Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Sep 20, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #635 of 2,497
This looks like a definite winner, and probably will set the bar for the next round of DAPs.
Nice sounds good. What is this advanced bar that will make this shine? Just wondering, to wait or get a ibasso 150 thx[/QUOTE]
The DAC setup is a step up from everything else around this price point, so from a "on paper" perspective the Stats are quite impressive and there dont seem to be any glaring oversights (except possibly the Wifi issue).

The dx150 has dual DACs but they're a step down. 160-200 dollar amp modules at that price point are a bit much IMO.

Unless you need switchable amps, i would wait to see how the reviews on this come out....

Sep 20, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #636 of 2,497
Nice sounds good. What is this advanced bar that will make this shine? Just wondering, to wait or get a ibasso 150 thx
The DAC setup is a step up from everything else around this price point, so from a "on paper" perspective the Stats are quite impressive and there dont seem to be any glaring oversights (except possibly the Wifi issue).

The dx150 has dual DACs but they're a step down. 160-200 dollar amp modules at that price point are a bit much IMO.

Unless you need switchable amps, i would wait to see how the reviews on this come out....[/QUOTE]
What wifi issues? I must have missed that

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #637 of 2,497
Will see, I hope we will manage to move most of elements to M0.

Outstanding. I have the M0 on hand right now and really like it. Especially with the touchscreen. Typically-wonderful Shanling sound (I'm smitten!!), and quality. The M0 is very nice, so the M5s should be stellar.

Keep up the great work!

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #638 of 2,497
Wow It looks great, just waiting for the official word on pricing plus a review.
PS Nice legs...

$429USD. Killer price and features for that range.

Sep 20, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #639 of 2,497
Sep 20, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #640 of 2,497
In my personal experience, looking for a checklist of features is not the most productive way to approach the value of technology, but I'm not really a specs kinda guy to begin with. That said, the M5s' DAC section having two of the latest AKM "Velvety Smoove" [/realname] chips is worth consideration. As well as both balanced wired and LDAC bluetooth support. Obviously, implementation matters more so that's why I'm waiting for the reviews. I'm also really digging the industrial design of the M5s and what I've seen so far of the OS. As a former owner of the M5, this seems like a worthy refresh.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #641 of 2,497
In my personal experience, looking for a checklist of features is not the most productive way to approach the value of technology, but I'm not really a specs kinda guy to begin with. That said, the M5s' DAC section having two of the latest AKM "Velvety Smoove" [/realname] chips is worth consideration. As well as both balanced wired and LDAC bluetooth support. Obviously, implementation matters more so that's why I'm waiting for the reviews. I'm also really digging the industrial design of the M5s and what I've seen so far of the OS. As a former owner of the M5, this seems like a worthy refresh.

So... you have experience you've looked at features checklists and it wasn't a productive approach.
I think to me is simpler. I wish sine daps out there had features that the M5S has, so yes, I want more for my money.

Sep 20, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #642 of 2,497
"if there is any problem, be prepared to ship your player back to Chinese seller"
Why cant I send it direct to you?

“Any problems.” Are u suggesting that any warranty claims will not be addressed?

Shanling is not set up for direct sales or warranty support for international market. That's why we have distributors in most countries around the world to take care of this.

If you decide to skip on your local distributor and go with Chinese or grey market seller instead, any warranty claims must be addressed to them. You will probably need to ship your unit back to China to the seller and he will then send it to us for repair. After that we will ship it back to seller and he will ship it to you.

Interesting sales tactic, try to convince people they shouldn't order early and make them want it even more, I like it, very reverse psychology of you!! :) So my guess of $399.00 wasn't that far off, half a pat on the back for me.

Well, there will always be the ones "I need it immediately types of guys", just want to be clear with them before they start crying in my email about Chinese seller that ignores them.
Sorry, we are not international corporation, we don't have worldwide warranty, neither services place in your town.

I hope it supports Tidal because i can't see anything related to streaming in that video.

Streaming apps are still in works.

Regarding the "key feature", apart from openness of Android, I think M5s has all you can get from DAP.

Powerful balanced output? Check
Low output impedance? Check
Newest DAC that's tier above its predecessor? Check
LDAC for best quality streaming from your phone? Check
Wi-Fi for DLNA and airplay? Check
Touch screen and easy UI? Check
USB Transport? Check
Good dimensions for travel? Check

Continuous software development from company? Check

Maybe there isn't some huge feature setting it apart from other DAPs, but rarely any DAP in this price has that. But try to find some that will pack as much as M5s.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #643 of 2,497
All we need now is reviews of whether it hisses with high sensitivity low impedance IEMs.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #644 of 2,497
...I think M5s has all you can get from DAP.

Powerful balanced output? Check
Low output impedance? Check
Newest DAC that's tier above its predecessor? Check
LDAC for best quality streaming from your phone? Check
Wi-Fi for DLNA and airplay? Check
Touch screen and easy UI? Check
USB Transport? Check
Good dimensions for travel? Check
Continuous software development from company? Check

Maybe there isn't some huge feature setting it apart from other DAPs, but rarely any DAP in this price has that. But try to find some that will pack as much as M5s.
OK, OK, you sold me @Shanling...when can I buy?

LOL...

Sep 21, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #645 of 2,497
What wifi issues? I must have missed that
Basically they're working on making streaming apps functional but it won't ship and be able to stream. A deal killer for some until that's implemented....

But I agree with @Shanling this has everything you would need . I think it'll be hard for people to justify not spending a little more to get this versus the likes of cayin n5ii and fiio x5iii. And assuming the sound holds up I think this is a much more obvious choice than the dx150, and if the sound is on par with the hiby r6 this is both cheaper and doesn't have the impedance issue.

And I agree about hissing with sensitive IEMs. This needs to have sufficient gain options or other features to eliminate any hiss.... As usual, my Andromeda will be the judge of that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back