Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Feb 26, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #2,206 of 5,808
Hello all

I just received my M8 today and have unboxed it, charged it up and installed Tidal

for some reason the volume wheel on the side is not turning up the volume????

I can power off the DAP using the volume/power button ok

When I turn the volume knob the volume indicator on the screen works just fine and shows the volume going up and down but the actual volume through the headphones is not being adjusted

Also I am unable to see the DAP when plugged into USB and computer. Nothing comes up on my Windows 10.

I know the computer is fine because I have other USB devices that I plug in and they are seen ok including other DAPS

Very weird problems and I'm starting to wonder if I received a lemon

I have confirmed that the device is running V1.22 so on the latest firmware

I have just swapped out the 4.4 Balanced module for the 3.5 SE and tried another set of headphones and the volume is now working.

Going to switch back to the 4.4 BAL module and try again. DAP gets powered off each time when swapping out modules.

Feb 26, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #2,207 of 5,808
I have confirmed that the device is running V1.22 so on the latest firmware

I have just swapped out the 4.4 Balanced module for the 3.5 SE and tried another set of headphones and the volume is now working.

Going to switch back to the 4.4 BAL module and try again. DAP gets powered off each time when swapping out modules.

Very strange. Now the 4.4 BAL module is working. Im sure i pushed it in all the way on the first attempt. Strange gremlins are a foot

I will now try and access the device plugging into the computer over USB

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,208 of 5,808
Very strange. Now the 4.4 BAL module is working. Im sure i pushed it in all the way on the first attempt. Strange gremlins are a foot

I will now try and access the device plugging into the computer over USB

Congrats!

If you haven't already, you need to install the USB driver, I believe 2.29 is the latest
https://en.shanling.com/download/69

Install, reboot, usual stuff... and then when you connect M8 with USB, it should recognize immediately and put M8 into USB DAC mode.

You can use the pull-down menu from the top of the screen to go back to storage mode.

Feb 26, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #2,209 of 5,808
ok all I can say is WOW. I am really really impressed with the sound of the M8 already compared to the DX300.

Say hello to my Mate known as M8

IMG_0234.jpg
IMG_0235.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0238.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,210 of 5,808
ok all I can say is WOW. I am really really impressed with the sound of the M8 already compared to the DX300.

Say hello to my Mate known as M8

IMG_0234.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0236.jpgIMG_0238.jpgIMG_0239.jpg
Good choice! Enjoy your new toy! Let her burn in for a good couple weeks as well. I recommend to pick your main Socket, and leave it there. Also before unplugging, hold the socket down so that you won’t pull out the socket

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,211 of 5,808
Yeah, E01 was pretty special for me and it was my favorite for most of 2020. I’d be curious what you think with Andro/MW10/Solaris whatever you have now. Noise floor seems really low. Yet, M8 can drive full size headphones pretty well too. Quite versatile.
Wondering wether these will fit to very low impedance IEMs like Andromeda Gold with 7Ohm.
I just tried some A&K SR25 with 1.6 Ohm and whole bass was gone.I have read somewhere that M8 is running with 2 Ohm balanced.
That would be definitely too high for such setups...

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2,212 of 5,808
Wondering wether these will fit to very low impedance IEMs like Andromeda Gold with 7Ohm.
I just tried some A&K SR25 with 1.6 Ohm and whole bass was gone.I have read somewhere that M8 is running with 2 Ohm balanced.
I think M8 is about similar 1.3-16 ohms impedance output in balanced. I can agree with you that while M8 is very good, it is also a little picky to what it is hooked up to. It is from my experiences, but I don’t have such Vast Arsenal to give specific inputs

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #2,213 of 5,808
That's seems inherent with balanced with most cases (with the ak sr25 being one of the lower impedance @1.6ohm). From memory, 3.5mm oi from the M8 is 1ohm or maybe even less.

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #2,217 of 5,808
Has anybody had issues connecting the DAP to a PC via the USB port and getting it to be recognised in windows?
Nope! Just dropped down me u and select options. Use stock cables for the best connections, some type C cables is a funny kind of cables and it won’t work for files transfer

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,218 of 5,808
Yesterday I have received the DX300 and the M8. I started the burnin as soon as possible and they now have some company :) I will hear how good they are in comparison to all my other portable players + hugo 2.

My first impressions were:

DX300 - holy ... this is huge; the screen is amazing, the ui snappy fast, and the operating speed while scanning my media is the best I have ever seen in an android device. So the installation of additional apps and media was quite fast in total and the burn in started about 15 minutes after i opened it.

M8 - oh my god, the installation of third party apps and the media scan is soooooo slow. it took about 4times as long as with the ibasso. So it took me about 70min before i could play my music. Besides that the only thing that popped out was the included heating^^. it gets painfull hot. This DAP is burning in my hands. Never experienced such level before.

It is still too early to judge the sound in total. But first thoughts were (coming from the Sony WM1Z as comparison) that the iBasso sounded much cleaner and a bit "shy" with good dynamics. (again coming from the Sony) Shanling is the first device that sounds really bad (to my ears) out of the box. I could not believe it. It reminded me somehow of the FiiO X5 III I have here. What a disappointment... at least out of the box.

Here is a pic of the transportable competition (if my time allows it, I will also compare the DACs with my Phonitor 2):

EDIT: the ibasso is a fingerprint magnet^^

Attachments

• IMG_2390.JPG
    IMG_2390.JPG
    889.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #2,219 of 5,808
That's seems inherent with balanced with most cases (with the ak sr25 being one of the lower impedance @1.6ohm). From memory, 3.5mm oi from the M8 is 1ohm or maybe even less.
Ibasso DAPs going all far below 1 ohm both balanced and unbalanced?
DX220 Max currently being the only High End DAP where my Andro Golds sound engaging and with good body and bass...

Feb 26, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #2,220 of 5,808
Ibasso DAPs going all far below 1 ohm both balanced and unbalanced?
DX220 Max currently being the only High End DAP where my Andro Golds sound engaging and with good body and bass...
Yes, DX300 has very low impedance out as well as MAX...I think it is even lower than MAX, but the Dx300 is more picky on the synergy and pairing than the MAX. It probably is the signatures of the Dx300 that makes it to be picky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back