Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 29, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #1,621 of 5,808
Sorry for bringing this up again but could one of you happy M8 users please do me a favor real quick and check if the Equalizer works also with other apps than the local player? E.g. by streaming a song in Spotify or the like and just slide the Eq to extreme levels and check if it changes the sound?

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #1,623 of 5,808
Sorry for bringing this up again but could one of you happy M8 users please do me a favor real quick and check if the Equalizer works also with other apps than the local player? E.g. by streaming a song in Spotify or the like and just slide the Eq to extreme levels and check if it changes the sound?
It would not. The M8 does not have a universal EQ (unless Spotify is integrated into the Shanling app?).

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,624 of 5,808
Having to use a direct competitor's app must be the ultimate slap in the face for the Shanling software team. :scream:

It's clear they paid a lot more attention to audio engineering than software engineering...which is fine by me. For reference it takes the Shanling app about 20 min to do a library scan...a job that takes the Hiby app about 5 minutes. The issue seems to be at least partly connected to inefficient file indexing...however I have hope that once they sort this out all will be well. None of this detracts much from my enjoyment of the player...which as far as sound is concerned is eminently satisfying.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #1,626 of 5,808
Hopefully as that's what's holding me off the M8. DAP's with Android and streaming services are simply more complex on the SW side and if it's not right they can be problematic. TBH many companies need to slowdown and get the SW development right before releasing to the public, or a least to a higher standard.

Q-6

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #1,627 of 5,808
Hopefully as that's what's holding me off the M8. DAP's with Android and streaming services are simply more complex on the SW side and if it's not right they can be problematic. TBH many companies need to slowdown and get the SW development right before releasing to the public, or a least to a higher standard.

Q-6
Yup. I hedged and bought m6pro. Fortunately I don’t stream but need gapless and smooth, user friendly interface. Shanling rep is very responsive, an encouraging sign

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #1,628 of 5,808
Yup. I hedged and bought m6pro. Fortunately I don’t stream but need gapless and smooth, user friendly interface. Shanling rep is very responsive, an encouraging sign
I think they will resolve in time as Shanling is very reputable. For me I have no rush as not sort on sources :)

Q-6

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #1,629 of 5,808
Even with the update I still much prefer the Hiby app overall.
In my case, it's Neutron. The only problem is that DSD playback is not native DSD.

Jan 29, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #1,630 of 5,808

There is no EQ in the system-wide audio settings...you have to EQ within whatever player you're using.

Jan 30, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #1,631 of 5,808
There is no EQ in the system-wide audio settings...you have to EQ within whatever player you're using.

Thank you for checking! That’s disappointing as I am EQ‘ing all of my headphones. Rules out the M8 for me, also.

I tried the R8 first which I found to be great because of the sheer power it delivers, the relatively fresh Android version and it has system-wide EQ that doesn’t work with Tidal MQA, though. And after first good impressions, I missed the option to EQ with parameters + it was either too shy in effect or it distorted. Moreover the R8 got too warm during normal use for my liking. Volume knob not my kind of thing. ebayed it after a couple days.

Then I tried the A&K SE200. I liked the concept of having a device that does nothing but music playing but they exaggerated a little bit as you can’t even install additional streaming services through the divice and have to „side load“ them through a PC. Not all versions worked for me, e.g. I had to use an 5 update iterations old Apple Music app. Ridiculous. Then it was pretty large and uncomfortable sharp on the edges so you have to use a case. System wide EQ is available but awkward to use. Wifi was bad from the first minute and died completely after 1h of usage or so. Device then unuseable, I returned it for a full refund.

I think my way to go will be my trusty and perfectly performing iPhone 11 Pro with a Qudelix 5k Dongle which gives me plenty power and the by far best EQ I have ever seen in a mobile device. Money saved for another pair of IEMs :)

I will miss the industrial design of a current DAP. But the later comes with too many sacrifices on the Software layer and still a high price.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, just had to write a little bit about my frustration on this journey :)

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,632 of 5,808
Has anyone tried the Campfire Solaris with the m8?

I am searching for a new DAP to replace my loved WM1Z because it’s too much hiss in this pairing.
I really want a black background in terms of can’t hearing the slightest hiss even when not playing music.

Jan 30, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #1,633 of 5,808

I am searching for a new DAP to replace my loved WM1Z because it’s too much hiss in this pairing.
I really want a black background in terms of can’t hearing the slightest hiss even when not playing music.
On a first note, do you buy DAP to just plug in and listen to the hiss ? Without music ? Just kidding!
On the second note, if Fortes doesnt hiss, I don’t think campfire will. But this needs someone who heard the combo to answers for sure

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,634 of 5,808

I'm getting my Solaris back on Monday and will be able to give you a "hiss report" then. I suspect it will be a wonderful pairing.

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,635 of 5,808
I think they will resolve in time as Shanling is very reputable. For me I have no rush as not sort on sources :)

Q-6
My sources are two—R5 & N3pro. M6pro arrives this week. I’m pretty sure m6pro sound will be contrast to R5, but N3pro dunno. N3pro compared m6pro or M8, I haven’t seen any reports. Power-wise, appears N3pro tops them all, plus it has 4 signatures, but battery life is too short between charges. Dunno. Just thinking out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back