Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Sep 5, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #436 of 2,497
I don't see that being the case, I mean between the M0 at $110.00 US and M5S you have the M1, M2S and M3s. If you price the M5S at $299.00 that leaves no room for the other models price wise. The M3S is $279.00 US and the M2S $199.00 right now so how could they possibly price a higher end model only $20.00 higher than the M3S? Based on current pricing I would guess around $399.00 US would be more realistic.

Shanling said that the M1 and M2s are being phased out, and that the M3s will see a production run in September. It was not clear (at least to me) whether this is one of the last production runs or not. They did say that it will be sent to "selected vendors", which may (or may not) imply that the M3s days are definitely not limitless, if maybe not numbered. As long as M3s IS there, your guess does sound quite reasonable - or maybe something a tad lower, like $349.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #437 of 2,497
Shanling said that the M1 and M2s are being phased out, and that the M3s will see a production run in September. It was not clear (at least to me) whether this is one of the last production runs or not. They did say that it will be sent to "selected vendors", which may (or may not) imply that the M3s days are definitely not limitless, if maybe not numbered. As long as M3s IS there, your guess does sound quite reasonable - or maybe something a tad lower, like $349.
At $349, these will sell like hotcakes (and I will preorder it immediately), but i doubt it will be $349, more like $389 or $399.

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #438 of 2,497
1. Lot of people prefer non-android system(with ldac and AirPlay me too)
2. Each amp costs 200$ more. So the price is not 500$, but 700-900-...
Don’t forget about dimensions and weight of dx150. It is not superportable
But for its sound signature with AMP8 I accept it. But I’m looking...
Are we certain that the DX120 is android based? That could potentially be a deal breaker for me

Sep 5, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #439 of 2,497
Are we certain that the DX120 is android based? That could potentially be a deal breaker for me
dx120 is not android based, it uses ibasso's mango os. btw, you are confusing dx150 with dx120, they are different daps.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #446 of 2,497
499-599$ minimum. new dacs, AirPlay and ldac won’t cost less than current m5

The fact Shanling is going non-android with their own homegrown OS should reduce design costs quite a bit. Their new Mtouch OS is super lean and simple and doesn't require alot of resources to run unlike an android based device. Try the M0, there isn't a lag issue and it is quite responsive and this isn't exactly an uber powerful DAP. Shanling stated in the M0 thread that they plan to be very price conscious with their new DAP's and the M0 is proof of that. No other DAP in the $100 price range can compare to the M0 in terms of sound quality and performance from what I can see. This should bode well for the M5S.

Sep 5, 2018 at 5:57 AM Post #447 of 2,497
No other DAP in the $100 price range can compare to the M0 in terms of sound quality and performance from what I can see.
A lot of chinese daps from aliexpress like zishan can compete it...
M0 is nothing for me and for my Iems
Just very small dap.
Thats the fact for me.

I can pay more for goods SQ and I dont think that 500-600 is too much.
Look at the price of Sony, Hifiman, Cayin, AK, OPUS flagmans etc

Sep 5, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #448 of 2,497
The fact Shanling is going non-android with their own homegrown OS should reduce design costs quite a bit. Their new Mtouch OS is super lean and simple and doesn't require alot of resources to run unlike an android based device. Try the M0, there isn't a lag issue and it is quite responsive and this isn't exactly an uber powerful DAP. Shanling stated in the M0 thread that they plan to be very price conscious with their new DAP's and the M0 is proof of that. No other DAP in the $100 price range can compare to the M0 in terms of sound quality and performance from what I can see. This should bode well for the M5S.

The M0 does not handle album art with file lists so that speeds things up a fair bit.
If they stick to the same format it should be as quick.
If they have album art it may slow things down.

Sep 5, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #449 of 2,497
Why? If the sq of m5s will be better than r6 and on pair with stock dx150 I’d prefer m5s
(I’ve owned hiby r6 and the owner of dx150)
The dx150 has dual ak4490eq's. That alone is essentially a deal breaker at this point. Ibasso has great engineers but it's a hard sell to not go for the dx200 in their line. The dx120 should fill what i see as a void, but from what I see, they're leaving out some key specs, including dual DAC. This m5s looks to be a real winner if the price is right, and if the ak4493 is a decent upgrade over the 4490.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back