Shanling M6 PRO - New version coming Summer 2021
Aug 12, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #721 of 959
Using the M6 Pro 21 with my old EE Athena CIEMs today - absolutely no hiss on single ended out. Impressive noise control.

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #722 of 959
I just received it, sealed from China, 43 days waiting. Opened it up, beautiful, applied the screen protection, and when I tried to power it on....

It does not power on. Nothing, Nada.

Looked at the manual. Tried the 2 secs holding thing. The 12 secs, the 30 secs desperate guy trying to power on its new toy thing. Nothing, no led blinking, no screen on.

I plugged it to charge, 5v 2a charger. No Led blinking, no screen on.

I bought the M6 Pro 21 because my Hiby R5 S broke within 2 months of use (It is in China right now, for RMA).

Is it that anedoctal of a bad luck, is there anything I am missing on turning the M6 Pro on for the first time?

How can I proceed other than crying, asking for a refund to my seller and never buying any chinese DAP again?

Thanks

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #723 of 959
I just received it, sealed from China, 43 days waiting. Opened it up, beautiful, applied the screen protection, and when I tried to power it on....

Looked at the manual. Tried the 2 secs holding thing. The 12 secs, the 30 secs desperate guy trying to power on its new toy thing. Nothing, no led blinking, no screen on.

I bought the M6 Pro 21 because my Hiby R5 S broke within 2 months of use (It is in China right now, for RMA).

Is it that anedoctal of a bad luck, is there anything I am missing on turning the M6 Pro on for the first time?

How can I proceed other than crying, asking for a refund to my seller and never buying any chinese DAP again?

Thanks
cc @Shanling

Those symptoms are disturbingly like those I'm experiencing with a 'like-new' M6 Pro "original" version I bought this month:

a. no LED or % charged display on wheel-press when powered-off device is charging <= Shanling says it should display these
b. unreliable device power-on with wheel-press. Sometimes it's 2sec, sometimes it's 17sec, sometimes device doesn't power on at all.
c. unreliable charging on a conforming 5A/3V QC3.0 charger (Choetech Q3001): battery level actually drains if device is on while charging (no apps running, display off)

My guess: charging / power supply circuits and batteries on some of these units are flawed. Either design, implementation, components or all of them are sketchy. It isn't widespread (yet?) but the flaws show up on enough devices to make them a somewhat risky buy. Yes M6 Pro (21) and original versions have some different components, and yes it's highly likely they share fundamental circuit design (like charging and power supply).

Like I said this is my guess. I hope I'm wrong.

Advice to you based on what Shanling and my seller told me:

1. try an 'older' QC-conforming charger and leave it there for >= 6 hours. Their assertion: some customers are having issues with modern PD/USB-C/fast-charge chargers <= if legit this is a real limitation of the M6 Pro, like "it won't work with modern chargers?" : |
2. do a factory reset
3. if none of that works do the 'nuclear' option: run the battery down until device shuts itself off. Put it back on a QC charger and charge up fully <= of course, with LED and onscreen % charged display not working who knows what's going on inside. I also pointed out to them the negative impact of full discharge/recharge cycles on LIon battery lifespans.

I did 1-3 and I'm still having issues a-c on my device. Your luck may vary. For everyone's sake I hope mine is just a one-off defective device.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #724 of 959
The only option I can try is 1,since I didn't manage it to turn on. I'm attempting to charge it for one hour and a half by now (and it is as dead as it can be). I'll try to find an old charger.

But yeah, I can't run the battery out since it never powers on, nor change anything firmware wise. I am expecting the worse on something that costed me 800 usd
20210820_113330.jpg
20210820_113600.jpg

Right now it is the most beautiful, expensive paperweight I have ever seen / paid

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #725 of 959

Thanks

Man, I feel bad for you. I've heard, anecdotally, that you can try plugging an unresponsive DAP into one of your PC or laptop USB ports and see if that possibly brings it to life. You just kind of leave it there for a while and see what happens.

EDITED:

Note: If it's charging, either through a PC or charger, the light right above the volume wheel will light up as steady red. When charging is done, the light goes off. The unit and charging brick will get pretty warm during power outlet charging I have found.

I got mine recently and had a bit of a scare early on--on the first turn on, it operated normally, but very early on (first hour) when installing some apps I did a shut down and then it didn't seem to want to start up. I did the 12 second (give or take) thing and luckily it restarted and has operated fine since. It's charging thing is a bit odd though: I first used an adaptive charger, the one that came with a Samsung Smartphone and it didn't like it--the unit would keep sort of rebooting to the welcome screen and this welcome screen would come on and off and the red light would go on and off as it did this. When I switched to one of my standard 5V/2A USB bricks it charged normally--red light on, you can click the volume wheel and see the status of the charge.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #726 of 959
Man, I feel bad for you. I've heard, anecdotally, that you can try plugging an unresponsive DAP into one of your PC or laptop USB ports and see if that possibly brings it to life. You just kind of leave it there for a while and see what happens.

EDITED:

Note: If it's charging, either through a PC or charger, the light right above the volume wheel will light up as steady red. When charging is done, the light goes off. The unit and charging brick will get pretty warm during power outlet charging I have found.

I got mine recently and had a bit of a scare early on--on the first turn on, it operated normally, but very early on (first hour) when installing some apps I did a shut down and then it didn't seem to want to start up. I did the 12 second (give or take) thing and luckily it restarted and has operated fine since. It's charging thing is a bit odd though: I first used an adaptive charger, the one that came with a Samsung Smartphone and it didn't like it--the unit would keep sort of rebooting to the welcome screen and this welcome screen would come on and off and the red light would go on and off as it did this. When I switched to one of my standard 5V/2A USB bricks it charged normally--red light on, you can click the volume wheel and see the status of the charge.
Thanks for this detail. I guess it is a stillborn product then.

Mine doesn't heat up, doesn't flash/turn the light on in any color when connected on a charger/usb laptop.

I just cannot understand how a company can seal, put in a box and ship something to the retailers without testing it can turn on. I doubt it was damaged on transport, lots and lots of protection.

I just realized I have spent +1k usd on DAPs that failed on me

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #727 of 959

Mine doesn't heat up, doesn't flash/turn the light on in any color when connected on a charger/usb laptop.

I just cannot understand how a company can seal, put in a box and ship something to the retailers without testing it can turn on. I doubt it was damaged on transport, lots and lots of protection.

Yes, I hear you. If it was me I would try what usery mentioned--do his step #1 and just leave it there for several hours. If your battery is simply completely drained for some reason, you, theoretically wouldn't even have enough power available to light up the red light. If that doesn't work try the PC connection method I mentioned. Hopefully some others that have had this happen can chime in. Keep us posted if you have the time.

Also, the Shanling rep here at Head-Fi is very helpful and maybe he can offer some advice.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #728 of 959

Find a QC 3.0 charger and keep trying. Check it after 6hrs or so.

My device doesn't heat up or get LED/% charged display either, but it does take a charge when in powered-off state.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #729 of 959
Find a QC 3.0 charger and keep trying. Check it after 6hrs or so.

My device doesn't heat up or get LED/% charged display either, but it does take a charge when in powered-off state.
I'll try it, I'm gonna work now. And come back to it at night.

Either way I thank both of you and @BobSmith8901 for taking the time and trying to help me

I'll keep you and this thread posted

Best,

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #730 of 959
Update :

After trying out 3 different chargers and pc usb to charge a dead on arrival m6 pro 2021, I've decided to it leave charging as suggested with an old charger and took the liberty to change the cable too, I was trying to charge with the one that came with the DAP.

Results :

-Almost forty minutes later the red light led went on!
-Seven hours + later I couldn't wait anymore as the red light never went off, tried to turn it on. After 5 tries with the 12 seconds power on holding attempts, it turns on!
- It turns on just to crash and turn off at the first settings screen =/
- A couple of power on retries again and it boots! At frigging 51% charge (What, only?! Almost 8 hours charging!)
- Apkpure would download Spotify and etc but wouldn't install them even with permissions to do it.
- After going back and forth like an idiot, as I always had Google play directly at hand, I rebooted the system. It worked! Finally able to install everything from apkpure.
- Took like 10 hours to charge till 100%
- It indeed sounds good
- I'm afraid to turn it off

I would like to thank A LOT you guys, without your help I would be definitely returning it and disputes / returns to China are a pita when living in Brazil.

As for the product...
The unboxing experience was very good, beautiful presentation. The nine, ten hours after that were easily my worst product experience ever.

- It came with 0.0000000% battery
- It didn't charge or at least didn't show was doing it so for at least like 2 hours and 3 different chargers attempts
- Didn't power on without hours and hours of charging, with crashes and weird behaviors. Looked like a paperweight from the start. "Regular" power on never worked. I'm afraid to let it turn off.

Tbh, I was pretty disappointed with Hiby. That is why I tried Shanling. I hope Fiio and (A&k) Kanns are different, for the sake of the costumers.

Attachments

• 20210820_190946.jpg
    20210820_190946.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210820_191145.jpg
    20210820_191145.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-20210820-WA0025.jpeg
    IMG-20210820-WA0025.jpeg
    977.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #731 of 959
That's wonderful news! Shanling seems to have a bad battery supplier as this is not the first time. Even my og M6Pro had battery issues. I installed a battery checker which indicated that the battery was only at 60% capacity right off the bat. I live with it as it is so difficult to prove these things. But it does sound so good!

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #732 of 959
Update :

After trying out 3 different chargers and pc usb to charge a dead on arrival m6 pro 2021, I've decided to it leave charging as suggested with an old charger and took the liberty to change the cable too, I was trying to charge with the one that came with the DAP.

Results :

-Seven hours + later I couldn't wait anymore as the red light never went off, tried to turn it on. After 5 tries with the 12 seconds power on holding attempts, it turns on!
- A couple of power on retries again and it boots! At frigging 51% charge (What, only?! Almost 8 hours charging!)
- Apkpure would download Spotify and etc but wouldn't install them even with permissions to do it.
- After going back and forth like an idiot, as I always had Google play directly at hand, I rebooted the system. It worked! Finally able to install everything from apkpure.
- It indeed sounds good

I would like to thank A LOT you guys, without your help I would be definitely returning it and disputes / returns to China are a pita when living in Brazil.

As for the product...
The unboxing experience was very good, beautiful presentation. The nine, ten hours after that were easily my worst product experience ever.

- It didn't charge or at least didn't show was doing it so for at least like 2 hours and 3 different chargers attempts
- Didn't power on without hours and hours of charging, with crashes and weird behaviors. Looked like a paperweight from the start. "Regular" power on never worked. I'm afraid to let it turn off.

Tbh, I was pretty disappointed with Hiby. That is why I tried Shanling. I hope Fiio and (A&k) Kanns are different, for the sake of the costumers.
Great to hear! I had a hopeful feeling that you'd eventually get it going. Good luck going forward and I hope you enjoy it!

Aug 20, 2021 at 11:12 PM Post #733 of 959
Update :

Results :

- It indeed sounds good

As for the product...

I've been following your story and suspect your issue has been the depleted battery which wouldn't allow a full proper power cycle and possibly corrupted the OS load. I'd suggest you plug it in and perform a factory reset and leave it plugged in till fully charged. It's worth trying, it may be the fix you need.

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #735 of 959
Update :

Results :

- It indeed sounds good

As for the product...

Ok, glad to hear it worked out in the end. Seems it was just truly depleted battery, should work ok for now.

@Shanling do you have any insight to offer on the unreliable battery/charging/power delivery issues your M6 Pro 21 and OG customers are experiencing? Please see the preceding posts ↑↑
If your device isn't showing charging indicator or red LED, something is wrong and send it back to seller for repair.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back