Shanling M6 PRO - New version coming Summer 2021
Aug 23, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #736 of 965
Update :

After trying out 3 different chargers and pc usb to charge a dead on arrival m6 pro 2021, I've decided to it leave charging as suggested with an old charger and took the liberty to change the cable too, I was trying to charge with the one that came with the DAP.

Results :

-Almost forty minutes later the red light led went on!
-Seven hours + later I couldn't wait anymore as the red light never went off, tried to turn it on. After 5 tries with the 12 seconds power on holding attempts, it turns on!
- It turns on just to crash and turn off at the first settings screen =/
- A couple of power on retries again and it boots! At frigging 51% charge (What, only?! Almost 8 hours charging!)
- Apkpure would download Spotify and etc but wouldn't install them even with permissions to do it.
- After going back and forth like an idiot, as I always had Google play directly at hand, I rebooted the system. It worked! Finally able to install everything from apkpure.
- Took like 10 hours to charge till 100%
- It indeed sounds good
- I'm afraid to turn it off

I would like to thank A LOT you guys, without your help I would be definitely returning it and disputes / returns to China are a pita when living in Brazil.

As for the product...
The unboxing experience was very good, beautiful presentation. The nine, ten hours after that were easily my worst product experience ever.

- It came with 0.0000000% battery
- It didn't charge or at least didn't show was doing it so for at least like 2 hours and 3 different chargers attempts
- Didn't power on without hours and hours of charging, with crashes and weird behaviors. Looked like a paperweight from the start. "Regular" power on never worked. I'm afraid to let it turn off.

Tbh, I was pretty disappointed with Hiby. That is why I tried Shanling. I hope Fiio and (A&k) Kanns are different, for the sake of the costumers.
Hey, just wondering how your Pro 21 is doing. Were you able to get a good factory reset and get it back to normal ops or are you just keeping it as is, assuming it's still operating OK?

Last night, out of precaution I decided to totally deplete my units battery down to zero to get an android reset on the battery level. I think I had around 90% battery on it and, just playing local tunes from the pre-installed Shanling app, it took around 10-11 hours to go to zero out of the 4.4mm balanced. It took around 2 1/2 + hours to recharge back to 100% using a standard 5V/2A brick, which got very warm in the process. The DAP got moderately warm.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #737 of 965
Hey, just wondering how your Pro 21 is doing. Were you able to get a good factory reset and get it back to normal ops or are you just keeping it as is, assuming it's still operating OK?

Last night, out of precaution I decided to totally deplete my units battery down to zero to get an android reset on the battery level. I think I had around 90% battery on it and, just playing local tunes from the pre-installed Shanling app, it took around 10-11 hours to go to zero out of the 4.4mm balanced. It took around 2 1/2 + hours to recharge back to 100% using a standard 5V/2A brick, which got very warm in the process. The DAP got moderately warm.
Interesting. Did the battery reset work?

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #738 of 965
Interesting. Did the battery reset work?
Hi--I had just decided to do a battery calibration on my M6 Pro 21, not due to any issues, just precautionary. There wasn't any problem and it probably wasn't necessary, although when I first got the unit I did have a very early, first day issue where I had to do the 12 second hold to get a restart. Since then, the battery usage I've experienced and the battery percentage indicator all seem OK, nothing out of the ordinary that I can tell.

I do have a couple of question for any M6 Pro 21 owners:

1. Regarding Bluetooth and the unit's LED color indicator, here's what I get with the various CODECS in connection to a FiiO BTR5:

SBC: Blue
LDAC: Green
aptX HD: Green
aptX: Purple

Shanling says on their website page for the Pro 21 that aptX HD should be Yellow. Maybe it's a misprint or there was a firmware difference on some earlier or later shipping units--mine arrived with firmware version 1.05 and I don't see any firmware updates yet. No big deal as aptX HD works as advertised.

What color do others get for aptX HD on their M6 Pro 21?

2. Anyone using the TIDAL app (versions 2.43 and 2.44):

When playing a tune in the Tidal app, at the start of a song, the little time scroll at the bottom of the player will often show time at 0:00 as the song plays normally, and no movement in the scroll throughout the song. Then when the next song comes up, again, playing normally with no hiccups or buffer issues, this next song will start with the time scroll indicating a point past the start point, maybe a minute or two forward. If the scroll hits the end point before the song ends, the song will keep playing normally til the end and then go to the next tune. One can hit the next song once or twice and correct this issue and it may stay corrected for subsequent songs or it may not.

It seems with longer Tidal usage in a given session, that the unit will self-correct and show normal time-scrolling. Again, it does not affect the song in any way, and if you were listening with the screen off and not looking at the player you would never know there was an issue. Just curious if others had experienced this.

Aug 25, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #742 of 965
Given that I think I know the answer to the above question, how do I get the album art to display? What I am getting so far out of this gazillion colours Android display is a bunch of monochrome rectangles, which is spectacularly unimpressive.

I'll try to flesh this question out a bit more. On my M3s I always play from the card (I do not update the library - takes far too long) because I have music on 4 different cards (two 1TB cards and two 512GB cards). It is not feasible to update the library because it will change as soon as I change the card.

However, on the M3s the album art is displayed as soon as I start playing something. On this M6 Pro 21 if i go through:
Shanling (app) ► Folders ► Micro SD Card ► 4. FUSION & JAZZ (my folder name) ► Bailey, Victor ► Bottom's Up ► ARE WE THERE YET???
all of the tracks just have a double note (quaver) symbol until they are actually played. – THEN the art for that track only is shown as a 15mm square thumbnail. That just doesn't seem right.

In that 4. FUSION & JAZZ folder there are 13516 tracks. For the hell of it, I'm doing a library update now, to see how long it takes: about 25% in three minutes, so looking like 12 minutes. It just won't be viable if I have to do that every time I change the card. (which is why I stopped using the library on the M3s).

EDIT: 26 minutes to update those files.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #743 of 965
Given that I think I know the answer to the above question, how do I get the album art to display? What I am getting so far out of this gazillion colours Android display is a bunch of monochrome rectangles, which is spectacularly unimpressive.

I'll try to flesh this question out a bit more. On my M3s I always play from the card (I do not update the library - takes far too long) because I have music on 4 different cards (two 1TB cards and two 512GB cards). It is not feasible to update the library because it will change as soon as I change the card.

However, on the M3s the album art is displayed as soon as I start playing something. On this M6 Pro 21 if i go through:
Shanling (app) ► Folders ► Micro SD Card ► 4. FUSION & JAZZ (my folder name) ► Bailey, Victor ► Bottom's Up ► ARE WE THERE YET???
all of the tracks just have a double note (quaver) symbol until they are actually played. That just doesn't seem right.

In that 4. FUSION & JAZZ folder there are 13516 tracks. For the hell of it, I'm doing a library update now, to see how long it takes: about 25% in three minutes, so looking like 12 minutes. It just won't be viable if I have to do that every time I change the card. (which is why I stopped using the library on the M3s)

There is page with some settup guide: https://en.shanling.com/article-AndroidSetup.html
There is now detailed manual.

In Shanling Music app, album art doesn't show up in folder browsing until you play the file. Library scan will add them (but not fully reliable, some will be still missing).
Does you album art show correctly on now playing screen?

If you demand to have album art visible while browsing files and without need to scan files, I can only recommend to install some third part music app.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 25, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #744 of 965
Ok, so after the update, the album shows up (which is what I expected, and why I did it). However, what will happen when I take the card out - does the library lose the info?

Why on earth does Shanling think that no detailed user manual is required for these complex devices?? It's completely insane! There is always this assumption that people have prior knowledge and can just adapt on the fly. Well I've never had an Android DAP before so I am very much in the dark - I may be able to stumble through and come across things accidentally, but how do I find out about stuff I don't know exists?

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #745 of 965
For everyone who asked about my device, it has been working with only some issues

- if I'm at a streaming app and change to another one, or to uapp / shanling app, sometimes the sound starts to cut a lot and I need to close all apps I'm not using, not only pause them (didn't need to do it with hiby r5 s). I'm not talking about 10 simultaneously open apps. I'm talking two, eg: Qobuz and Spotify, Tidal and Apple music...
- if I try to use some lauchers like Niagara, everytime my device turns off, when it turns on, it loses the default app as the launcher I had set before turning it off and goes back to the original one, hiby didn't do it.
-battery seems OK, didn't need to reset. Still monitoring though.
-it is slow at charging. Bought a 5v2a qc 3 charger and it is slow.

Nonetheless, it sounds good =) even with things like Beyer t1

Thank you all for the technical support =)

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #746 of 965
For everyone who asked about my device, it has been working with only some issues

- if I'm at a streaming app and change to another one, or to uapp / shanling app, sometimes the sound starts to cut a lot and I need to close all apps I'm not using, not only pause them (didn't need to do it with hiby r5 s). I'm not talking about 10 simultaneously open apps. I'm talking two, eg: Qobuz and Spotify, Tidal and Apple music...
- if I try to use some lauchers like Niagara, everytime my device turns off, when it turns on, it loses the default app as the launcher I had set before turning it off and goes back to the original one, hiby didn't do it.
-battery seems OK, didn't need to reset. Still monitoring though.
-it is slow at charging. Bought a 5v2a qc 3 charger and it is slow.

Nonetheless, it sounds good =) even with things like Beyer t1

Thank you all for the technical support =)
Does LED light up when charging with device powered off, and do you get a '% charged' display on single wheel-click?

Aug 25, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #747 of 965
Does LED light up when charging with device powered off, and do you get a '% charged' display on single wheel-click?
20210825_225439.jpg
20210825_225540.jpg

Yes, yes when I press and release the power button fast, now it shows this battery thingy

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #750 of 965

Yes, yes when I press and release the power button fast, now it shows this battery thingy
The only thing I've noticed is, I always charged it on. Now I'm charging it off for the second time ever (first time was the day it arrived with all the hassle from the 0% battery) It's been on 34% for 20 minutes now. Lol. I guess something is not right

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back