Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Dec 30, 2020 at 8:01 AM Post #676 of 5,808
While there are a couple of haters toward A&K, I will say that their UI is the standard. Sound quality is very subjective, but the amount of polish that goes into A&K is obvious. I have had a few DAPs over the years, and have found the experience of the A&K UI the best. The R8 was not a bad UI, I had other issues with mine and ultimately had to return it.

That said, I told you guys if you say the SQ is that good I would buy one on the spot, well I did, it should be here by the weekend or Monday at the latest. Sad thing is I won't be here on Monday, so we pray for the weekend.

I have had the M15, R8 and have followed this hype train since its release. The hype is strong but we will see if it is deserved. There is only one more thread with more hype, the DX300, but it isnt released and the hype there is turning me off. Thus is Head-Fi....talking about issues and sound quality and what it can and can't do before it is even released.

Dec 30, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #677 of 5,808
IMO, the M8 has more fluidity, better cohesiveness, tonal balances, and soundstage. The AndroidOS has much better freedom than closed custom Android from SP2K. I do enjoy a wide range of different sound signatures, but I never really could adopt myself into AK signatures upto SP2K. It isn’t my cup of teas. We all have different preferences, so I just want to reaffirm that when someone is saying that M8 can compete with SP2k in term of performances, and I can second that

I also has a friend who is the sharing the same preferences as I do, and he said that lately AK has changed up a bit, the SE200 is with better tonal balances and fluidity. Unfortunately I can’t be wasting money all around as I used to....Covid 19 is horrible. I don’t see myself trying out this SE200 anytime soon

That friend of yours sound familiar! :dt880smile: Def gonna try the M8 soon and let you know my thoughts.

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #679 of 5,808
Yes Cayin isn't great either. $3500+ for the N8 was just laughable considering it has the processing power of a calculator. I understand companies are rushing stuff to market, but if you're going to make a modern flagship, make sure it's ready to go before pushing GO.

Pity the R8 doesn't work for you. I suspect you need a very warm source if that's the sound profile you enjoy and you're only using Noirs, which are not a warm IEM and will reveal every aspect of the source. You'll probably enjoy the R8 much more with an IEM that has less forward treble.

Hopefully Shanling will come good with the M8 software. The stronger the competition the better for everyone.

Hehe poor N8 it was a neet idea and great dap but they didnt pushed the software to a flagship level quiet a bummer.

As for the R8 vs M8 I find my self bored with R8 it has no musicality and soul. I feel like I am simply listening to music just to listen and being technical.
With M8 is more pleasant and it has some soul and musicality, I am enjoying my self more with it. Same was when I had my wm1z.
In fact I feel all nova days daps has super technicalities and does everything to a very high level. They just all sound different in tuning wise so pretty much you just need to pick the one that drives you the best.

I am not even convinced that ibasso dx300 will be my dap signature either as I know ibasso is more inclined to be like hiby, more reference more neutral... So maybe I should save ma money and buy the upcoming M30 as I now know shanling sound house and I like it. I liked cayin too but that thing has hiss and tuning is also too sharp in treble and amp a01 is just an underperforming module does not do it for me sorry. M8 feels like a flagship. Oh yea hehe I never tried fiio m15 I just heard it once at canjam Jude let me try hes M15 😛 hmmm Id say shanling feels more musical again 🙃🙂

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #680 of 5,808
Shanling Music app can display album art for ISO files, if it's as separate folder.jpg next to the ISO.
Reading all track info is missing for now, showing only track title, missing on album or artist tag.
Any idea how long this bug fix will take to be delivered as from my perspective it’s crucial? I can live with fixing the artwork.

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #683 of 5,808
Thank you

And spotify works 100% as offline and online. I did register my m8 with google store as shanling instructed me via a small guide page. Since then every app is all legit via google play

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #685 of 5,808
Hehe poor N8 it was a neet idea and great dap but they didnt pushed the software to a flagship level quiet a bummer.

As for the R8 vs M8 I find my self bored with R8 it has no musicality and soul. I feel like I am simply listening to music just to listfind my self bored with R8 it has no musicality and soul. I feel like I am simply listening to music just to listen and being technical.
With M8 is more pleasant and it has some soul and musicality, I am enjoying my self more with it. Same was when I had my wm1z.
In fact I feel all nova days daps has super technicalities and does everything to a very high level. They just all sound different in tuning wise so pretty much you just need to pick the one that drives you the best.

I am not even convinced that ibasso dx300 will be my dap signature either as I know ibasso is more inclined to be like hiby, more reference more neutral... So maybe I should save ma money and buy the upcoming M30 as I now know shanling sound house and I like it. I liked cayin too but that thing has hiss and tuning is also too sharp in treble and amp a01 is just an underperforming module does not do it for me sorry. M8 feels like a flagship. Oh yea hehe I never tried fiio m15 I just heard it once at canjam Jude let me try hes M15 😛 hmmm Id say shanling feels more musical again 🙃🙂

I had same impressions about DX220 Max vs M6 Pro... I felt Max a bit boring and not enjoyable as my Shanling... so I’m attracted by DX-300 and R6 but not sure I’ll enjoy them like a M6 Pro.. maybe M8 would be a better choice to me...🤔

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #686 of 5,808
Would the M8 be right for someone in their 60's with some loss of high frequency range and tinnitus? I'm a drummer and like to listen for the hi-hat and ride cymbal on jazz recordings as well as all the instruments. Thanks

Dec 30, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #687 of 5,808
I had same impressions about DX220 Max vs M6 Pro... I felt Max a bit boring and not enjoyable as my Shanling... so I’m attracted by DX-300 and R6 but not sure I’ll enjoy them like a M6 Pro.. maybe M8 would be a better choice to me...🤔
Here you don't even need to think and go to a fortune teller. Definitely M8!

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #688 of 5,808

I think M8 and new future M30 ibasso will be more reference and neutral side.
I am in the same boat and I am the guy who turned upside down the wm1z thread lmao I had that dap for 2 years! Still thinking of it he Id say if you love warmer, musical, fun then shanling, cayin and wm1z I see nothing else on the market to cover this segmemt.

Dec 30, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #689 of 5,808
I have a big question regarding burn in on m8. Since this a module swappable dap, does that mean we can do only 1 time burn in? Or each module has to be burned snd backed for 200hours each 🧐🤔

And the Se jack how does that differs from the balanced? It operates different components inside?

@Shanling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back