Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 24, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #5,446 of 5,808
Will the Shanling software ever do gapless? most other players seem to be able to achieve it. I'm using the Shanling player because it does OTG - would sooner be using the Hiby player however it doesn't do OTG - unless I'm missing something?

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #5,447 of 5,808
Will the Shanling software ever do gapless? most other players seem to be able to achieve it. I'm using the Shanling player because it does OTG - would sooner be using the Hiby player however it doesn't do OTG - unless I'm missing something?
Also interested 👍

Another thing is cue files support improvements - I have a few DSD files which are not cut into tracks (and I was not able to figure out how to cut them); other players like Neutron have no issues with displaying track list correctly but this doesn’t work with Shanling software.

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #5,448 of 5,808
Surprised to be saying this, but may actually be looking to put my m8 up for sale soon 🤷. Have loved it, but I recently got a used Sony WM1Z, and combining that with a 512gb iPhone 13, I have full access to both my personal audio collection, and Apple Music hi-res....so, I'm still trying to decide if I'm gonna let it go. I have enjoyed it up to this point

Jan 27, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #5,449 of 5,808
Surprised to be saying this, but may actually be looking to put my m8 up for sale soon 🤷. Have loved it, but I recently got a used Sony WM1Z, and combining that with a 512gb iPhone 13, I have full access to both my personal audio collection, and Apple Music hi-res....so, I'm still trying to decide if I'm gonna let it go. I have enjoyed it up to this point
You can also connect M8 to your iPhone so that won't count as an excuse 😉

Jan 27, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #5,452 of 5,808
You can also connect M8 to your iPhone so that won't count as an excuse 😉
Lol, what I mean is that wm1z has no wifi or streaming service, but I have cable to use it as DAC for iPhone with hi-res flac from Apple music, so it now covers everything I get with the m8. Similar sound but 1Z just does it better, making sense as a $3k DAP. It only lacks in power output, but my highest impedance headphone is 64ohm, so I'm ok for now. Again, I've loved the m8, but moving it on would make room for something else, seeing as it won't be used much if at all. For the record, the m8 is what made me want to get a Sony WM1Z. So thank you Shanling for that wonderfully musical sound production

Jan 28, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #5,453 of 5,808
Lol, what I mean is that wm1z has no wifi or streaming service, but I have cable to use it as DAC for iPhone with hi-res flac from Apple music, so it now covers everything I get with the m8. Similar sound but 1Z just does it better, making sense as a $3k DAP. It only lacks in power output, but my highest impedance headphone is 64ohm, so I'm ok for now. Again, I've loved the m8, but moving it on would make room for something else, seeing as it won't be used much if at all. For the record, the m8 is what made me want to get a Sony WM1Z. So thank you Shanling for that wonderfully musical sound production
Enjoy your Sony.
After trying many other sources including desktop gear up to 1k I might return to M8 soon as all I was looking for is the M8 sound which I could not get.
TOTL R2R like Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE and my Ferrum stack is the only expensive alternative for me but too much for bedside / mobile use.
I get though what you mean with your Sony.
It's the only brand I haven't tried myself.
Will demo some Sony M2 and Hiby RS8 in a local Headfier meeting in 4 weeks

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #5,454 of 5,808
Interesting swap, going from the Shanling to the Sony. Hard to go wrong with either DAP - they are both world-class. I am pretty sure that I could not pick a favorite blindfolded with most 'phones! But one reason I prefer my M8 over my old Calyx M, LG V30, and anything else I have tried is the AMPLIFICATION. Having almost 1W at 32 ohms means I can do THIS - play my modded K702s balanced when I am alone, or, like Rigatio, enjoy the sublime but power-hungry Monarch Mkii IEMs without bothering anyone. The M8 is just so flexible....

Attachments

• 20230128_135127.JPG
    20230128_135127.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 1, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #5,455 of 5,808
Can anyone tell me where to order a replacement battery for the M8 in the United States? Thank you.

Linsoul is our partner for replacement aprts: https://www.linsoul.com/blogs/announcements/shanling-audio-repair-services-at-linsoul-audio

If you purchased your M8 from Musicteck, they could also assist with this.

Gapless, we are still being promised it by the software team.

For USB audio output, it should be available for all music apps running on the player. If the HiBy refuses to do it, check their app settings.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 1, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #5,456 of 5,808
Linsoul is our partner for replacement aprts: https://www.linsoul.com/blogs/announcements/shanling-audio-repair-services-at-linsoul-audio

If you purchased your M8 from Musicteck, they could also assist with this.

Gapless, we are still being promised it by the software team.

For USB audio output, it should be available for all music apps running on the player. If the HiBy refuses to do it, check their app settings.
Thanks for the response, the Shanling player (App) sees an attached 1TB card but the HiBy (App) doesn't "see it" so no HiBy OTG.

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #5,457 of 5,808
Does the m8 have latency with usb mode on computers ? (for music, calls, movies, gaming). Whether in wired or blutooth/wifi modes ?

Feb 7, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #5,458 of 5,808
Hi,

Sorry if I sound lazy. But reading 364 pages is a little ttoo much for me.
I would have a question about this device that is quite interesting.

I see it is fitted with an USB-C port.

Has anyone tried to connect an USB-C to Ethernet adpatater to this device ?
If so, does it recognize the adapter and thus can it connect to the network wired and not only wireless ?

If it would do so I would try to get one used as soon as I can.

Thanks for your answers.

Regards.

Feb 8, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #5,459 of 5,808
Does the m8 have latency with usb mode on computers ? (for music, calls, movies, gaming). Whether in wired or blutooth/wifi modes ?
Retested the M8 tonight to my desktop and I do not notice any latency issues with music, movies and games (Cod Warzone2).

I A/B tested music using Hq Player upsampling to 512 DSD vs Ares 2 dac and Soloist 3x
The sound signature is quite similar - clean, warm and analog.
Quite impressive for such a small device.

The M8 does have issues (overheating, no pure DAC mode with hook with a headphone amp), but they are not dealbreakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back