Shanling M8 Android Portable player
May 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #3,091 of 5,808
I posted another one, last one in my edited post is even in leather though a bit thicker.
Which one do you like most?
Tough choice between the leather case (3rd one) and the ddhifi soft case (1st one). I'm leaning towards the soft case...

May 1, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #3,092 of 5,808
Tough choice between the leather case (3rd one) and the ddhifi soft case (1st one). I'm leaning towards the soft case...
Yep, smaller footprint as my 2nd case is better.
I ordered the ddhifi one

May 2, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #3,094 of 5,808
I'm planning to get the M8 anyone here pairing it with UM MEST mk2?
Yep, fabulous!
Just recently got M8, it's my to-go setup currently with MEST MKII.
Whereas with other pairings like L&P W2 MEST MKII is getting more technical and in comparison dryer, good for EDM and Electro, M8 is leveraging mids and bringing musicality and analogue texture to the ears.
I am enjoying Rock and Indie with this setup in a way I haven't expected before

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #3,095 of 5,808
Yep, fabulous!
Just recently got M8, it's my to-go setup currently with MEST MKII.
Whereas with other pairings like L&P W2 MEST MKII is getting more technical and in comparison dryer, good for EDM and Electro, M8 is leveraging mids and bringing musicality and analogue texture to the ears.
I am enjoying Rock and Indie with this setup in a way I haven't expected before
Thanks, I will try to contact some sellers now. I've been lurking this thread so much. And read some good inputs about the M8

May 2, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #3,096 of 5,808
Thanks, I will try to contact some sellers now. I've been lurking this thread so much. And read some good inputs about the M8
MusicTeck is my favorite seller even for Europe.
I might be still on a new toy hype but this device is exiting me more than other DAPs especially if you are fond of Rock, guitars, instrumental music anything profiting from the lush, vibrant but still detailed character of M8 making me enjoy these genres without questioning anything.
If you are looking for bang for bucks complementing different flavour as mentioned before for more reference dryer with very good stage and holografy for EDM, Electro, Pop if you are in that mood: L&P W2 - I found that great too with MEST MKII.
Just sold it only because I needed money and already have reference and dynamic signature on an unbeaten level with my DX Max.
So M8 is complementing it to my full satisfaction

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 3:06 AM Post #3,097 of 5,808
I might be still on a new toy hype but this device is exiting me more than other DAPs especially if you are fond of Rock, guitars, instrumental music anything profiting from the lush, vibrant but still detailed character of M8 making me enjoy these genres without questioning anything.
If you are looking for bang for bucks complementing different flavour as mentioned before for more reference dryer with very good stage and holografy for EDM, Electro, Pop if you are in that mood: L&P W2 - I found that great too with MEST MKII.
Just sold it only because I needed money and already have reference and dynamic signature on an unbeaten level with my DX Max.
Remember to check out the M30 :wink:. It is basically an M8 on steroids with Tubes, and all other bells and whistles

Although handling M30 has no chance of fried eggs but, crushed eggs or... larger biceps and chest by bench pressing

May 2, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #3,098 of 5,808
Remember to check out the M30 :wink:. It is basically an M8 on steroids with Tubes, and all other bells and whistles

Although handling M30 has no chance of fried eggs but, crushed eggs or... larger biceps and chest by bench pressing
Oh my Vince, that's for sure very tempting but currently I reached a point in my budget which I won't be able to justify talking to my wife if I stretched that even more 😉
If you told me I should sell all home gear like DX Max and barely used LCD-2 I might look into that at some point in the future
Edit: Though the features for training biceps and bench pressing are strong arguments in times of Corona and closed fitness centers 😉

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #3,099 of 5,808
+1 on Andrew and his company, MusicTeck, he puts the customer first always.

Your comment about Lush made me remember that band, and blow some dust off.

1619954749983.jpeg

May 2, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #3,100 of 5,808
To those of you with full sized headphones, the M8 does a wonderful job of providing enough authority. I love the DAP with the D9200 and the TH900

20210502_083840.jpg20210502_084039.jpg

May 2, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #3,101 of 5,808
+1 on Andrew and his company, MusicTeck, he puts the customer first always.

Your comment about Lush made me remember that band, and blow some dust off.

1619954749983.jpeg
Andrew always makes me feel like I'm his favorite customer!

May 2, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #3,102 of 5,808
2,5 days with M8 with ca 35h burn in time.
To my ears it has noticeably opened up from upper mids to lower highs sounding all in all more coherent.

Does someone have a description of the different digital filters and any preference experience with them?

May 2, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #3,103 of 5,808
I use them per album. I never just keep one on and listen to album upon album. I start with the default (Short Delay Sharp Roll Off) on high gain, then change it depending on what the master requires to get to my happy place. I primary listen to full albums though and a playlist user may find my methods annoying. I also use the gain settings to dial in dynamics and can be used as multipliers to the filters. Low gain seems to add bass weight, high gain peaks out some of the freq band nicely and adds bass slam. I don't use Turbo all that often right now because I am using Solaris a bunch, but MEST on Turbo can sound good with hiphop and adds even more punch. I still need to mess with Turbo, but for now its kind of too much juice for my IEM's.

My hard and fasts for the filters:
Sharp Roll off: Opens everything, etches details, not great for bad recordings unless they need extra treble.Enhances dark recordings.
Slow Roll off: Adds brightness, softens vocals and harsh artifacts. Good to soften and enhance dark recordings.
Short Delay Sharp Roll off: (Default) Good bet that well recorded and modern stuff sounds best here. Opens up the soundstage a bit. Adds some booty w/ detail.
Short Delay Slow Roll off: Like the default but adds upper mids and some treble peaks. Used when i want vocals to pop more.
Super Slow Roll Off: Pushes the mids forward a bit and relaxes the treble. Good for harsh recordings with annoying treble peaks. The 80's are a good era that this fits well with.
Low Dispersion Short Delay: The tube goo. Has an ever so graceful v-signiture to it. This one gets a lot of use on pre-1985 albums and questionably recorded metal and rock material.

tldl - The delay's add bass and the type of roll off interacts with the mids and treble. Slow kind of softens and sharp adds detail. My 2 cents.

May 3, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #3,104 of 5,808
Playing last night I realized that Hiby Music player is playing at some strange 48 khz.
That reminded me of this Android resampling issue.
Though I found Hiby Player sounding great with M8 I have the impression that there are still incompatibilities also considering my before mentioned strange stuck sample rates of >= 352 khz no matter which original rate flac is played and with upsampling being deactivated in the app.
I will for now stick to Native Shanling purist player mode for local SD card if I don't want equing.
Somehow a pity as I found features like the Hiby equing superior.
It didn't feel like decreasing SQ, it didn't decrease volume like all equalizers I have encountered before plus featuring the MSEB which I found more noob friendly to experiment than the usual equalizer / PEQ implementations...

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #3,105 of 5,808
I use them per album. I never just keep one on and listen to album upon album. I start with the default (Short Delay Sharp Roll Off) on high gain, then change it depending on what the master requires to get to my happy place. I primary listen to full albums though and a playlist user may find my methods annoying. I also use the gain settings to dial in dynamics and can be used as multipliers to the filters. Low gain seems to add bass weight, high gain peaks out some of the freq band nicely and adds bass slam. I don't use Turbo all that often right now because I am using Solaris a bunch, but MEST on Turbo can sound good with hiphop and adds even more punch. I still need to mess with Turbo, but for now its kind of too much juice for my IEM's.

My hard and fasts for the filters:
Sharp Roll off: Opens everything, etches details, not great for bad recordings unless they need extra treble.Enhances dark recordings.
Slow Roll off: Adds brightness, softens vocals and harsh artifacts. Good to soften and enhance dark recordings.
Short Delay Sharp Roll off: (Default) Good bet that well recorded and modern stuff sounds best here. Opens up the soundstage a bit. Adds some booty w/ detail.
Short Delay Slow Roll off: Like the default but adds upper mids and some treble peaks. Used when i want vocals to pop more.
Super Slow Roll Off: Pushes the mids forward a bit and relaxes the treble. Good for harsh recordings with annoying treble peaks. The 80's are a good era that this fits well with.
Low Dispersion Short Delay: The tube goo. Has an ever so graceful v-signiture to it. This one gets a lot of use on pre-1985 albums and questionably recorded metal and rock material.

tldl - The delay's add bass and the type of roll off interacts with the mids and treble. Slow kind of softens and sharp adds detail. My 2 cents.
Very good post!
I think I will print that out once back home from my trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back