Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Sep 7, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #481 of 2,497
So how many DAP's will that make for you? I find it hard enough to make use of two and only use my A17 when the wife has the M0 and I plan to pass that one on to my nephew. At least if Shanling comes through with replaygain and external playlist support that is. So @Shanling admitted the M5S is taking fw development time away from the M0 right now. Non thrilled about that but what can you do. If the M5S is released in October makes me wonder how long the fw update for M0 will be pushed back? This kind of thing makes we wonder if I want to invest in another Chinese DAP down the road.

Look at it this way. With the added focus on the m5s, as long as they push the same developments downstream to the m0 then firmware updates may happen more quickly after all!

Been using my m0 this week and really like it. I'm pretty much an album listener so the playlist issue isn't one for me. Two things I'd like to see improved. a)better gapless on mp3, though this seems to be a thing with the format. Flac and Alac both play gaplessly. I'll leave you to guess what b) is :) :)

Sep 7, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #484 of 2,497
Look at it this way. With the added focus on the m5s, as long as they push the same developments downstream to the m0 then firmware updates may happen more quickly after all!

Been using my m0 this week and really like it. I'm pretty much an album listener so the playlist issue isn't one for me. Two things I'd like to see improved. a)better gapless on mp3, though this seems to be a thing with the format. Flac and Alac both play gaplessly. I'll leave you to guess what b) is :) :)

Yeah I noticed gapless not working on mp3, when gapless is on playing an mp3 for me it just stops after the song and doesn't play the next track. Seems to play fine with flac and ogg files for me so I have to leave it off as I have a big mix of all 3 formats and I listen to all tracks in shuffle mode.

As for B) that pod-book audio cast support thingy I'm guessing.:) Though I seem to recall @Shanling poopooing the idea of adding support for it to the M5S. So whatever fw update they release for the M5S likely won't include that support.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #485 of 2,497
VCR capabilities? A built-in coffee-cup holder? Come on, tell us - I can't take the suspense!

VCR! dude its a music player, I would have gone 8 Track playback or AM radio, and its to small to hold a coffee cup. A condom pocket might be useful though, that way when the right song comes on to get you in the mood you'll be ready. :couple_with_heart:

I hope @Shanling is reading this post, these ideas are pure gold. :beerchug:

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #486 of 2,497
I've got the M3s and I'm so looking forward to the M5s, but I've got to say the M0 is an amazing device and I'm constantly using it.
I've got it paired with a pair of Aftershokz Trekz Air and though not sonically great, the combination of the tiny M0 and not being cut of from the world around me, means I've always got music in my head...

I honestly feel the M0 is a design classic...

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #487 of 2,497
I've got the M3s and I'm so looking forward to the M5s, but I've got to say the M0 is an amazing device and I'm constantly using it.
I've got it paired with a pair of Aftershokz Trekz Air and though not sonically great, the combination of the tiny M0 and not being cut of from the world around me, means I've always got music in my head...

I honestly feel the M0 is a design classic...
To be fair the RUIZU A50 did it first. Then Shanling came along and did it better. :)

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #488 of 2,497
Definitely better, I'm not sure what else you could wish for in a small DAP that won't be implemented with further firmware updates and the phone app when available, I truly believe this is a gem that not many people even know exist.

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #489 of 2,497
Just went through the last 10 pages and I see the price is not set yet. Imo, with the current pricing of the market, I don't see this can go anywhere lower than 449$, 499$ almost certainly.
With Shanling's track record, there's no doubt that the M5s will sound amazing, and it does seem to solve many of it's predecessor problems, so it's pretty much perfect now.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #490 of 2,497
To be fair the RUIZU A50 did it first. Then Shanling came along and did it better. :)
Didn't the M1 come out before the A50? Thought the M1 intro'd towards the end of 2016, and the A50 came out in 2017. If I have the correct time line. And the M1 would be the comparable model to the A50, not the M0. The M0 is pretty much a new class in this modern DAP age. There is no comparable model to it.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #491 of 2,497
Didn't the M1 come out before the A50? Thought the M1 intro'd towards the end of 2016, and the A50 came out in 2017. If I have the correct time line. And the M1 would be the comparable model to the A50, not the M0. The M0 is pretty much a new class in this modern DAP age. There is no comparable model to it.
You're right. I forgot the M1, which indeed come before the A50. Thanks for pointing that out.:thumbsup:

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #493 of 2,497

Considering the form factor and ui is very reminiscent to apples nano series that's a little strong. To say there is no available model comparable to it atm might be more to the point :)

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #494 of 2,497
@davidcotton true on the (general) form factor and UI, though the M0 is quite a bit thicker than the Nano, plus (to my ears, and based on memory, which sometimes can be a treacherous bitch :) ) the M0 sounds way better ... my use scenario for the Apple Nano was in the car with MP3s (and it was perfect for that job, had no complaints at all), while with the M0 I'm very happy with lossless and good IEMs.... and that wasn't the case with the Apple Nano :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back