Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Dec 29, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #661 of 5,808
Please note that in the folder with the music, the cover file must be named "cover" or "folder", otherwise the cover will not be displayed if the file is named differently. For example, its title as an album title. You can also get cover and text online in shanling branded app.

Thanks for the heads-up that is different from 1z, I have renamed all my progressive jpegs to the album folder name as it was the only way to make 1z read album arts... Now need to redo it all ovee again, sight and facepalm. I dont blame shanling for this but dang it.

I am experiencing similar work to do with the playlists, need to rename the extension to .m3u and all the logs inside the file has to be corrected so the M8 can understand where is the file located.

You are preferring this to the R8?

I think its unfortunate for R8 as its one so well built dap and such a fast ui. But man huge hiss, volume knob suffers inaccuracies, and sound signature is on the thin analytical side with a sharp treble. I dont understand that no body hears that the R8 gets brighter and less dense/warm after 500hours. Personally I found R8 nor musical and too neutral border reference signature.

M8 is more in the league of sound like wm1z, zx507, n6 ii and cayin n8. M8 has its own territory in terms of signature and it does not sound a like any other warm daps. It has the shanling signature.
Cant dare saying its better then wm1z as I find it has a different sound phylosophie. It does do musicality and fun factor very well, not losing the technicalities either. Treble on M8 is very special, its not sharp nor too low but it hits you with gentle sparkle that you do feel energy in it tought its like a warmish treble sparkle rather R8 is a cold slashing strike.

Everyone knows I love warm sound signature.

I hate how this player heats up when in use .. my only complaint at the moment .

Haha dont touch the cayin daps they will burn a hole on your leg and fry your fingers. I mean it! N6ii gets sooo hot you cant touch!

Trusta me M8 is very good not that hot.

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #662 of 5,808
Thanks for the heads-up that is different from 1z, I have renamed all my progressive jpegs to the album folder name as it was the only way to make 1z read album arts... Now need to redo it all ovee again, sight and facepalm. I dont blame shanling for this but dang it.

I am experiencing similar work to do with the playlists, need to rename the extension to .m3u and all the logs inside the file has to be corrected so the M8 can understand where is the file located.

I think its unfortunate for R8 as its one so well built dap and such a fast ui. But man huge hiss, volume knob suffers inaccuracies, and sound signature is on the thin analytical side with a sharp treble. I dont understand that no body hears that the R8 gets brighter and less dense/warm after 500hours. Personally I found R8 nor musical and too neutral border reference signature.

M8 is more in the league of sound like wm1z, zx507, n6 ii and cayin n8. M8 has its own territory in terms of signature and it does not sound a like any other warm daps. It has the shanling signature.
Cant dare saying its better then wm1z as I find it has a different sound phylosophie. It does do musicality and fun factor very well, not losing the technicalities either. Treble on M8 is very special, its not sharp nor too low but it hits you with gentle sparkle that you do feel energy in it tought its like a warmish treble sparkle rather R8 is a cold slashing strike.

Everyone knows I love warm sound signature.

Haha dont touch the cayin daps they will burn a hole on your leg and fry your fingers. I mean it! N6ii gets sooo hot you cant touch!

Trusta me M8 is very good not that hot.
At last you are convinced eh :) welcome to the club, you do like warm sound, but not any kind of warmth, the N8 was Warmth, and it didn’t tick your boxes, you want that special bass, it energy and it attacks too :wink:.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #663 of 5,808
At last you are convinced eh :) welcome to the club, you do like warm sound, but not any kind of warmth, the N8 was Warmth, and it didn’t tick your boxes, you want that special bass, it energy and it attacks too :wink:.

Yea N8 was not so super for my taste. If we talk cayin then n6 ii with amp t01 was my most favorite but it was not as good as zx507 for example. To bright in treble and overall somewhat aggressive on the presentation.

Zz507 and M8 are my all time 2 favorite daps I think. M8 has amazing kick in the mid bass to sub bass somewhere in the middle there while all sony signatures are going for the sub... I think M8 has its own praise and deserve to be appreciated by warm and musical signature lovers a most listen!

I thank you for pushing me toward m8 haha I was skeptical but man if M8 sounds this good then M30 gonna rock and kick solid 😛

M8 treble I can listen to it for ever and no siblance. Bass is tasty and flavorful but I wish a little more sub weight. Mids feels good nothing to change here like them thick and warmy or throaty 😛

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #664 of 5,808
Mine should be delivered today if all goes well.
Question : Is there a difference between android mode and prime mode sound wise using the shanling player?
Also has anyone played around the lowpass filters and found any difference?. favourite?

In theory there should be no difference between prime mode and full Android, if you do not have some app doing something it shouldn't.
In practice there will be some people reporting hearing differences.

I hate how this player heats up when in use .. my only complaint at the moment .

Demanding DACs, powerful amp and cooling connected to the chassis. Heating up of the chassis is normal for the M8.

Well at present I have an expensive brick whilst Shanling finishes their firmware updates to allow the m8 to read the artwork and track info from SACD ISO files - my only reason for buying the M8 - I have to admit the fact that no-one else has raised this issue worries me. Whilst I appreciate Shanling is providing support and replying to this forum - they do need to work in a more agile way and start releasing fixes more quickly. This is basic functionality and I have no good solution for playing my hundreds of iso files. I never had this issue with Sony WM1Z or A as at least you can work around the issues with jpg types and it reads the tags on dsf files correctly which the shanling doesn't.

Shanling Music app can display album art for ISO files, if it's as separate folder.jpg next to the ISO.
Reading all track info is missing for now, showing only track title, missing on album or artist tag.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 29, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #666 of 5,808
Yea N8 was not so super for my taste. If we talk cayin then n6 ii with amp t01 was my most favorite but it was not as good as zx507 for example. To bright in treble and overall somewhat aggressive on the presentation.

Zz507 and M8 are my all time 2 favorite daps I think. M8 has amazing kick in the mid bass to sub bass somewhere in the middle there while all sony signatures are going for the sub... I think M8 has its own praise and deserve to be appreciated by warm and musical signature lovers a most listen!

I thank you for pushing me toward m8 haha I was skeptical but man if M8 sounds this good then M30 gonna rock and kick solid 😛

M8 treble I can listen to it for ever and no siblance. Bass is tasty and flavorful but I wish a little more sub weight. Mids feels good nothing to change here like them thick and warmy or throaty 😛
Get yourself some Litz Silver cables for more subbass from M8, the one from Fiio that cost $100 works pretty well :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #667 of 5,808
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 29, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #669 of 5,808
Get yourself some Litz Silver cables for more subbass from M8, the one from Fiio that cost $100 works pretty well :)

I have the Symbiote elite 19 I am okay thanks 😜

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #670 of 5,808
I dont blame shanling for this but dang it.
Why? You should blame Shanling. They've released an incomplete product. I would say the same if it were any other manufacturer. Oversight is fine for a $300 player, but when you want to play in the big leagues, and charge this much for a DAP, you have to be held to a higher standard. If you really want to compete with Sony and Astell & Kern, it takes more than a warm-tuned player to do so. Just my 0.02.

Dec 30, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #671 of 5,808
Sorry for off topic reply but thought I would provide another view. Long time owner of N5ii then N6ii and never had issues with either being hot. Always cool as cucumbers for me :)

Dec 30, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #672 of 5,808
Sorry for off topic reply but thought I would provide another view. Long time owner of N5ii then N6ii and never had issues with either being hot. Always cool as cucumbers for me :)

I think we should all be happy when those metal case gets hot. That means the heat from those transistors gets dissipated properly thru the case. DAP's are not like PC that have air exhaust you know. It gets hot does not mean it's bad. It is actually good. Just get a leather case to cover it a bit and put it in a well ventilated area. My N8 gets very hot by the way, but it does power my headphones like HD800S so yeah it is kind of expected.

Dec 30, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #673 of 5,808
All wrong. All players by default have this kind of work with covers. In priority, the cover is displayed, which is in the folder as a file, rather than which is inserted in the tags.
Second: Sony players are very specific, so they should have music in the "music" folder and covers, apparently, with the name of the folder, which is crazy. Remember their connector .. Although now they have 505/507 with Type-C.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #674 of 5,808
Why? You should blame Shanling. They've released an incomplete product. I would say the same if it were any other manufacturer. Oversight is fine for a $300 player, but when you want to play in the big leagues, and charge this much for a DAP, you have to be held to a higher standard. If you really want to compete with Sony and Astell & Kern, it takes more than a warm-tuned player to do so. Just my 0.02.

Cayin daps had same software bugs when I had it. Not same same but I mean it had some too.
Hiby R8 is kinda the first one who is very flawless but not ideal in sound tuning so sad for me.

Dec 30, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #675 of 5,808
Cayin daps had same software bugs when I had it. Not same same but I mean it had some too.
Hiby R8 is kinda the first one who is very flawless but not ideal in sound tuning so sad for me.
Yes Cayin isn't great either. $3500+ for the N8 was just laughable considering it has the processing power of a calculator. I understand companies are rushing stuff to market, but if you're going to make a modern flagship, make sure it's ready to go before pushing GO.

Pity the R8 doesn't work for you. I suspect you need a very warm source if that's the sound profile you enjoy and you're only using Noirs, which are not a warm IEM and will reveal every aspect of the source. You'll probably enjoy the R8 much more with an IEM that has less forward treble.

Hopefully Shanling will come good with the M8 software. The stronger the competition the better for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back