Shanling M8 Android Portable player
May 3, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #3,106 of 5,808
Playing last night I realized that Hiby Music player is playing at some strange 48 khz.
That reminded me of this Android resampling issue.
Though I found Hiby Player sounding great with M8 I have the impression that there are still incompatibilities also considering my before mentioned strange stuck sample rates of >= 352 khz no matter which original rate flac is played and with upsampling being deactivated in the app.
I will for now stick to Native Shanling purist player mode for local SD card if I don't want equing.
Somehow a pity as I found features like the Hiby equing superior.
It didn't feel like decreasing SQ, it didn't decrease volume like all equalizers I have encountered before plus featuring the MSEB which I found more noob friendly to experiment than the usual equalizer / PEQ implementations...
I like UAPP for everything. Its nice to have Tidal, Qobuz, and local one stop app and it sounds very good to me, has EQ when not in bit perfect mode (I even like the minimalist interface). Might give the M8 a smidge more brightness? Kind of like Audirvana does. Top seems a bit more open. Tidal is only SW rendered in UAPP, but I am slowly leaving the MQA battlefield and don't care. I only have about 50 more albums to go that are not on Qobuz before splitsville. Still sounds better to me than full unfolds in the Tidal android app. edit: UAPP has gapless

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #3,107 of 5,808
At least these well known players like UApp and Neutron are consistent with the processing of FLAC files and not doing some weird undesired upsampling.
From pure blind listening I d give Hiby the edge even over UApp but as you said: everything is at its place for both local library as well as streaming. Plus you at least have the 2x app unfold of MQA.
Have to do more A-B once back home but from previous listening experiences with other DAPs I found Audirvana more round and open but not as bright as UApp might get when lifting the veil compared to Tidal native app.
Will need to do A-B more to say that's the same with M8.
What I am wondering about is what Hiby is doing in the app and how comes that equing isn't lowering the volume as in all other apps including UApp.
I d like to try Quobuz at some point but somehow Amazon Music HD is so tempting from price-value perspective.
Is there a huge gap between Amazon HD and Quobuz regarding SQ?

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #3,108 of 5,808
I've been meaning to give Hiby a look. It's on my to-do list. I am just lazy and used to UAPP now. It'll be interesting if I hear a difference.

May 3, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #3,109 of 5,808
Is there a huge gap between Amazon HD and Quobuz regarding SQ?
I don't know. I do not use any Amazon audio products. I give Amazon enough money and their presence literally in my backyard has political implications that confine my decisions a bit more than others. For now, not interested.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #3,110 of 5,808
I brought the Romi BX2+ into the party. The M8, D9200 and Romi is and incredible pairing with a dark background. I also did a side by side of the two so you could see the size comparison. The M8 handles LO very well
Could you please describe a bit the improvements of this setup vs stock M8?
Thx!

May 3, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #3,111 of 5,808
Cannot install MrMC android app in M8, please help. After 100% downloaded, error pop up. i really need to use MrMC with M8 to play music from my plex server because there will be no transcode to original hires music files. Thanks Shanling.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210504-084040_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210504-084040_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #3,112 of 5,808
And also seem like Shanling M8 cannot play Plex server. What happen to this android device?

May 4, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #3,113 of 5,808
I use them per album. I never just keep one on and listen to album upon album. I start with the default (Short Delay Sharp Roll Off) on high gain, then change it depending on what the master requires to get to my happy place. I primary listen to full albums though and a playlist user may find my methods annoying. I also use the gain settings to dial in dynamics and can be used as multipliers to the filters. Low gain seems to add bass weight, high gain peaks out some of the freq band nicely and adds bass slam. I don't use Turbo all that often right now because I am using Solaris a bunch, but MEST on Turbo can sound good with hiphop and adds even more punch. I still need to mess with Turbo, but for now its kind of too much juice for my IEM's.

My hard and fasts for the filters:
Sharp Roll off: Opens everything, etches details, not great for bad recordings unless they need extra treble.Enhances dark recordings.
Slow Roll off: Adds brightness, softens vocals and harsh artifacts. Good to soften and enhance dark recordings.
Short Delay Sharp Roll off: (Default) Good bet that well recorded and modern stuff sounds best here. Opens up the soundstage a bit. Adds some booty w/ detail.
Short Delay Slow Roll off: Like the default but adds upper mids and some treble peaks. Used when i want vocals to pop more.
Super Slow Roll Off: Pushes the mids forward a bit and relaxes the treble. Good for harsh recordings with annoying treble peaks. The 80's are a good era that this fits well with.
Low Dispersion Short Delay: The tube goo. Has an ever so graceful v-signiture to it. This one gets a lot of use on pre-1985 albums and questionably recorded metal and rock material.

tldl - The delay's add bass and the type of roll off interacts with the mids and treble. Slow kind of softens and sharp adds detail. My 2 cents.

Yes, Turbo Gain works best with MEST. Despite the fact that they are iems, they need a lot of electricity to properly control them. In this case, the volume does not mean control. It can be loud but qualitatively poor.

I mostly listen to Low Dispersion or Super Slow.

Vitaliy2017 also wrote a lot about the operation of the filters - I think very accurately.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...e-sockets-system.939962/page-55#post-16084075

BTW. Thanks for recommending Hibi Player. Sounds great, functionally great, looks great. Gapless works (most often).

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 5:29 AM Post #3,114 of 5,808
Yes, High Gain + Turbo works best with MEST. Despite the fact that they are iems, they need a lot of electricity to properly control them. In this case, the volume does not mean control. It can be loud but qualitatively poor.

I mostly listen to Low Dispersion or Super Slow.

Vitaliy2017 also wrote a lot about the operation of the filters - I think very accurately.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...e-sockets-system.939962/page-55#post-16084075

BTW. Thanks for recommending Hibi Player. Sounds great, functionally great, looks great. Gapless works (most often).
Can you please check how the bitrates behave with your library?
I got strange rates like 48khz or stuck >= 352 khz before and therefore think there are incompatibility issues with M8 (you can search for Hiby in this thread and compare my last posts to this topic)
Thx!

May 4, 2021 at 5:49 AM Post #3,115 of 5,808
Can you please check how the bitrates behave with your library?
I got strange rates like 48khz or stuck >= 352 khz before and therefore think there are incompatibility issues with M8 (you can search for Hiby in this thread and compare my last posts to this topic)
Thx!
I don't have such dense files. From what I can see - the densest I have is 24/96 and this one is reproduced correctly by Hibi.

May 4, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #3,116 of 5,808
I don't have such dense files. From what I can see - the densest I have is 24/96 and this one is reproduced correctly by Hibi.
E.g the 48 khz upsampling issue is occurring with standard 16/44 flac files
So anyone in this thread with such files should be able to reproduce.
Otherwise it's a great player.
I am only suspicious because of these issues...

May 4, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #3,117 of 5,808
E.g the 48 khz upsampling issue is occurring with standard 16/44 flac files
So anyone in this thread with such files should be able to reproduce.
Otherwise it's a great player.
I am only suspicious because of these issues...

I'm suspicious of the hi res files on Tidal. They can be 24 bit and lots of khz, and there are still doubts about their losslessness.

Generally lately I've been trying to listen to music rather than looking at different issues or bitrates. Player Hibi makes it possible for me, and Shanling's player, unfortunately, not due to the lack of gapless. What a pity!

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #3,118 of 5,808
I love my MEST MKII with M8.
I read that some added 3dt in parallel.
It's quite affordable at MusicTeck currently.
Does it make sense as a complement?

May 4, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #3,119 of 5,808
I'm suspicious of the hi res files on Tidal. They can be 24 bit and lots of khz, and there are still doubts about their losslessness.

Generally lately I've been trying to listen to music rather than looking at different issues or bitrates. Player Hibi makes it possible for me, and Shanling's player, unfortunately, not due to the lack of gapless. What a pity!
+1 on the focus on music not numbers.
F5FE1A01-5C8F-414F-ACC7-E8B74B944D46.jpeg
When I travel and stay in hotels I bring a little Blue Tooth stereo speaker with me.
In a hotel bathroom the sound is good actually, and if I am having a chat with someone we can have music. I wish I could listen to music 24/7.

Most BT portable speakers have too much bass, and are not stereo, and have gotten larger. The one I use is from 10 or more years ago, obsolete now, the replacement is mono and not as nice. I am actually on my second, Harmon Kardon last time I checked is selling refurb units with fresh batteries. It has a cool little kickstand and is also great for conference calls with a group, not much bigger than a cell phone.

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #3,120 of 5,808
+1 on the focus on music not numbers.

When I travel and stay in hotels I bring a little Blue Tooth stereo speaker with me.
In a hotel bathroom the sound is good actually, and if I am having a chat with some one we can have music. I wish I could listen to music 24/7.

Most BT portable speakers have too much bass, and are not stereo, and have gotten larger. The one I use is from 10 or more years ago, obsolete now, the replacement is mono and not as nice. I am actually on my second, Harmon Kardon last time I checked is selling refurb units with fresh batteries. It has a cool little kickstand and is also great for conference calls with a group, not much bigger than a cell phone.
I dig the acoustic treatments. Do you play special sonic sharpening waves through the speaker to keep the razor blades super-sharp? (I am waaay too crazy audiophile today!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back