Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #977 of 2,497
Do we actually think sound quality varies alot from dap to dap? I was listening to the out dated first gen fiio x5 last night through Focal Clears. The sound was very good. And Im no amateur

Well lets be more specific, I don't think sound quality varies much between DAP's in the same price range. For example I recently had the chance to try a Fiio M7 and compare it to my M0 and they sounded virtually identical to me despite have different DAC's. Lets face it most DAP's are designed to be as neutral sounding as possible so not surprising they sound very similar. With most manufacturers having the same goal for the sound why would you expect them to sound that much different?

I find the more expensive DAP's tend to have a warmer sound in general. So again I would expect them to sound quite similar to others in their price range with only very minor differences.

The headphones used will have the greatest affect on what you hear. Use the same headphones to demo all the same DAP's and properly volume matched I doubt you will hear any significant differences in the same price range.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #978 of 2,497
i've been using my M5S for about 1 1/2 weeks now... and i'm very, very... pleased with it.

I woul like to know when a decent review from this DAP will be released.??

@Shanling - When will a new firmware be released to adress the Portuguese signs problems in the song names.??? and a stability one because of the crashes (3 times in 1 week, with last FW1.4) Thanks.

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #979 of 2,497
i've been using my M5S for about 1 1/2 weeks now... and i'm very, very... pleased with it.

@Shanling - When will a new firmware be released to adress the Portuguese signs problems in the song names.??? and a stability one because of the crashes (3 times in 1 week, with last FW1.4) Thanks.
Here’s a suggestion. Why don’t you be the first to post a detailed review? I and many others would love to know what you think, seeing as you are actually using it!!!

I am not being sarcastic - take 30min and put together your thoughts in detail. We would be grateful!

Nov 28, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #980 of 2,497
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #981 of 2,497
We all hope that M5s will live up to all hype going around! Some of us, humbly including myself, made an order and can't wait to put our hands on this player so any feedback from existing users are always welcomed. Especially the positive one, lol!

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #984 of 2,497
Good news, musicteck in the US told me they expect to receive their shipment from shanling on Friday or Monday and can ship out thereafter.

I should get my hands on one next week.

Nov 28, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #985 of 2,497
@Shanling - when you have the Auto-stanby option on - "after 1 min. of idle device go in standby mode.

Current funtion is - to resume playback you need to wake the screen and then press play in the touch screen.

Is it possible to just to press the external play/pause botton to resume playback, without waking the screen.

Note: desabeling the option above battery drain is the double and pressing the external play/pause does resume, but i only get 8h of play in balanced or less...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #986 of 2,497

Next firmware is focusing on fixes and adjusting performance of the system. Should be coming soon.

We know about few languages that our system has currently problem with, there will be some needed changes to fonts.

@El Fuinha I suppose that up to now there are only 2 lucky customers in this forums got the beautiful Shanling M5s in hands ( you know who:gs1000smile::ksc75smile:). Besides that, @twister6 also has the M5s demo unit. Looking for his review! Don't know why shanling seems to have limited supply!

We have limited supply due to low availability of DAC in the beginning of production. You only managed to buy one unit from samples that was send to Vietnamese distributor and that was meant to be store and review samples.

@Shanling - when you have the Auto-stanby option on - "after 1 min. of idle device go in standby mode.

Current funtion is - to resume playback you need to wake the screen and then press play in the touch screen.

Is it possible to just to press the external play/pause botton to resume playback, without waking the screen.

Note: desabeling the option above battery drain is the double and pressing the external play/pause does resume, but i only get 8h of play in balanced or less...

There will be no changes to Standby mode, at current state we already are getting complains that it's too easy to wake up device, so making it any easier is not planned.

If you disable Standby, your device is working on 100% at all the times. So no wonder your battery life is lower.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 29, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #987 of 2,497
@vodanhkhack I used to be in possession of Shanling M1, iBasso DX150 and I moved on to stick to M3s.
I also had a titan grey M3s before. So that why this time I get the ... black M5s. The titan gey M5s also looks good and "lighter" than the black one. Which colour did you order?
@Shanling your distributor still has 3 more M5s for demo / review. They did good jobs. There are several video, promotion of M5s in the media in Vietnam. Seems to be some very first promotion of M5s so far:astonished:

Nov 30, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #988 of 2,497
Finally got an email from Musictek in the USA that they have the Shanling M5s ready for shipping. Ordered one and it is already dispatched. Eagerly awaiting its arrival at my house.

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #989 of 2,497
Finally got an email from Musictek in the USA that they have the Shanling M5s ready for shipping. Ordered one and it is already dispatched. Eagerly awaiting its arrival at my house.
Yep, I had it pre-ordered and it shipped yesterday. Should get it Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to try this one out. Hopefully I can sell my hiby r6 after listening to it and avoid having to go up to a dx200 or Sony wm1a....

Nov 30, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #990 of 2,497
Yep, I had it pre-ordered and it shipped yesterday. Should get it Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to try this one out. Hopefully I can sell my hiby r6 after listening to it and avoid having to go up to a dx200 or Sony wm1a....
I'm looking forward for your impressions on the m5s against the R6. It would be really interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back