Shanling M8 Android Portable player
May 6, 2021 at 4:02 AM Post #3,152 of 5,808
That kind of made sense to me.

I’m thinking about getting and m8 and an lcd-4
Full Size Planar with 200 Ohms?
Though M8 is powerful for a DAP I am not sure if it could run it to full throttle with authority.
Reading in internet it says:
Optimal power requirement: 1–4W for LCD-4.
So M8 is out like any other DAP I know without extra external amplification...
Maybe some other forum member can elaborate here...
If you want to connect an extra AMP beware that M8 doesn't have real LO - thus doing double-amping then...

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3,153 of 5,808
I use them per album. I never just keep one on and listen to album upon album. I start with the default (Short Delay Sharp Roll Off) on high gain, then change it depending on what the master requires to get to my happy place. I primary listen to full albums though and a playlist user may find my methods annoying. I also use the gain settings to dial in dynamics and can be used as multipliers to the filters. Low gain seems to add bass weight, high gain peaks out some of the freq band nicely and adds bass slam. I don't use Turbo all that often right now because I am using Solaris a bunch, but MEST on Turbo can sound good with hiphop and adds even more punch. I still need to mess with Turbo, but for now its kind of too much juice for my IEM's.

My hard and fasts for the filters:
Sharp Roll off: Opens everything, etches details, not great for bad recordings unless they need extra treble.Enhances dark recordings.
Slow Roll off: Adds brightness, softens vocals and harsh artifacts. Good to soften and enhance dark recordings.
Short Delay Sharp Roll off: (Default) Good bet that well recorded and modern stuff sounds best here. Opens up the soundstage a bit. Adds some booty w/ detail.
Short Delay Slow Roll off: Like the default but adds upper mids and some treble peaks. Used when i want vocals to pop more.
Super Slow Roll Off: Pushes the mids forward a bit and relaxes the treble. Good for harsh recordings with annoying treble peaks. The 80's are a good era that this fits well with.
Low Dispersion Short Delay: The tube goo. Has an ever so graceful v-signiture to it. This one gets a lot of use on pre-1985 albums and questionably recorded metal and rock material.

tldl - The delay's add bass and the type of roll off interacts with the mids and treble. Slow kind of softens and sharp adds detail. My 2 cents.
Excellent details! even though it is super hard to hear between them for many AK devices

May 6, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #3,154 of 5,808
Full Size Planar with 200 Ohms?
Though M8 is powerful for a DAP I am not sure if it could run it to full throttle with authority.
Reading in internet it says:
Optimal power requirement: 1–4W for LCD-4.
So M8 is out like any other DAP I know without extra external amplification...
Maybe some other forum member can elaborate here...
If you want to connect an extra AMP beware that M8 doesn't have real LO - thus doing double-amping then...
That was a typo actually. Lcd-4z

May 6, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #3,155 of 5,808
That was a typo actually. Lcd-4z
Ok
Now M8 power is more than enough.
What I am wondering about though is if the tonal character of the LCD-4z is a good synergy with M8 which is very similar accentuating more the lower mids and bringing that kind of warm soil signature in.
So potentially you'd end up having a too warm and muddy combination.
Have you read a review of both matching well?
Usually the recommendation is to pair warm with bright.
So potentially you'd go better with more neutral DAPs or choose a different headphone.
But take this with a grain of salt as I haven't listened to this combo and haven't read any reviews about this pairing.

May 6, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,156 of 5,808
After how many days, hours have you guys stopped permanent burn in?
Am still doing it for 6 days now with small breaks.
Finding listening time only during nights currently but have recognized remarkable opening up through frequencies listening on my MEST MKII with better overall coherencies
M8 isn't getting as warm any more when charged to 100% and staying further connected to power while playing mostly 16/44 in Shanling player

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #3,157 of 5,808
May 6, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #3,158 of 5,808
After how many days, hours have you guys stopped permanent burn in?
I stopped at ~350 hrs. It still continued to improve bit by bit, but vast changes were over with, it seemed to me.
So at least another week+ for you, lol.

May 6, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #3,159 of 5,808
Oh boy... here we go.
It is a legitimate question, the answer is to technical and we do not know what the actual algorithms and circuits are doing. We should just agree to use our ears to decide leave the other little grey cells out of it.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #3,160 of 5,808
It is a legitimate question, the answer is to technical and we do not know what the actual algorithms and circuits are doing. We should just agree to use our ears to decide leave the other little grey cells out of it.
Not questioning the legitimacy. Just poking a little fun at the devolving nature threads take when this is brought up. The mqa assassin’s will descend on us shortly.

May 6, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #3,161 of 5,808
Oh boy... here we go.

I’m obviously new to this stuff. It’s all good to me at this point
Ok
Now M8 power is more than enough.
What I am wondering about though is if the tonal character of the LCD-4z is a good synergy with M8 which is very similar accentuating more the lower mids and bringing that kind of warm soil signature in.
So potentially you'd end up having a too warm and muddy combination.
Have you read a review of both matching well?
Usually the recommendation is to pair warm with bright.
So potentially you'd go better with more neutral DAPs or choose a different headphone.
But take this with a grain of salt as I haven't listened to this combo and haven't read any reviews about this pairing.

That’s actually what I had in mind. I wondered if headphone to amp pairing can run into those issues. I listen to heavy metal, so if it’s too cold sounding, it can become ear piercing at higher SPL.

so then I wonder if the dx300 would be a good option since you can swap out the amp?

i don’t know how I’d ever come across anyone that has paired the lcd-4z with the m8. Slim chance

May 6, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,162 of 5,808
Hi All - Just dropping in I'm new here and just purchased the M8 today as my first dive into the DAP world ....I will be lookign to use this as a desktop in the short term. Will the M8 make a good desktop set up ? I may consider the HIFIMAN ARYA will the M8 drive those ok ? Thanks in advance ...I may well be back with some more dumbass questions real soon lol !

May 6, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,163 of 5,808
I’m obviously new to this stuff. It’s all good to me at this point

That’s actually what I had in mind. I wondered if headphone to amp pairing can run into those issues. I listen to heavy metal, so if it’s too cold sounding, it can become ear piercing at higher SPL.

so then I wonder if the dx300 would be a good option since you can swap out the amp?

i don’t know how I’d ever come across anyone that has paired the lcd-4z with the m8. Slim chance
@Whitigir Vince, any idea about his taste and pairing?
Joke is that's also my music taste and M8 is best suited for it especially for this piercing issue.
But I can't comment on your headphone pairing unfortunately and man you ve chosen some high end cans.
DX300 is a solid alternative option
General question: do you have the chance to demo, return?

May 6, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #3,164 of 5,808
Not questioning the legitimacy. Just poking a little fun at the devolving nature threads take when this is brought up. The mqa assassin’s will descend on us shortly.
+1 seems like it alway devolves into a highly speculative and pointless debate. I thought MQA was already debunked doing more harm than charm.

Now I just made it worse. Sorry speculating.

If it sounds good that is all that matters right?

May 6, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #3,165 of 5,808
As we are talking about MQA, UAPP update is released with Full MQA support for M3Pro and M8.
My first tests are looking good!!!
Switching to UApp now as my default player 👍
Edit: Finally I can make Martha hot again with MQA and Turbo Gain 😉

Attachments

• 591B13CC-191C-464C-A44D-4B2F71847C81.jpeg
    591B13CC-191C-464C-A44D-4B2F71847C81.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back