Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Sep 4, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #5,041 of 5,824
I have exact impressions about the M8 and the dx320. The dx320 is phenomenal in detail and texture retrieval but it lacks depth to the sound and its bass was too light for my taste. It didnt have this solid bass foundation which is characteristic for stationary rigs. It shouted details to my face and it lacked the layering subtlety. It was very layered but the subtle presentation of the layers wasnt on a level of AK players ot the M8.
The M8 on the other hand really surprised me. I expected something good but not as good. From the first listen i thought it had a more intimate staging but after comparing it to the sp2kT, dx320, Kann Max, Fiio M11 Plus ESS, Fiio K9 Pro, it sounded the widest from them all (well maybe the K9 Pro sounded as wide but it had more clinical and digital vocals). It sounds like a stationary equipment, i even stopped comparing it to other daps. Even the guy from the audio shop was very impressed by it and he said that his the first to buy it from me.
Also it has a great bass kick, it never lacks the extension, even with iems which have bass on the lighter side. When i plug somethig more bass heavy, it reaches a hell level of bass, that i can feel in my chest.
I honestly dont think there is a better deal on the market right now- a used M8 for 1k euros is a steal. It just sounds right, musical, very dynamic and engaging. Also very smooth and warmish. This can be reduced with a brighter phones which makes this dap very universal for me.
Most daps can get too bright but this is not the case with the M8.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #5,042 of 5,824
I agree with you on all points. Also about the DX 320. It's a great player for someone who likes that sound signature. There's no doubt about that. But for me the M8 is also perfect. This is a real masterpiece. I'm listening to Phil Collins In the Air Tonight. That's kind of awesome. Hard to believe. Had I known how amazing the M8 sounds I would never have made a Hiby,DX300,DX320 and let alone an amp12 mod that cost me almost $800 Bought hoping to find my sound. I would say I'm a money burning machine. Now it's over. M8 and Basta:beerchug:

Sep 4, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #5,044 of 5,824
So if anything happened to the M8, broken and not repairable, lost or stolen I would buy a Shanling player again. But only if AK chips are implemented. But that's no longer a problem since AK started production again. Maybe an M8 II or Pro will come at some point. But it will probably also be more expensive.
Same here. I wouldnt take the M9 over the M8 because the M9 was too reference and bright for me but the continuation of the M8's sound signature in the next dap would be very welcomed by me.

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #5,046 of 5,824
I bought the M8 based on the reviews and made the right choice)

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #5,048 of 5,824
Sep 4, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #5,049 of 5,824
Anyone have issues with the shanling music app not listing songs in numerical order? Usbplayer pro is fine but the shanling app lists them and plays out of order. Most of my files are aiff

In album sorting or folder sorting? In which exact ways you have the track number formatted?

You can send me few files to check on if you wish.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 8, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #5,052 of 5,824
@German Expat in Vietnam if you want the sound on a warmer and even more organic side, you could try the Fiio lc-re pro cable with the IT07 paired with the M8. This cable has some of the wires covered with gold.
The original silver cable sounds bit pale, flatter and grayish. The Fiio cable gives a beautiful depth to the sound. The bass depth increases and the staging becomes very atmospheric.
It's a feeling of being in a very black space and the sounds pop out out of sudden from different directions.
It's more of the feeling of being in a big auditorium than listening to speakers.
I also encourage all of you, who have the M8 to listen in turbo gain as the soundstage and dynamics definitely improve.

Attachments

• 20220908_170009.jpg
    20220908_170009.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 8, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #5,054 of 5,824
Good tip -- I hadn't tried it. Way more oomph.
The M8 has a very black background. Even with quite sensitive iems- 110db, the background blackness reminds me of the ak sp1k, sp2k. Its like a black hole, where the sounds just jump out of the blackness and hit with intensiveness. A very atmospheric experience with a very holographic presentation.

Sep 8, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #5,055 of 5,824
Guys the M8 is something else when it comes to the separation.
I know this this song soo well but it's the first time I hear the vocals sooo separated from the background instruments. They played on a completely different level. They are clean and precise but don't get any mid bass boost. Just WOW!!

Attachments

• 20220909_000736.jpg
    20220909_000736.jpg
    943.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back