Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #466 of 2,497
Sep 5, 2018 at 9:47 PM Post #467 of 2,497
Ok.
Another question.
Can I pre-order or buy it direct from shanling?
When are you planning to start shipping units to international dealers
+

We are only selling directly in China.

@Shanling: Any accessories (cases, screen protectors or armbands) available at launch?

Leather case should be ready, not sure what's state on screen protector. No arm band planned for M5s, it's kind of too big for running device.

Sorry to ask such a basic question but what card formats will work with Shanling’s OS? Can I just use ExFAT?

Apart from one early slip in development of system, where FAT32 was needed for firmware update, you can easily run on our new system with ExFAT.

A lot of chinese daps from aliexpress like zishan can compete it...
M0 is nothing for me and for my Iems
Just very small dap.
Thats the fact for me.

Random chinese DAPs from aliexpress can compete with M0? Which of them offers LDAC? Bi-directional bluetooth and USB? Touch interface? Self developed system with constant updates?

Also sorry for delays with responses, we are now moving our offices and factory, so little bit mess in here.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 6, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #468 of 2,497
Shanling said that the M1 and M2s are being phased out, and that the M3s will see a production run in September. It was not clear (at least to me) whether this is one of the last production runs or not. They did say that it will be sent to "selected vendors", which may (or may not) imply that the M3s days are definitely not limitless, if maybe not numbered. As long as M3s IS there, your guess does sound quite reasonable - or maybe something a tad lower, like $349.

I seem to recall Shanling expressing further interest in the nano DAP market. This could mean at some point the M1/M2S could appear in a single nano size DAP hopefully with a bigger screen than the M0 and with hardware buttons. The other question is will Shanling be releasing a true flagship DAP above the M5S like the Cayin just released N8? If they plan to then they won't want to price the M5S to far out of line with their other DAP's.

Personally I would love to see an updated M3S with the new OS, and an updated feature set. I think that would be a perfect DAP for me, the M5S will likely be much higher in Canada ($500+) if it is even released here. But I'll wait and see what happens once it gets released.

Sep 6, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #470 of 2,497
Apart from one early slip in development of system, where FAT32 was needed for firmware update, you can easily run on our new system with ExFAT.

Also sorry for delays with responses, we are now moving our offices and factory, so little bit mess in here.

Thanks for the reply!

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #471 of 2,497
Hi Frankie, What do you consider will be the killer feature that the M5S has that the M0 doesn't?

I really like the M0 - its sound quality to me is 99% of my Hugo 2, and shooting for that last 1% is always a risky roll-of-the-dice purchase. Also, the M0's noise floor is basically zero even with my most sensitive IEMs. It's just awesome. My experience with noise floors on other DAPs has been something of a (mostly negative) crapshoot - and you never really find out the bad news until after the purchase :wink:

I don't use Apple's ecosystem anymore, so I wouldn't use Airplay, and I'm fine updating via an SD card. It's a safe bet that the WiFi will never support offline Tidal.

I know there are people that wanted something bigger than the M0, but I'd actually prefer something smaller. I'm serious. So the bigger size isn't a plus for me.

I guess there may be a bit better channel separation using balanaced outputs, but there are devices (H2) that still beat the M5S specs via their SE outputs. So I wonder if the days of balanced cables/connectors might be coming to an end? I have balanced cables for most of my headphones, but then need to use an adapter/dongle thing to connect to a regular SE output. And using dongles just makes me feel like an exploited Apple customer.

So Shanling fans - what's the must-have feature in the M5S that you're currently missing in the M0?

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #472 of 2,497
Hi Frankie, What do you consider will be the killer feature that the M5S has that the M0 doesn't?

I really like the M0 - its sound quality to me is 99% of my Hugo 2, and shooting for that last 1% is always a risky roll-of-the-dice purchase. Also, the M0's noise floor is basically zero even with my most sensitive IEMs. It's just awesome. My experience with noise floors on other DAPs has been something of a (mostly negative) crapshoot - and you never really find out the bad news until after the purchase :wink:

I don't use Apple's ecosystem anymore, so I wouldn't use Airplay, and I'm fine updating via an SD card. It's a safe bet that the WiFi will never support offline Tidal.

I know there are people that wanted something bigger than the M0, but I'd actually prefer something smaller. I'm serious. So the bigger size isn't a plus for me.

I guess there may be a bit better channel separation using balanaced outputs, but there are devices (H2) that still beat the M5S specs via their SE outputs. So I wonder if the days of balanced cables/connectors might be coming to an end? I have balanced cables for most of my headphones, but then need to use an adapter/dongle thing to connect to a regular SE output. And using dongles just makes me feel like an exploited Apple customer.

So Shanling fans - what's the must-have feature in the M5S that you're currently missing in the M0?

That’s a good question, I guess a bigger soundstage more power and bigger screen, possibility of tidal - I like smaller daps myself

Sep 7, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #473 of 2,497

I really like the M0 - its sound quality to me is 99% of my Hugo 2, and shooting for that last 1% is always a risky roll-of-the-dice purchase ...
If you're looking for that extra 1%, Michael, over at Headfonics, rates the Hidizs AP80 more highly than the M0.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #475 of 2,497
Yeah I have that one on order myself

So how many DAP's will that make for you? I find it hard enough to make use of two and only use my A17 when the wife has the M0 and I plan to pass that one on to my nephew. At least if Shanling comes through with replaygain and external playlist support that is. So @Shanling admitted the M5S is taking fw development time away from the M0 right now. Non thrilled about that but what can you do. If the M5S is released in October makes me wonder how long the fw update for M0 will be pushed back? This kind of thing makes we wonder if I want to invest in another Chinese DAP down the road.

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #476 of 2,497
So how many DAP's will that make for you? I find it hard enough to make use of two and only use my A17 when the wife has the M0 and I plan to pass that one on to my nephew. At least if Shanling comes through with replaygain and external playlist support that is. So @Shanling admitted the M5S is taking fw development time away from the M0 right now. Non thrilled about that but what can you do. If the M5S is released in October makes me wonder how long the fw update for M0 will be pushed back? This kind of thing makes we wonder if I want to invest in another Chinese DAP down the road.

4 daps, but I love small electronics and always have so it’s like one of my hobbies :) I just mainly listen to albums and a few playlists. I love small daps and M0 is like my work out dap and doing yardwork and chores dap. I don’t ever use replaygain myself so that’s not a big deal. Although AP80 already has it. It has hardware controls and hiby software which I like.

I have a Sansa clip rockboxed that doesn’t really hold a charge anymore and an ak70 and an old iPod Nano and several old cowons that I never use. I returned my a45 because I liked the sound with the iems I use better on the M0. I also had a zx300 but I had my money tied up for a while and sold it - very nice unit.

I think you would have been happier with the a45 and for a while they were really cheap ( don’t know if they’re still available for 140 bucks ) I got mine even cheaper. But you know Sony usually has pretty stable firmware and maybe will have 1 update or so.

I’m happy with M0, I just like daps :wink:

I’ve had lots of Chinese daps and most have been really nice. I also mostly use folder view so I don’t have many issues- I didn’t like Cayin n3 because I didn’t like the capacitive buttons, or Cayin n5ii because I thought it sounded a little too thin and the screen was crappy.

I did like Shanling M2s but the sound was just a little to warm for me- didn’t sound bad at all, just not my preferred sig. most sound really similar to me, with the exception of some have a bit more hiss, and different soundstage presentations and of course different power outputs.

The most important thing is having good iems and cans and then how the output stage and how low pass filter is implemented. Modern dacs have specs beyond human hearing anyways so it’s more about the output stage and headphones and power like I said.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #477 of 2,497
The problem I see here for Shanling is that the M0 is so good in terms of SQ and features (with even HiBy Link promised for a future update), that I don't see any real killer features that it's missing. I suspect the M0 is going to eat a large portion of the M5S's lunch.

Sep 7, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #478 of 2,497
The problem I see here for Shanling is that the M0 is so good in terms of SQ and features (with even HiBy Link promised for a future update), that I don't see any real killer features that it's missing. I suspect the M0 is going to eat a large portion of the M5S's lunch.

M0 really does have a lot going for it, that’s for sure.

Sep 7, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #479 of 2,497
4 daps, but I love small electronics and always have so it’s like one of my hobbies :) I just mainly listen to albums and a few playlists. I love small daps and M0 is like my work out dap and doing yardwork and chores dap. I don’t ever use replaygain myself so that’s not a big deal. Although AP80 already has it. It has hardware controls and hiby software which I like.

I have a Sansa clip rockboxed that doesn’t really hold a charge anymore and an ak70 and an old iPod Nano and several old cowons that I never use. I returned my a45 because I liked the sound with the iems I use better on the M0. I also had a zx300 but I had my money tied up for a while and sold it - very nice unit.

I think you would have been happier with the a45 and for a while they were really cheap ( don’t know if they’re still available for 140 bucks ) I got mine even cheaper. But you know Sony usually has pretty stable firmware and maybe will have 1 update or so.

I’m happy with M0, I just like daps :wink:

I’ve had lots of Chinese daps and most have been really nice. I also mostly use folder view so I don’t have many issues- I didn’t like Cayin n3 because I didn’t like the capacitive buttons, or Cayin n5ii because I thought it sounded a little too thin and the screen was crappy.

I did like Shanling M2s but the sound was just a little to warm for me- didn’t sound bad at all, just not my preferred sig. most sound really similar to me, with the exception of some have a bit more hiss, and different soundstage presentations and of course different power outputs.

The most important thing is having good iems and cans and then how the output stage and how low pass filter is implemented. Modern dacs have specs beyond human hearing anyways so it’s more about the output stage and headphones and power like I said.

I don't know I tried the A35 and found it lacking in power and I actually still prefer the smaller more portable size of the M0. I still hold out hope that a firmware update will address some issues I have. I mentioned already that a glitch I had charging the M0 actually helped with the touch sensitivity and it doesn't seem to scroll as long or as fast either. As for the price of the A45 no it isn't cheap anymore, bhphotovideo would be the best source for me to import from US and the price is back to $218.00 US $288.00 CDN. So it is actually slightly cheaper to buy in Canada now at $279.00. Not really in a position financially to drop $300.00 on another DAP. Held out hope the A55 would be a little better but it is really just the A45 with some minor changes and no extra power.

I like DAP's to but at this point in my life I don't have the time or the money to really pursue it as a serious hobby anymore. Now a DAP is a purposeful device for me as apposed to a serious hobby.

At this point the M5S is more a fantasy than a reality, I can still dream of owning a DAP like but can't really afford to make the dream a reality.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #480 of 2,497
I don't know I tried the A35 and found it lacking in power and I actually still prefer the smaller more portable size of the M0. I still hold out hope that a firmware update will address some issues I have. I mentioned already that a glitch I had charging the M0 actually helped with the touch sensitivity and it doesn't seem to scroll as long or as fast either. As for the price of the A45 no it isn't cheap anymore, bhphotovideo would be the best source for me to import from US and the price is back to $218.00 US $288.00 CDN. So it is actually slightly cheaper to buy in Canada now at $279.00. Not really in a position financially to drop $300.00 on another DAP. Held out hope the A55 would be a little better but it is really just the A45 with some minor changes and no extra power.

I like DAP's to but at this point in my life I don't have the time or the money to really pursue it as a serious hobby anymore. Now a DAP is a purposeful device for me as apposed to a serious hobby.

At this point the M5S is more a fantasy than a reality, I can still dream of owning a DAP like but can't really afford to make the dream a reality.

Oh I forgot you were up north, A45 had a bit more power than A35 but you can do better than that at that price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back