Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #5,431 of 5,808
The Monarch's original cable is terrible. I had them sharpened back then with the Satin Audio Athena and Azla Xelastec. But with the DX320. And as you know, after the first software update, I didn't find the iBasso's sound signature any good at all. In my opinion, iBasso ruined the sound with that. Even after the 3rd or even 4th update, the sound was never the same as it was with the original software. I will listen to the Monarch again with the M8. 😂😂😂
Ive heard the dx320 with the latest fw and i liked it a lot better than before. Its more organic and musical, with better bass extension. But it still sounded bit too intensive in mids. The M8 was more liquid and velvety. My friend said that my combo- The M8+ the Monarchs sounds like his speakers with the r2r dac he had a couple month ago. Very analog, smooth, natural and warmish. Hes not a fan of such sound, he prefers the dx320 paired with the Mest 1 and 2 but he confirmed that my combo is more natural and true to life. Also more punchy, analog and mature.

Jan 12, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #5,432 of 5,808
Today i compared the M8 to the IFI Diablo and i liked the M8 more. The M8 was slightly more detailed but what mostly jumped to me ears was how more analog and pleasant the M8 was. The soundstage was similar (maybe slightly more 3D on the M8) but the complexity of a warmish timbre was way better on the M8. Diablo sounded too clinical and dry. Even the bass was slightly more controled and deeper on the M8. Also the mids were less intensive on the M8. Damn this dap never stops to surprise me.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #5,433 of 5,808
Guys what filters do you use with the M8? My fav where Short delay Slow Roll-Off and Low Dispersion Short Delay (this one is very mellow and musical).
But yesterday i tried Sharp Roll-Off and damn.. The separation, air, bass depth, kick and controll and overall dynamics have jumped to another level. This is the filter which gives me the most WOW factor and fun.

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #5,437 of 5,808
Guys what filters do you use with the M8? My fav where Short delay Slow Roll-Off and Low Dispersion Short Delay (this one is very mellow and musical).
But yesterday i tried Sharp Roll-Off and damn.. The separation, air, bass depth, kick and controll and overall dynamics have jumped to another level. This is the filter which gives me the most WOW factor and fun.
Short delay slow roll-off is preferred in the tuning of our players.
I personally like the Sharp roll-off more.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 22, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #5,441 of 5,808
Hello again everyone, I am just checking to see if anyone knows where to get a replacement battery for the M8 in the United States. Thanks.
I'm goikng through the same thing. Shanling directed me towards linsoul.com but they said no way to ship battery. They are going to try a different carrier after the Chinese holiday. I'll let you know if I have any success.

Jan 23, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #5,442 of 5,808
Short delay slow roll-off is preferred in the tuning of our players.
I personally like the Sharp roll-off more.
what difference do you hear with the short delay version of the filter? Do you know which filter reproduces the highest frequencies (eg 16 kHz) with minimal distortion? (According to the experience of measuring the shape of the sine wave of other players using motu m4 line in + ARTA in 24/192 mode, sharp filters show better results, unlike "short" filters.)

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #5,445 of 5,808
The problem with the RS8 is that is unfortunately not convenient using on the go because the jacks are at the bottom of the DAP if you put it in the pocket the cable will be up therefore the DAP is not in the right position…
Some manufacturers are aware of this problem some not at all…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back