Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jun 17, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #2,341 of 2,497
Hi folks, I've bought M5s week ago and I'm very satisfied with the sound and when I am not, I can still change the low-pass filter :)
But I have one problem. After booting, the player still starts on the same song and at the same time. Not every time, but this condition has persisted since buying it. Firmware is Ver. 3.7
Is this a known issue? Or maybe a bad SD Card?
Thank you.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #2,342 of 2,497
Hi folks, I've bought M5s week ago and I'm very satisfied with the sound and when I am not, I can still change the low-pass filter :)
But I have one problem. After booting, the player still starts on the same song and at the same time. Not every time, but this condition has persisted since buying it. Firmware is Ver. 3.7
Is this a known issue? Or maybe a bad SD Card?
Thank you.

Please check how you have set the resume mode in Playback setting. You can try to turn it off and restart, it sometimes helps.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 18, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #2,343 of 2,497
Hello @Shanling i updated to 3.7 a couple of days ago and no I can't connect the M5s to any of the paired BT devices. I've deleted all pairings, re-paired them, rebooted all devices and attempted to connect. I keep getting failed to connect errors on devices that used to work. Is this a known issue in 3.7? Is there a fix?

Jun 18, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #2,344 of 2,497
Hello @Shanling i updated to 3.7 a couple of days ago and no I can't connect the M5s to any of the paired BT devices. I've deleted all pairings, re-paired them, rebooted all devices and attempted to connect. I keep getting failed to connect errors on devices that used to work. Is this a known issue in 3.7? Is there a fix?

We don't have such reports from other users.

Please try to perform factory reset of M5s. Or try to downgrade to lower firmware, to see if that helps.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,345 of 2,497
Hello @Shanling ive got a request for next firmware: if I have 2 albums by of the same name name but by different artists they show up as 1 album under album view. I have several albums like this. For example DREAMTIME by Robert Plant and DREAMTIME by Spyro Gyra. When I go to Album View, I only get one DREAMTIME and when I click all the songs from both albums are together. It should show up as 2 different albums. This should be an easy fix and I hope you can make it.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,346 of 2,497
Hi all!

It also happens to mine when I select by artist or album. The player returns to the last album you left interrupted without letting it finish just before turning it off.

The problem is summarized as follows:

Case 1. You let the album finish (or just play the last few seconds of the last track). The player forgets it when turning it off and on.

Case 2. You don't let the album finish. The player forgets it when turning it off and on twice. This clears the resume point.

On the other hand, some characters in the flacs´ internal tags (title field) still do not display correctly after the latest fw updates:

02. ii. stürmisch bewegt, mit größter vehemenz

01. i. sehr mäßig bewegt

03. iii. hyää iltaa. jää hyvästi

The word "canções" is correctly displayed in this example:

10. modinhas e canções, series 2. no. 4. mando tiro, tiro lá (arr. for harmonica and orchestra)

But bad in this other:

02. modinhas e canções, series 1. no. 7. evocação (arr. for harmonica and orchestra)

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #2,347 of 2,497
Hi, after some weeks, I can say what I like or dislike about M5s. Except sound, which is great for me :)
+ Fast boot and reactions
+ EQ does not affect sound quality (my previous DAPs did)
+ Good format and .cue compatibility
+ Newly introduced Filter "Low-Dispersion Short Delay" is very interesting and good choice for some of my IEMs.

- Without the case, it slides from the hand
- No shortcuts on main wheel (It is confused to alternate M5s with M0)
- I would wish a brigter display on sunny days

Aug 12, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #2,348 of 2,497
You can’t set the button to play/pause like on the m0?

How would you guys say the m5s stands up against the Hiby r3pro and the hidizs ap80pro? I really love my m0 but I want a bigger screen/better usability.

Aug 12, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #2,349 of 2,497
You can’t set the button to play/pause like on the m0?

How would you guys say the m5s stands up against the Hiby r3pro and the hidizs ap80pro? I really love my m0 but I want a bigger screen/better usability.

You already have the 3 buttons on the other side. so the wheel has no extra features (double-click to turn the screen is available)

I'd rate M5s>R3Pro>AP80Pro
if you liked the M0 you may consider the Q1. screen is larger than AP80

Aug 12, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #2,350 of 2,497
You already have the 3 buttons on the other side. so the wheel has no extra features (double-click to turn the screen is available)

I'd rate M5s>R3Pro>AP80Pro
if you liked the M0 you may consider the Q1. screen is larger than AP80

Sorry, not sure if you’re saying the m5s is “greater than” the other two, or if this is leading up in a hierarchy where ap80pro is the best of the three?

Also, the m2x...where’s that fit in the hierarchy?

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #2,351 of 2,497
I never tried the M2x. so cannot comment.
I only rated based on my preference in sound quality alone. M5s being the better one. R3 Pro second and lastly the AP80Pro. that's not to say the AP80Pro is bad at all.
it is around the same level as the Q1 and other players in the price range. I just like the R3 Pro a bit more (than AP80 or Q1)

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2,353 of 2,497
I never tried the M2x. so cannot comment.
I only rated based on my preference in sound quality alone. M5s being the better one. R3 Pro second and lastly the AP80Pro. that's not to say the AP80Pro is bad at all.
it is around the same level as the Q1 and other players in the price range. I just like the R3 Pro a bit more (than AP80 or Q1)

So I just got the R3Pro and a quick a/b between it and my M0 and I still prefer the M0. It's a shame cause I absolutely love the form factor of the R3Pro and the UI seems nice but the m0 just brings songs to life for me in a way that the Hiby doesn't. There's a nice smooth warm but lively sound from the m0 I love. I now wonder if I should try the M2X or the M5S next. I just want a player that has a full screen (bigger than m0) and that sounds as good or better.

Aug 15, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #2,354 of 2,497
So I just got the R3Pro and a quick a/b between it and my M0 and I still prefer the M0. It's a shame cause I absolutely love the form factor of the R3Pro and the UI seems nice but the m0 just brings songs to life for me in a way that the Hiby doesn't. There's a nice smooth warm but lively sound from the m0 I love. I now wonder if I should try the M2X or the M5S next. I just want a player that has a full screen (bigger than m0) and that sounds as good or better.
I have a friend that had tried m2x & said it's crap sounding. They are bright & flat compared to their other line of DAPs. So better to just get the M5s.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:57 PM Post #2,355 of 2,497
I have a friend that had tried m2x & said it's *** sounding. They are bright & flat compared to their other line of DAPs. So better to just get the M5s.

Hard to imagine it’s that bad sounding but in any case I ordered one and I also have an M5S coming from the Linsoul summer sale. We’ll see how they stack up against each other.

Hows the Blessing 2 sound with the M5S btw?

Lastly, can someone describe the process to transfer files to the dap via WiFi? This is not addressed in the manual.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back