Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 1, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #5,476 of 5,824
Hope it will be as compete as was the M8 regarding price and sound quality, and not like the M9 much too expansive comparing to the small gap between the M8.
Hi,

You have probably high hopes :frowning2:

If I consider the price increase of latest Shanling devices, I am afraid this will be out of budget...

What would be a real flagship ? What will reality look like ?

SoC :
- Flagship should be at least something similar to Snapdragon 7xx series
- Reality will be SoC from the 4xx series or, at best, the 6xx series. The M30 sports a SD 430 SoC and is sold for 3600€ !!!!!!!

DAC
- flasgship should carry AK4497 at least, even 4499 for real flagship ;
- Reality will probably be a AK4493 like in the EA5 or at best the AK4495 : the M30 has AKM4497 !

DISPLAY
- flaship should have 6.2" display with at least 1080p
- reality : we'll have a 6" display with 800X480 resolution... OK, the M6 ultra offers Full HD resolution but 5".

OS
- flagship should have at least Android 12
- reality : we will have Android 7.1 like on other players from the latest series or if we're lucky Android 10 like on M6 Ultra

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE
- flagship should allow installation of all app from Google Play Store
- reality : who knows ? But on the EM5 no third party software can be installed "because we're focusing on sounf quality"...

OTHER FEATURES
- flagship : ability to use Ethernet OTG adapters
- reality : what are you talking about ? Does that even exist ?

FAIR PRICE :
- flagship with all feature : 1700€
- reality : no real flagship and 2400€

These are of course wild guesses... from bad experience with DAP from all brands.

Regards.

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #5,477 of 5,824
Hi,

You have probably high hopes :frowning2:

If I consider the price increase of latest Shanling devices, I am afraid this will be out of budget...

What would be a real flagship ? What will reality look like ?

SoC :
- Flagship should be at least something similar to Snapdragon 7xx series
- Reality will be SoC from the 4xx series or, at best, the 6xx series. The M30 sports a SD 430 SoC and is sold for 3600€ !!!!!!!

DAC
- flasgship should carry AK4497 at least, even 4499 for real flagship ;
- Reality will probably be a AK4493 like in the EA5 or at best the AK4495 : the M30 has AKM4497 !

DISPLAY
- flaship should have 6.2" display with at least 1080p
- reality : we'll have a 6" display with 800X480 resolution... OK, the M6 ultra offers Full HD resolution but 5".

OS
- flagship should have at least Android 12
- reality : we will have Android 7.1 like on other players from the latest series or if we're lucky Android 10 like on M6 Ultra

THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE
- flagship should allow installation of all app from Google Play Store
- reality : who knows ? But on the EM5 no third party software can be installed "because we're focusing on sounf quality"...

OTHER FEATURES
- flagship : ability to use Ethernet OTG adapters
- reality : what are you talking about ? Does that even exist ?

FAIR PRICE :
- flagship with all feature : 1700€
- reality : no real flagship and 2400€

These are of course wild guesses... from bad experience with DAP from all brands.

Regards.

Hi, I'm not sure why you comparing M30/EM5 to the upcoming new M9. It's based on the ooriginal M9, you can look up its specification on our site: https://en.shanling.com/product/412

I can confirm it will be running AKM AK4499EX.

If you need Ethernet input, you can add that over USB to Android devices.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 2, 2023 at 4:11 AM Post #5,478 of 5,824
Hi, I'm not sure why you comparing M30/EM5 to the upcoming new M9. It's based on the ooriginal M9, you can look up its specification on our site: https://en.shanling.com/product/412

I can confirm it will be running AKM AK4499EX.

If you need Ethernet input, you can add that over USB to Android devices.

Hi,

As I said, only wild guesses.
And of course, some bitterness because of frequent disapointments due to promises made and not held.

AK4499 is good news :wink:
But also promises for high price... But that is another story.

About the last part : can you be a little more explicit ?
Are you saying that Android powered DAPs can use a USB to Ethernet adapter to use wired connection instead of wireless connection to network ?
That would be great news...
But would be in total contradiction with my own experience.
In fact, so far, NO DAP was able to use a USB to Ethernet adapter.
So I'd gladly take a link to an adpater that is known to work for sure with a Shanling DAP.

Regards.

FRED

Mar 2, 2023 at 4:30 AM Post #5,480 of 5,824
The main problem is not only the price but the sound quality gap between a M8 at a reasonable compete price and any new flagship with a big price difference, and this gap did not convince many M8 owner with the M9, hope the next one will have a much larger gap especially if it will be even more expansive...
According to that Cayin understood well the market offering the N7 much cheaper than the N8ii but with a very closed sound quality from their flagship and for sure being aware that many people cannot afford any more to purchase such so expansive DAP over $ 3K.

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #5,482 of 5,824
The new M9- i expect 3200+ dol. No mercy :)
Hi,

I would not been surprised if that was the price tag indeed.

It looks like there is a quest for the most expensive device.
Maybe people do believe that "Expensive" means "Better".

Me, I am now old and my ears aren't that good enough.
So a priceless device, even if better, would not be make a difference.

And, as it has been pointed in the previous post, a huge price difference should transform into a huge sound improvement.
Not only one that is mesurable.
But one that is audible.
As I said, I would probably not be able to tell a 3k+ device apart from a 300 dollars device :frowning2:

Mar 2, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #5,486 of 5,824
Hi,

Had an iopportunity to get one used for 800€.
If I was sure that this supports an OTG USB to Ethernet adapter, I would have taken it immediatly.

So at home it could be used as a streamer and when I'm on the move, it could be used as a DAP :)

But it seems that the M8 can not be used with a wired connection even using an adapter.
So that made the move difficult...

That is why I was interested in the answer made a little earlier by Shanling.

Mar 2, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #5,489 of 5,824
You are right. I heard the M9. But the sound from M8 was for me better. M9 is for the price not interesting.
Thats true. The M8 set the bar very very high, especially for its price. I would take the M8 over the M9 every time. The M8 sounds more analog and natural on top. The M9 was great but the treble extension was slightly too bright and it sounded slightly more digital when compared with the M8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back