Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 24, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #4,921 of 5,808
Hello I was wondering if anyone in this thread could do me a favor-- I would love a copy of that wallpaper image that comes with the M8 that shows the two DAC chips inside it. If someone could share it here I would very much appreciate it...cheers!
Sorry @Rockwell75 , I'm not able to access the internal file system/directory like other Android devices. Perhaps @Shanling could help us out?

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:11 PM Post #4,922 of 5,808
Yeah it's weird-- you would think you could access it when you plug it in to your computer...but I don't know where to find the wallpaper files in the root directory on Android devices.

Edit: Thank-you for trying :)

Mar 24, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #4,923 of 5,808
The other option is I could use the screenshot feature and then send you that. I've only ever taken a screenshot by accident (on accident(?), I've heard it both ways) so I'll have to figure out how to do that.

~edit - Just realized that won't work since the icons are on the bottom so it wouldn't be a "clean" image of the wallpaper.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #4,924 of 5,808
Hi Guys,
Anyone tried firmware 1.61 ? I am having issue after upgrade.

When either scroll the song or skip to the next song - either shanling music app or streaming Apple app.

There is a pop sound follow by silence but you can still see the music progress bar still playing.

I worry the pop sound kills my IEM. It won't help even when I turn the volume to 0..

In order to play song normal again, I either need to kill the app or scroll song or skip songs.

That is very annoying.

=====
update -- look like it is heat issue.. I listen the music player for 1 hour plus none stop with the sleeve on..
After let the player cool down, then play again.. The above mentioned issue seems not happening.
Will do more test and report.
=====
Update 2 - Issue still happen but less often now compare when the player still hot. Not sure what cause it.
=====

anyone know how to downgrade to older firmware version ?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #4,925 of 5,808
^I wonder if that maybe also be caused by the output connector or one of the inter-changeable sockets, instead of a software glitch.

Ever since I installed 1.61 my player has been free of glitches, at least, for now; as I've had several skipping issues before this update.

Mar 28, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #4,926 of 5,808
Hi Guys,

When either scroll the song or skip to the next song - either shanling music app or streaming Apple app.

There is a pop sound follow by silence but you can still see the music progress bar still playing.

I worry the pop sound kills my IEM. It won't help even when I turn the volume to 0..

In order to play song normal again, I either need to kill the app or scroll song or skip songs.

That is very annoying.

=====
update -- look like it is heat issue.. I listen the music player for 1 hour plus none stop with the sleeve on..
After let the player cool down, then play again.. The above mentioned issue seems not happening.
=====
Update 2 - Issue still happen but less often now compare when the player still hot. Not sure what cause it.
=====

Before running to firmware downgrade, I would recommend to do factory reset and test it out just with the Shanling Music app.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 28, 2022 at 8:11 AM Post #4,927 of 5,808
Hi Guys,

That is very annoying.

=====
=====
=====

This is a far too common occurrence for me as well, mostly with the Shanling player, but sometimes (rarely) with UAPP, which is what I use exclusively now to avoid the problem for the most part. It's quite disappointing.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #4,928 of 5,808
Hi, I'm having an issue, actually issues with my M8. I use it almost exclusively in my car with a very high end Mosconi/ Focal system. Whenever I restart the player after it goes to sleep or shuts down, the volume is back to 50%. The control is not very linear and I have to twist the knob dozens and dozens of times to get back to 100% output, which I need to get satisfactory output through my system. Both Bluetooth and line out. I know there is a setting to have the M8 restart at 100%, but it doesn't help.
Snce I posted the above, I went back to my car and noticed the M8 on the floor of my car, but the back of the unit still connected to the magnet mount! I see a wire that is attached to the back cover and came apart from the player. I'm not sure if it is for heat dissapation or grounding, but now the player still has the volume issue but will not move from 50%. I also cannot get it to go in car mode. I have no idea where the end of that wire is supposed to be attached. I'm sure this is something most everyone has not experienced, is there a service center for these players in the U.S.?

Mar 31, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #4,929 of 5,808
This is a far too common occurrence for me as well, mostly with the Shanling player, but sometimes (rarely) with UAPP, which is what I use exclusively now to avoid the problem for the most part. It's quite disappointing.
Yes! Me too! It happened again today! I notice it happens a lot when the player gets really hot (like whem I have it in my inside coat pocket), but today my player was not hot at all and it happened again. I'm talking about the popping noise then no volume.

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #4,930 of 5,808
Hi, I'm having an issue, actually issues with my M8. I use it almost exclusively in my car with a very high end Mosconi/ Focal system. Whenever I restart the player after it goes to sleep or shuts down, the volume is back to 50%. The control is not very linear and I have to twist the knob dozens and dozens of times to get back to 100% output, which I need to get satisfactory output through my system. Both Bluetooth and line out. I know there is a setting to have the M8 restart at 100%, but it doesn't help.
Snce I posted the above, I went back to my car and noticed the M8 on the floor of my car, but the back of the unit still connected to the magnet mount! I see a wire that is attached to the back cover and came apart from the player. I'm not sure if it is for heat dissapation or grounding, but now the player still has the volume issue but will not move from 50%. I also cannot get it to go in car mode. I have no idea where the end of that wire is supposed to be attached. I'm sure this is something most everyone has not experienced, is there a service center for these players in the U.S.?

That's first time I'm seeing such failure, but I think this is also first time I heard about somebody attaching their player by some magnetic clasp on its back panel.

We do not have service center in US, you would have to send it to our offices in China for repair.

Yes! Me too! It happened again today! I notice it happens a lot when the player gets really hot (like whem I have it in my inside coat pocket), but today my player was not hot at all and it happened again. I'm talking about the popping noise then no volume.

Checking on these reports.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 2, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #4,932 of 5,808
That's first time I'm seeing such failure, but I think this is also first time I heard about somebody attaching their player by some magnetic clasp on its back panel.

We do not have service center in US, you would have to send it to our offices in China for repair.

Checking on these reports.
The M8 has a car mode, and hi- definition bluetooth, as does the Mosconi DSP unit. So one could make the reasonable expectation that the M8 would be useful in a car setting. The sound was mostly excellent. However, It would make sense to mount the unit somewhere in the area of the driver (with a 1TB SD card, one would like to have the ability to easily change song material without looking away from the road.) In the hand, the M8 has a substantial feel with the metal sides, but that lightweight plastic back that is only a snap- in piece was poorly executed. Once the player gets a bit hot, the little plastic prongs heat up just enough to lose their rigidity, and the back pops off along with a wire which apparently has something to do with heat control as well. I tried using my M8 again and it got so hot I couldn't touch it and it seared a bit of the carbon fiber dash trim on my new M3. So now I have a $1700 paperweight and a permanent mark in my M3. I'm sure the extreme heat also did significant additional damage to the M8. Live and learn- Don't expect an expensive DSP that markets itself as "high end" to live up to expectations. However, I have since tried an A & K player with higher output, better upper end extension, and much more definition at the same price point.

Apr 5, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #4,933 of 5,808
The M8 has a car mode, and hi- definition bluetooth, as does the Mosconi DSP unit. So one could make the reasonable expectation that the M8 would be useful in a car setting. The sound was mostly excellent. However, It would make sense to mount the unit somewhere in the area of the driver (with a 1TB SD card, one would like to have the ability to easily change song material without looking away from the road.) In the hand, the M8 has a substantial feel with the metal sides, but that lightweight plastic back that is only a snap- in piece was poorly executed. Once the player gets a bit hot, the little plastic prongs heat up just enough to lose their rigidity, and the back pops off along with a wire which apparently has something to do with heat control as well. I tried using my M8 again and it got so hot I couldn't touch it and it seared a bit of the carbon fiber dash trim on my new M3. So now I have a $1700 paperweight and a permanent mark in my M3. I'm sure the extreme heat also did significant additional damage to the M8. Live and learn- Don't expect an expensive DSP that markets itself as "high end" to live up to expectations. However, I have since tried an A & K player with higher output, better upper end extension, and much more definition at the same price point.

I'm sorry to see you had such a bad experience with the M8. We do not face any issues with the back panels on our DAPs, but I can say that using them in car with mounting by suction cup on the back panel is not a standard user case, especially for such a heavy unit as a M8.

If you wish to send us your M8 for service, please contact me over PM or email for shipping details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back