Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Dec 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #466 of 1,456
Eq is weird for sound in any aspects. I never use it.
NeutronMP 2.12.9 with eq off. Tried to resample, upres, dithering. Sounds not good. You can check it by yourself - simply switch between SH player and Neutron. Stock player rich, wide, deep. Neutron crisp, narrower, flat.

Are you sure you are not running Neutron in mono? Nayparm has shared his experience about this in a much earlier post.

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #469 of 1,456
hi all, does any one has experience with the ALL TO DSD player option, this is highly advertise on Fiio M11 as a key future, I personallly have serious doubts this does anything to sound quality but rather uses the full processor power to transcode to PCM to DSD. If your source files are PCM (i.e. FLAC) what good does it make ?

and second. what Shanglin strategy on this PCM to DSD?

Lastly, what the advantages of moving to 64bit android system in the future, will enable playing certaing codecs, i.e. SACD ISO DST, which smaller DAPs (lke mine fiio M9) can not platy? if so, is there an impact to battery life as 64 requires more processor capacity?

thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #470 of 1,456
If anybody is experiencing problem switching high/low gain, quick solution is to unplug and replug your earphones. At least before we release fix.

Buttons unlocked. This issue appear not every time. 3 from 5 times when I put my dap in pocket.

Will report to software team to look into this.

and second. what Shanglin strategy on this PCM to DSD?

This was big rage when DSD was new, I remember everybody was excited to get their new DACs with DSD support and then play all their PCM as DSD, so exciting that it sounded better. Did it really sounded better thanks to it being DSD? Or just because some manufacturers had better DSD implementation than PCM? Or was it something to do with particular DAC chip? Or just because there was different processing on DSD playback? Who knows, but I thought this early excitement died out some time ago.

We play PCM as PCM and DSD as DSD.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 17, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #471 of 1,456
My M6 chinese version is working very well with the update.
I am not sure but spotify is a lot sounding better after the update.
I only saw one bug with the Apple Airpods 2 (i am using it at the fitness training) when it's connected to bluetooth. Sometimes the volume level is not the same at the left and right side, when i slide the volume on the M6. It can be fixed by moving again the volume slider to other position.
Anyway i am very happy with the M6 in combined with Shanling Me500 Platinium. and the MEE700 is on the way

Dec 17, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #472 of 1,456
ok. what about the 64bit version coming soon on intl version? what this does? hopefully DST ISO files... this would be a nice playing compatibility addition and no just bit-war nonsense marketting.... other wise this 64b will suck up more battery, likewise, what are the benefits of Neutron 64b vs 32b ??

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #473 of 1,456
ok. what about the 64bit version coming soon on intl version? what this does? hopefully DST ISO files... this would be a nice playing compatibility addition and no just bit-war nonsense marketting.... other wise this 64b will suck up more battery, likewise, what are the benefits of Neutron 64b vs 32b ??

Even higher quality on Neutron ARM64

Due to the unique platform-independent software design Neutron's audio engine is capable of operating with 32-bit or 64-bit precision. All DSP processing is done in floating point format and then in the final output stage the floating point data is converted to the DACs native input format which is always a signed integer of 16 up to 32-bit width.

32-bit precision is useful to save CPU and battery because majority of CPUs have native hardware support 32-bit floating point arithmetic. It will provide enough resolution (SNR) for all modern DACs and amplifiers which is maximum 144.49 dB (we can use only fractional part of 32-bit floating point number for the output to the DAC which is 24-bit). Therefore 32-bit floating processing mode is the best common mode which provides a good trade off between CPU/power consumption and final sound quality.

64-bit precision moves the quality of the sound processing to the next level. Modern 64-bit CPUs offer native hardware support for 64-bit floating point math, so there is no much CPU overhead in comparison with 32-bit CPUs. Much higher precision allows to avoid the loss of the valuable bits with audio data during digital sound processing which normally is - Resampling and DSP effects. 64-bit precision allows to reach 192.66 dB SNR (for output in 32-bit integer format).

The loss of the valuable bits is causing the quantisation error which constantly accumulates inside the digital filters and intermediary variables. Quantization error affects the final sound quality making it more digital-like. Quantization error will always appear inside the processing chain if there is at least single intermediary truncation to the 32-bit value.

Neutron's audio engine is designed and developed carefully to avoid any internal truncation and guarantees true 64-bit processing from the decoding stage up to the final output. As a result with 64-bit processing the SNR ratio improves, that makes sound more soft and audibly pleasant to the listener.

Such degree of engineering dedication is not achievable by the common music classes provided by the operating system APIs on basis of which majority of music players are based and therefore Neutron's audio engine is one of the rare state of art exceptions which do audio processing right and with guaranteed result on any platform!

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #474 of 1,456
Neutron is built on top of own advanced audio engine which initially supported 64-bit audio rendering. Now 64-bit audio rendering core is unlocked for Neutron too.

Along with unlocking 64-bit audio rendering core there was possibility to increase precision of MP3 decoder to 64-bits.

What are the pros of using 64-bit Neutron?
  • Higher audio quality when active:
    • Resampling (if you have non 44.1 kHz music)
      Equalizer
      Surround
      Crossfeeding
What are the cons?
  • Higher CPU consumption. Currently ARM NEON SIMD supports only 32-bit floating point numbers thus there is no possibility of to accelerate performance due to parallel calculations done by NEON. Only VFP CPU unit (math co-processor) is used for math and it may be the case that different CPU models will deliver different performance even having same cache and frequency, all will depend on how well VFP is designed by CPU producer.
Even though NEON instructions are not used for audio rendering they are used for visualization of spectrum analyzer, AGP and some other things. So, NEON helps to compensate increased CPU usage.

There is also non-NEON version for Tegra 2 users and those whose CPU does not have NEON SIMD implemented.

64-bit version increases quality but you shall decide for your self whether you really need 64-bit processing when using Neutron on mobile device running on battery. If you have charger nearby or keep device constantly connected to external power supply then 64-bit Neutron is always recommended.

If you are using high-quality external speakers and amplifier then you will notice difference between 32 and 64 bit processing. It is also true for high quality car audio system. May be somebody has very precise hearing then 64-bits are also for you.

Dec 17, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #477 of 1,456
Just read that the Neutron Hi-Res implementation for Fiio M9 DAPs is only PCM, native DSD absent due to firmware.

So you should be good on the M6, do you know where i can download a test SACD ISO ?

Dec 17, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #478 of 1,456
I asked Shanling support via email about DST decoding capability on M6, the answer is NO for the moment, but planned for the future, when I asked Fiio suuport, I found there there are types of SACD ISO´s, the DST is one that requires more power (decoding I suppose), this was very unfortunate since I have many ISO, which are ISO SACD rips in DST. I was hopping this M6 would be capable and maybe is tied to the 64 bit implementation, or maybe current 32bit plus Neutron would play these DST´s not sure...... I can share a SACD ISO file trough google drive, let me know..

Dec 18, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #480 of 1,456
Sure this would be an option, but when spending the time to convert my SACD iso rips, I seriously thinking about using flac 24/88.2 better, I´m having a hard time really appreciating the benfefit of DSD over FLAC hires. I have made some A-to-B on my home system, using Jriver-Ygdrassil.....

Jriver handles about every format, no need to convert. any toughts DSD vs Flac hires?

sorry for getting a bit off track. Still I would like to hear from Shanling on M6 DST capability implementation, this really would save sd sotorage space keeing files in DST, as supose to code them to DSF/DFF.

this M6 hardware should have the capabilities, i.e. fiio M11 does it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back