Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Sep 2, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #5,026 of 5,817
You need to have headphones plugged in, otherwise the amp will no be in use (i guess).
With the charger, you can use whatever you want, the dap will draw as much power as it can, not more. I use 65w Anker charger and it works. But it will not be super fast in charging as the battery has 7000 mAh
Thank you for your reply! By the way, I saw your posts in the AK Kann Max thread :hand_splayed:. I didn't buy the Kann Max because its tops sounded TOO harsh to me. However, the M8 seems to me a little flattened at the top, sometimes like a bit too much ... Maybe this will disappear with burn-in. I saw that you had an M9. Does it have too bright high frequencies compared to the M8? How much better does the M9 sound overall?

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #5,027 of 5,817
Thank you for your reply! By the way, I saw your posts in the AK Kann Max thread :hand_splayed:. I didn't buy the Kann Max because its tops sounded TOO harsh to me. However, the M8 seems to me a little flattened at the top, sometimes like a bit too much ... Maybe this will disappear with burn-in. I saw that you had an M9. Does it have too bright high frequencies compared to the M8? How much better does the M9 sound overall?
Yes the harshness on top on the Max was the reason why i returned it.
The M8 is quite polite on top thats true but it has quite well extended trebles, depends on the iems you use with it. It has very linear upper mids and i really like that because its safe with every iem i listen to it with- a matter of a preference here i think.
From memory: the M9 has slightly bigger stage but the M8 with proper iem has one of the biggest stages ive heard on any dap. Bigger than the Max for example and the Max has very wide stage. The M9 is very very smooth on top but also very extended. It give quite a satisfaction but for me it wasnt natural. Just too much and slightly too bright but never harsh. The M9 has maybe even more bombastic bass but also i had an impression that the bass was more etheral?
For me the M8 and the M9 are different sounding daps and arent comparable. The M8 is warm, lush, analogue, its like the Sony nw-wm1z.
The M9 is more reference, linear and brighter but very impressive technically.
I prefer the M8 personally because its completely different than any other dap on the market. It also reminds more of stationary rigs than daps. It has this kinf of slightly laid back, warmish and dynamic presentation.

Sep 3, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #5,029 of 5,817
Sep 3, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #5,030 of 5,817
Sep 3, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #5,031 of 5,817
Shanling M8 is out of stock and discontinue when I checked in official website. What will be the replacement of M8 ?
I ordered on aliexpress from a seller with good reviews. He probably has one or more left. Came new sealed. M9 is almost twice as expensive..=((
Yes the harshness on top on the Max was the reason why i returned it.
The M8 is quite polite on top thats true but it has quite well extended trebles, depends on the iems you use with it. It has very linear upper mids and i really like that because its safe with every iem i listen to it with- a matter of a preference here i think.
From memory: the M9 has slightly bigger stage but the M8 with proper iem has one of the biggest stages ive heard on any dap. Bigger than the Max for example and the Max has very wide stage. The M9 is very very smooth on top but also very extended. It give quite a satisfaction but for me it wasnt natural. Just too much and slightly too bright but never harsh. The M9 has maybe even more bombastic bass but also i had an impression that the bass was more etheral?
For me the M8 and the M9 are different sounding daps and arent comparable. The M8 is warm, lush, analogue, its like the Sony nw-wm1z.
The M9 is more reference, linear and brighter but very impressive technically.
I prefer the M8 personally because its completely different than any other dap on the market. It also reminds more of stationary rigs than daps. It has this kinf of slightly laid back, warmish and dynamic presentation.
Thank you very much! This is a very helpful post!!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #5,032 of 5,817
Hook X pairs beautifully with the M8. Great soundstage, more body in mids and the bass.. Deep, kicking hard with precision. Hard to believe they are 240 bucks.
Actually for 1200 euros we are able to get an ultimate setup- 1000e a used M8 + 240 the Hooks and most people would be very very happy.

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #5,033 of 5,817
I also bought a good used one because Rigatio was so impressed with the sound signature. Thanks for being the pioneer. Actually, I didn't really have the M8 on my list. I didn't like M7 at all. Much too bright for me. The M9 was good but I missed something. And yes, the price, you should think twice about it. M9 would not be an option for me because I could have stayed with the DX320 with amp EXN-S 44625. But I can say I love the sound of the M8. I bought it yesterday morning and was listening to the music until this morning at 5 am. For me the sound is perfect. Now I like the IT 07 a lot too. I actually wanted to sell it, but now I'm going to think twice about it. Next I will test the Oriolus Szalayi. @ szore like it, i will try the combination because i like the Oriolus Tuning !!

Attachments

• I Love it!!.jpeg
    I Love it!!.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 4, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #5,035 of 5,817
@ Rigatio and jp11801 Do you feel like me that you enjoy the music much more with the M 8 than with the DX 320? The music sounds so lively and of course not too warm, I think. And the micro details are just on the right level for me. It's just fun to listen to his music. Freddy Mercury somehow comes across as totally cool. everything sounds so beautiful full with the right bass foundation. I love it. On the other hand, the DX320 sounds just too flat. Somehow lifeless, yes it is very analytical but for my taste it is very boring compared to the M 8. M8 is super tuned and the dynamics are also very good for me. Everything just fits. I'm just talking about the sound. You can argue about the rest.:relaxed::relaxed::beerchug:

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #5,037 of 5,817
This month is my 2nd straight year using M8...Have no desire for anything else.

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #5,038 of 5,817
This month is my 2nd straight year using M8...Have no desire for anything else.
I can understand you completely. I personally have never heard such a fantastic sound from a DAP. Not even from the AK players who cost more than twice as much. OK. My last one was a bit older, an AK380. But no comparison to the M8.

Sep 4, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #5,039 of 5,817
I can understand you completely. I personally have never heard such a fantastic sound from a DAP. Not even from the AK players who cost more than twice as much. OK. My last one was a bit older, an AK380. But no comparison to the M8.
I stopped drinking the A&K cool-aid a long time ago. Plus there customer service is belegerent. Jason's cool, but beyond him forget it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back