the lotoo pico. the hardware seems really high quality although it is limited in features and sort of expensive.
Got the Q1, it works with the dongle. Kinda bulky for a BT solution but it has its benefits. OMG, why does it have to be so heavy. Just give me a plastic shell dammit! And, please please please Shanling, make a bloody clip case already!!! Happy with the sound quality and features are Awesome!! Device looks cool too but misses the mark for the use case. OMG, those buttons are toooo sensitive. Fix this too Shanling.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #416 of 584
OMG, those buttons are toooo sensitive.

The solution Shanling has is to offer an option to lock the buttons. Then, you have to single or double click the power button/volume dial to consciously wake the device to then use the playback buttons, before locking the screen and buttons again. Look in the settings under System for "Buttons Lock," and play around with that.

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #417 of 584
The solution Shanling has is to offer an option to lock the buttons. Then, you have to single or double click the power button/volume dial to consciously wake the device to then use the playback buttons, before locking the screen and buttons again. Look in the settings under System for "Buttons Lock," and play around with that.
That sounds good, I'm worried it affects the longevity of the scroll wheel/button. I'll try it nevertheless.

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #418 of 584
That sounds good, I'm worried it affects the longevity of the scroll wheel/button. I'll try it nevertheless.
So far, my dial's been holding up. If there is one thing I don't like about other Shanling DAPs, it's the volume dial. But the Q1, fortunately, has the best one.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #420 of 584
Just got the Q1, does anyone has any idea which file systems are supported by the default firmware besides FAT? I'd like keep the original album name and unfortunately FAT doesn't support question mark or colon characters.
Do those characters disappear when the files and folders with them are copied to the card? Or are they replaced by spaces? Someone else had this problem with apostrophes turning into spaces and I was able to confirm it on my Q1, and my M5s, too, for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back