Shanling M8 Android Portable player
May 4, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #3,136 of 5,808
No, I don't miss the bass at all. U18s has better bass technicality than anything else here. Tight and detailed. Punches just enough. I'm keeping the MEST for a different fun factor. Unfortunately, Noir and Z1R are being prepared for classifieds. Let me know if anyone is interested!

I am interested in tha a18s 😛😁 at least to try it if you still up for the spin tour 😎🙂

May 4, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #3,137 of 5,808
What do you pair your Oriolus mk2 with btw?
I use it with my DX228EX or my desktop system. Would be nice to find another smoother neutral DAP... kind of handful right now :sweat_smile: It's not going anywhere as I like its sound. I don't use it as my main from fear of breaking it.

May 4, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #3,138 of 5,808
I use it with my DX228EX or my desktop system. Would be nice to find another smoother neutral DAP... kind of handful right now :sweat_smile: It's not going anywhere as I like its sound. I don't use it as my main from fear of breaking it.
Shame it just doesn't pair nicely with the M8... it's pretty much my desert island iem.

May 5, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #3,139 of 5,808
When I travel and stay in hotels I bring a little Blue Tooth stereo speaker with me.
I am also looking for an acceptable sounding mini bluetooth speaker for traveling.
Is this "Harman Kardon Esquire mini"?
Didn't get it. Which one are you recommending? Version 1 or 2?

May 5, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #3,140 of 5,808
I am also looking for an acceptable sounding mini bluetooth speaker for traveling.
Is this "Harman Kardon Esquire mini"?
Didn't get it. Which one are you recommending? Version 1 or 2?
Yes HK Em.
Version 2 sounds better with frequency response, the design is cheapened and it is not stereo, so no imaging. Version 1 is better for what I like, with a small trade off on the frequency response.

I had Version 1 for years, and it would not hold charge very long, not dealing with a complicated user battery change. Than I misplaced it.

I ordered version 2 and noticed the two things I mentioned above.

Harmon was still selling refurbed vs 1, so that is what was in the photo.

This speaker does not produce as much volume of sound or low bass as well as the larger competition but for a hotel room or in a rental house cooking eggs in the morning on vacation it is plenty.

May 5, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #3,141 of 5,808
IDK I'm getting random drop outs again...

May 5, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #3,142 of 5,808
Obvious question but I have to ask: did you update the firmware to 1.3? You need the link from this forum, not the Shanling website...last I looked that had not updated the link yet
Both links in the download section and news section lead to the correct firmware.
There's idle power off which was set to 10 mins.
Will this lead to complete shutdown after not playing for 10 mins?
Cause this just happened when pausing the Shanling player and coming back after 15 mins.
M8 was shut down and needed to start Android from scratch...
Now set it to 50 mins which is the max setting?
Yes, if you do not use device for set time, with no music playing, it will completely power off.
You can set this function to off if you do not like this.
Cannot install MrMC android app in M8, please help. After 100% downloaded, error pop up. i really need to use MrMC with M8 to play music from my plex server because there will be no transcode to original hires music files. Thanks Shanling.
Testing MRMc Lite, giving the strange error in play store, but working fine in APKPure.
E.g the 48 khz upsampling issue is occurring with standard 16/44 flac files
So anyone in this thread with such files should be able to reproduce.
Otherwise it's a great player.
I am only suspicious because of these issues...
I'm using HiBY app quite often and not seeing such problems. It's showing correctly the sampling rate.
But I never used the EQ, so that might be causing it?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 5, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #3,143 of 5,808
Anyone using BubbleUPnP app connect to BubbleUPnP server at home which have Plex and foobar2000 DLNA server? It's working with M8 but needed M8 using FFmpeg audio decoding to force with all files that playing. At least I now can enjoy my own home server via internet. :)

May 5, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #3,144 of 5,808
Both links in the download section and news section lead to the correct firmware.

Yes, if you do not use device for set time, with no music playing, it will completely power off.
You can set this function to off if you do not like this.

Testing MRMc Lite, giving the strange error in play store, but working fine in APKPure.

I'm using HiBY app quite often and not seeing such problems. It's showing correctly the sampling rate.
Thanks Shanling, you said working fine in APKPure, mean you can install and run? I try to get apk file of MrMC and successfully installed but after open the app, crashed. Cannot open the app and M8 rebooted itself.

May 5, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #3,145 of 5,808
Thanks Shanling, you said working fine in APKPure, mean you can install and run? I try to get apk file of MrMC and successfully installed but after open the app, crashed. Cannot open the app and M8 rebooted itself.
Never saw such behavior on M8. I would recommend to contact the app developer, if they have some version for Android 7.1.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 6, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #3,146 of 5,808

Thx for the feedback.
Shall I send you a log file if there is some option to log this behavior or do you say it's a matter of Hiby to look into this?
Both problems of 48khz or stuck >= 352 khz can be repeated on my device at my fingertips. All other apps including Shanling ones are playing flawlessly...

Attachments

• 623B76D8-911B-4C41-914F-E3BCC8E5EAD2.jpeg
    623B76D8-911B-4C41-914F-E3BCC8E5EAD2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #3,147 of 5,808
Anyone using BubbleUPnP app connect to BubbleUPnP server at home which have Plex and foobar2000 DLNA server? It's working with M8 but needed M8 using FFmpeg audio decoding to force with all files that playing. At least I now can enjoy my own home server via internet. :)
Sometimes I use MinimServer (another UPnP server) together with foobar2000 to play my network music files on my M8. MinimServer in my case as well is using ffmpeg.
Works as I was used to it from my old 2 PC AudioPC / ControlPC solution (using JPlay). Same and very comfortable behaviour. Minim has very advanced search functionality "Intelligent Browsing" which is much better than anything else that I have seen in software players.
But I just installed it to try. Normally I play locally stored music from microSD and with WLAN turned off for the hope of better sound quality. :)
In order to get to a similar ease of searching in my music, I have a very strict structure of my files and tagging. Quite an effort, but nice afterwards when you play offline with limited search functionality.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #3,148 of 5,808
Sometimes I use MinimServer (another UPnP server) together with foobar2000 to play my network music files on my M8. MinimServer in my case as well is using ffmpeg.
Works as I was used it from my old 2 PC AudioPC / ControlPC solution (using JPlay). Same and very comfortable behaviour. Minim has very advanced search functionality "Intelligent Browsing" which is much better than everything else that I have seen in other software players.
But I just installed it to try. Normally I play locally stored music from microSD and with WLAN turned off for the hope of better sound quality. :)
In order to get to a similar ease of searching in my music, I have a very strict structure of my files and tagging. Quite an effort, but nice afterwards when you play offline with limited search functionality.
Thanks for sharing. Never heard of MinimServer before. Will look for more info.

May 6, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #3,149 of 5,808
Is steaming on tidal close in quality to stored files these days?

Is there a way to get customizable parametric eq on these?

it seems like people are having problems with dropouts with these units. Is the problem known?

May 6, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #3,150 of 5,808
Is steaming on tidal close in quality to stored files these days?

Is there a way to get customizable parametric eq on these?

it seems like people are having problems with dropouts with these units. Is the problem known?
UApp for PEQ though only 2x software unfold then.
As I am now on a 2 weeks trip with limited internet I am doing Tidal offline without issues up to 8x unfold then.
Regardless of that unfolding topic UApp > Tidal native app SQ wise anyway which seems to be common sense for M8 from what I understood in this thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back