Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Sep 8, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #5,056 of 5,824
@German Expat in Vietnam if you want the sound on a warmer and even more organic side, you could try the Fiio lc-re pro cable with the IT07 paired with the M8. This cable has some of the wires covered with gold.
The original silver cable sounds bit pale, flatter and grayish. The Fiio cable gives a beautiful depth to the sound. The bass depth increases and the staging becomes very atmospheric.
It's a feeling of being in a very black space and the sounds pop out out of sudden from different directions.
It's more of the feeling of being in a big auditorium than listening to speakers.
I also encourage all of you, who have the M8 to listen in turbo gain as the soundstage and dynamics definitely improve.
Thanks Rigatio but I had the Fiio cable. But the predecessor. That was also silver gold copper. I didn't like that at all with the IT07 and the DX 300 as it emphasized the upper mids even more. Then sold it.
I've been using Turbo Gain since day one. But only if the M8 is not in a trouser pocket or shoulder bag. Then it gets really hot and turns itself off. It continues to play the track but there is no sound. It then takes a few minutes for it to cool down, then the sound is back. But only for a short time, because it gets hot again. So I only use the turbo gain when the M8 is lying open on a table. Otherwise, I love the M8 more every day. That's my sound entirely.

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #5,057 of 5,824
The M8 has a very black background. Even with quite sensitive iems- 110db, the background blackness reminds me of the ak sp1k, sp2k. Its like a black hole, where the sounds just jump out of the blackness and hit with intensiveness. A very atmospheric experience with a very holographic presentation.
I fully agree with you. I'm getting to know my entire music library anew. And it's such fun to listen to for hours with the M8. Simply bombastic. With the DX 320 I didn't feel like listening anymore after a maximum of 2 hours. But it's starting to feel the same way for others like DAP Power.

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #5,058 of 5,824
I fully agree with you. I'm getting to know my entire music library anew. And it's such fun to listen to for hours with the M8. Simply bombastic. With the DX 320 I didn't feel like listening anymore after a maximum of 2 hours. But it's starting to feel the same way for others like DAP Power.
I had the same with the dx320. It was amazing for a couple songs, then it started being annoying and aggressive.
The M8 is all about the music and the atmosphere- the most important things for me when listen to the music.

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #5,059 of 5,824
@German Expat in Vietnam if you want the sound on a warmer and even more organic side, you could try the Fiio lc-re pro cable with the IT07 paired with the M8. This cable has some of the wires covered with gold.
The original silver cable sounds bit pale, flatter and grayish. The Fiio cable gives a beautiful depth to the sound. The bass depth increases and the staging becomes very atmospheric.
It's a feeling of being in a very black space and the sounds pop out out of sudden from different directions.
It's more of the feeling of being in a big auditorium than listening to speakers.
I also encourage all of you, who have the M8 to listen in turbo gain as the soundstage and dynamics definitely improve.
Agree on the turbo gain setting. I do that for the M8, M9 and M30 and have never looked back. :)

Sep 8, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #5,060 of 5,824
I had the same with the dx320. It was amazing for a couple songs, then it started being annoying and aggressive.
The M8 is all about the music and the atmosphere- the most important things for me when listen to the music.
Yes Rigatio I know what you mean. I still have the DX 320 but it is in the box for sale. But I've found that it's not easy to sell. Apparently it's not that popular. The way I feel now with the M8, I will probably not buy an iBasso again. I don't like the iBasso house sound. It's crap to my ears. Luckily I can say what I think here without all the iBasso disciples wanting to attack me and stone and tar me. Most of the 320 threads are stupid to me. It's not allowed to say anything critical about iBasso

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #5,061 of 5,824
Yes Rigatio I know what you mean. I still have the DX 320 but it is in the box for sale. But I've found that it's not easy to sell. Apparently it's not that popular. The way I feel now with the M8, I will probably not buy an iBasso again. I don't like the iBasso house sound. It's crap to my ears. Luckily I can say what I think here without all the iBasso disciples wanting to attack me and stone and tar me. Most of the 320 threads are stupid to me. It's not allowed to say anything critical about iBasso
Can you briefly describe the differences you've noticed between the Ibasso house sound, and the Shanling house sound? I currently have the original M6 Pro, and am debating between the Ibasso DX300, Shanling M6 Ultra, and the Shanling M8. I feel that Shanling devices are extremely musical, at the same time concerned that I might find the DX300 a bit too reference, analytical, and dry. Big fan of the velvet like AKM presentation. Also, I'm curious how much of an upgrade the M8 is over the M6 Pro, specifically from a sound standpoint.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #5,062 of 5,824
Can you briefly describe the differences you've noticed between the Ibasso house sound, and the Shanling house sound? I currently have the original M6 Pro, and am debating between the Ibasso DX300, Shanling M6 Ultra, and the Shanling M8. I feel that Shanling devices are extremely musical, at the same time concerned that I might find the DX300 a bit too reference, analytical, and dry. Big fan of the velvet like AKM presentation. Also, I'm curious how much of an upgrade the M8 is over the M6 Pro, specifically from a sound standpoint.
I ve had the dx300, 312, 312EXN, 320, 323. I also had the Shanling M9.
IBassos daps are bit different. They are more forward sounding, especially in mids, vocals. They are very lively, especially the dx320. It's like listening to the music live. But.. they are lacking bass extension for me. Also their upper mids/lower trebles are pushed more to the face.
The Shanling M8 is way more relaxed in this area and it has more pronounced sub bass. It's a safer sounding dap and it's also on a more fun and engaging side of tuning. It's very dynamic, deep sounding and has a more sophisticated layering than IBasso players. For me it's a winner.
But if you like more linear and reference type of sound, you will be better off with the IBasso players.

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #5,063 of 5,824
Agree on the turbo gain setting. I do that for the M8, M9 and M30 and have never looked back. :)
Gets too shouty on turbo, unless I'm using my Szalayi...

Sep 12, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #5,065 of 5,824
For someone whose coming from IBasso, the M8 is never shouty:) I even dare to say that the M8 is slightly too polite in upper mids. But i love it!
lol, been using it for 23 months and 3 weeks...I love it too!

Sep 13, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #5,067 of 5,824
So first I have to say that the DX300 and DX320 are very good devices. But the sound tuning with the emphasized upper mids is animal on the balls. In addition, the iBassos sound rather flat in comparison. Kinda boring and annoying for me. I only speak for myself now. I just don't like the house sound. I very rarely listened to the iBasso at home. I didn't feel like it. Then, thanks Rigatio for the recommendation, I bought the M8 used. The best I could do. The bass in the middle and the velvety extended highs are really top class. Timbre, the vocals and all the macro and micro details it's just wonderful. Super musical and a bit analog sound. When I listen to the M 8, I immediately start tapping my feet and want to get up and dance, no, preferably singing out loud. The sound is so brilliantly musical and full of emotions. Fantastic!! With the M8, you don't need to think about any expensive mods or other amp cards like the DX300/320. The sound is perfect as it is. At least for my ears and taste. I also thought about the M6 Ultra. Shanling told me that the sound of the M6 goes in the direction of the M8 but the sound is a bit inferior to the M8. I'm still waiting for more information on the M6 Ultra as I'm considering buying it for on the go while running. But I will never let go of the M8 again. This is my home device. Yes, I like to listen to the M8 at home for a few hours every evening !!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sweat_smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 15, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #5,068 of 5,824
Damn i didn't expect the M8 being such a reference player. It's fun for sure but it's not just an easy listening. The sound is never simple. The tuning is very sophisticated and varied. I feel like i can really dig into the song.
The rythm, the balance between hights and the lows, the beautifly painted soundstage.. damn

Sep 15, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #5,069 of 5,824
Damn i didn't expect the M8 being such a reference player. It's fun for sure but it's not just an easy listening. The sound is never simple. The tuning is very sophisticated and varied. I feel like i can really dig into the song.
The rythm, the balance between hights and the lows, the beautifly painted soundstage.. damn
what headphones do you use when listening to m8?

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #5,070 of 5,824
Yes, I feel the same way. The M 8 is simply fantastic. Which of your IEMs are your favorites with the M8? I love the M8 more every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back